Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rings

Mycroft

One Too Many
I have both a signet ring with my iniicials and a class ring. I wear them on alternate weeks. Signet rings are a tradion in my family kinda, do they have a bad conotation.

newspapercowboy

Familiar Face
Signet ring

I plan to buy a gold ring with my Scottish clan crest on it including motto...currently I wear a simple garnet ring.
Question
Do I wear such a ring so I can read the motto or so others can? Also is such a ring appropriate for a pinkie

Flitcraft

One Too Many
A signet ring is usually engraved in the obverse- its designed so you can press the ring in a pool of hot wax to seal a document or letter.

newspapercowboy

Familiar Face
Flitcraft said:
A signet ring is usually engraved in the obverse- its designed so you can press the ring in a pool of hot wax to seal a document or letter.

Yes, but do i wear it so the motto can be read by me or by someone looking at it, as in someone who shakes that hand and looks down?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
newspapercowboy said:
Yes, but do i wear it so the motto can be read by me or by someone looking at it, as in someone who shakes that hand and looks down?

You wear it so the motto faces other people. Not in order to show them, but to be able to press the ring (while on your finger) into a wax seal and have the impression come out right side up.

6StringShooter

One of the Regulars
I would imagine that it would be worn so that others could see it...that way you would not have to invert the theoretical hot wax on the back of the letter...It's traditionally worn on the left pinky (to my knowledge).

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
Yet Prince Charles wears his signet ring on his pinkie, as do many royals.

...he's Prince Charles.

I'll float the idea that likely the 'pinky ring people' mafioso mentality likely stemmed from a desire to appear as a royal or old-money, old-world type.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I was a little uneasy about it, until I saw the picture of General Patton wearing a pinky ring.
My signet ring is actually one of the TWO wedding rings I wear. Both on the left hand.

MissHuff

A-List Customer
Oh dear.. why did you post this. I'm just gonna have to print out the entire website and casually leave them around the house for my s.o. to find. Like inside the fridge, on the door, bathroom mirror, taped to his forhead.. etc. :D We haven't been in the best economic position to purchase an official ring but these are gorgeous and the prices are nice.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
GASP! *dies*

ew343-u.jpg

Now I just need to find some sucker to marry me! lol

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I highly recommend Leigh Jay Nacht at Antique Engagement Rings. He stocks vintage rings and vintage reproductions.

My wedding band was made by him and he couldn't have been nicer or given me speedier service. He was also able to engrave dates on the interior of my ring even though it was only 1.5 mm--most other vendors said they couldn't do it.

Another bit of advice--spring for the platinum if you can. It's so nice not to have to deal with the tarnish!

http://antiqueengagementrings.com/Default.aspx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran