Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Riveted Holes in hats

KatintheHat

Suspended
I have a couple Akrubras, with holes.

My David Morgan Bushman has the chinstrap holes (thin ribbon) so... I put a
1" ribbon on it to cover the holes. Then I put the thin ribbon on my Akubra Riverina (High Holes). I'd have to cut over an inch off the brim and do a 1955 Pork Pie Ribbon to cover those holes.

Question...

Do those damn holes detract from a hat's aesthetic value?

They are great hats, but the holes bug me.

They both look great, no doubt. Why does it bug me?

Stoney

Practically Family
I really don't like them either

To each his own. If I had a hat with vent holes near the brim I would most likely cover them as well. They do serve a purpose when it's hot outside.But then that's when I switch to straw or plan on being in AC spaces most of the day. [huh]

KatintheHat

Suspended
To me... seeing the eyelets denote "Cowboy" more than anything. :)

And there's nuthin wrong w/ that. It's just hard trying to pull off a fedora bash on the Riverina.

Morgan Freeman wore a hat with holes in the movie Se7en. And I kept wondering, "Why the holes?"

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
My favored Akubra Squatter has the chin strap hooks, and I would durn sure prefer that they weren't there, but I just quit worryin' about it, and it doesn't bother me much now.

Tone

A-List Customer
High holes, yes. Chinstrap holes, no.

The lower, ribbon-level, holes of the Bushman and Squatter don't bother me - and don't throw off the hat's aesthetic value. They are simply chinstrap holes that are not in use on an otherwise full-felt hat. I like the fact that they can be covered up with a ribbon as well and still churn out a variety of creased fedora styles (while still being working hats underneath it all - if they had to be.)

The Riverina and other high-placed grommet hats seem more consciously designed for the function of venting and field work for those who actually DO field work; need a hat; and need it on for long periods of time for performance over fashion. Yes, they do have a more "cowboy" look to them; not necessarily my choice for hats or for turning into fedoras, but I can see the sense behind them.

So, on one hand, the Squatters and Bushmans (is it "Bushmen" even though inanimate?[huh] )do have chinstrap holes but still pass as fedoras to me.

I could turn a Squatter into a cowboy-ish hat but I could not convince myself to think of a Riverina (even re-creased) as a fedora as long as those vent holes were in it.

One set for straps; the other for venting; but not seen as the same hats at all.

Holes on the side- like a Buick?

I have both a Squatter and a Bushman from David Morgan and they come with the holes. I bashed them both in a fedora fashion and wear them regularly.

I rarely notice the holes, they seem to me to be small and rather unobtrusive.

KatintheHat

Suspended
I was wondering about the high hat holes and the history of them. Is it an Aussie or American Cowboy thing? I'm wondering when it started. I don't recall seeing it much on American cowboy hats until recent history.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Riverina. I may even try a puggaree wrap on it next summer. Got a thin ribbon on it now, RBH... hehe :D

KatintheHat said:
I was wondering about the high hat holes and the history of them. Is it an Aussie or American Cowboy thing? I'm wondering when it started. I don't recall seeing it much on American cowboy hats until recent history.

In the Henry Ermatinger book (you know, the "Scientific" hatter's how-to originally published in 1919) there's the suggestion that the hat refurbisher put a grommet around a hole worn into the crown (by excessive handling, presumably) and another one just like it on the direct opposite side of the crown, and then reblock the stripped-down body, but turn it 90 degrees, so that the front and back become the sides, and vice-versa.

I agree that the grommets leave a hat looking more like work wear than Sunday-go-to-meetin' attire, but ain't nuttin' wrong with that, neither.

KatintheHat

Suspended
Update:

I reblocked the Riverina. C-crown, swoop in the front, snap in the back, fedora-like. I can snap it up in back when in town and down when hangin with barnyard critters. It's a real Town and Country hat, now.

Between the thin ribbon treatment and bound edge... It Is a dressy work hat.

I also found a solution for the grommet holes... Duct Tape. A little on the back side does a wonderful job of blocking that Below Zero Wind Chill Factor. :)

BTW, thanks for adding the word grommet to my vocabulary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn