Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Road to Perdition?1930's era films

moustache

Practically Family
Being a newbie here,i have not had time to peruse all of the back posts.
So i will just ask anew.
I have always adored the film "Road to Perdition".It has to be one of the best movies i have ever seen in relation to costume from the 1930's.In almost every detail. Even the soundtrack is glorious!! I spent a few afternoons learning the piano pieces i liked it that much!

What do you consider your favourite 1930's era film made in the lat 1990's??

JD Ross
Vancouver,Wa

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, I have a few, but they were made in 2000 or later.
I really liked "Road To Predition" too. It is an all around great movie, and I think Tom Hanks is wonderful in it.
Two movies that I really enjoy are "The Aviator" and "The Notebook"
I liked both of these movies mostly due to their costumes. They both emulate the era so well. I've always loved the blue dress that Rachel McAdams wears in "The Notebook", and just saw that Stop Staring is making a copy similar to it. The acting in this movie isn't the greatest, but it is a beautiful film to watch.
As for "The Aviator", I could watch this film over and over again. Actually, I have! It's beautiful to watch, and all of the cast are great to look at. Leo, Kate and Cate do a fantastic job re-creating the feel of the golden era. It does drag on a bit for the last 45 minutes, there are definitely scenes that could have been left out. But, these scenes really do show Howard Hughes for the man he turned into.
Other movies that emulate the early 20th century very well are "Radio Days", "Lost in Yonkers", Wings of The Dove Gosh, I have a list of others, but they are not coming to mind at the moment. I'm sure they will be mentioned by others.
Great idea for a thread, Moustache. I'm hoping to hear about some movies that are based in the early 20th century that I have yet to hear about or see.

moustache

Practically Family
Indeed!!

Daisy Buchanan said:
Well, I have a few, but they were made in 2000 or later.
I really liked "Road To Predition" too. It is an all around great movie, and I think Tom Hanks is wonderful in it.
Two movies that I really enjoy are "The Aviator" and "The Notebook"
I liked both of these movies mostly due to their costumes. They both emulate the era so well. I've always loved the blue dress that Rachel McAdams wears in "The Notebook", and just saw that Stop Staring is making a copy similar to it. The acting in this movie isn't the greatest, but it is a beautiful film to watch.
As for "The Aviator", I could watch this film over and over again. Actually, I have! It's beautiful to watch, and all of the cast are great to look at. Leo, Kate and Cate do a fantastic job re-creating the feel of the golden era. It does drag on a bit for the last 45 minutes, there are definitely scenes that could have been left out. But, these scenes really do show Howard Hughes for the man he turned into.
Other movies that emulate the early 20th century very well are "Radio Days", "Lost in Yonkers", Wings of The Dove Gosh, I have a list of others, but they are not coming to mind at the moment. I'm sure they will be mentioned by others.
Great idea for a thread, Moustache. I'm hoping to hear about some movies that are based in the early 20th century that I have yet to hear about or see.

Thanks Daisy,for reminding me of The Aviator". Cannot stand LD Caprio but Blanchett was stunning!!And the costumes,cars and sets were a delight!!
Of course,"The Sting" was great as well. We need a listing of all movies in each era.By the decade.That would be a valuable page.

Moustache

Elaina

One Too Many
Evita. I actually love the costumes Madonna wears in it (even if I yell at the TV about them not being real). Loved the Notebook too.

Uh, okay. I don't watch much TV. I have books written in the late 1990's about that era, which are good. Does it count?

Elaina

moustache

Practically Family
Paper Moon

RBH said:
Two of mine...
its from 1973, but its great
Paper Moon

And from 1996
Last man Standing.

Paper Moon was a delightful film as well. i would say it was Ryan O'Neal's best film,bar none.
Now i'm starting to remember a few more: I know "The Untouchables" has been mentioned.Also, "A River run's through it" had a combination of both 20's and 30's style. And one of the best movies of the late 20th century in my opinion (then i'm biased as having grown up in Montana and learned to fly fish the exact same rivers!).
"Brideshead Revisited" was good.For Russian costume,"Burnt by the sun".
And "Gosford Park"

Moustache

Daisy Buchanan

moustache said:
Thanks Daisy,for reminding me of The Aviator". Cannot stand LD Caprio but Blanchett was stunning!!And the costumes,cars and sets were a delight!!
Of course,"The Sting" was great as well. We need a listing of all movies in each era.By the decade.That would be a valuable page.

Moustache
Oh Yes, "The Sting", that is a wonderful movie. One of the first complete songs I learned to play on the piano was "The Entertainer"
Yes, Blanchett certainly was stunning. Both she and Beckinsale did wonderful performances, and really carried themselves like the true Hollywood starlettes that they were portraying. I just really enjoyed "looking" at this film. Everything from the somewhat muted colors of the production, to the make-up, hair, accessories and clothes were simply perfect to look at. "The Aviator's" costume designer, Sandy Powell, won an Oscar for her genius. All in all, "The Aviator" won 5 Oscars, Blanchett took one home for Best supporting Actress. It also won for art direction, cinematography, and best editing. There were also six other nominations, including one for Leo as best actor. Just my opinion, but I thought he did a very good job. Also, I'm a big Scorsese fan. Leo and he are working together again in "The Departed". A film about the Boston State Police department and the Irish Mob. I have seen a few of the trailers for this film, and I think it looks pretty good. Maybe I'm a bit biased though. I'm from Boston and like to see the city I live in on film. But, Leo and Scorsese seem to work really well together. This combination makes me want to see this film. The trailers and commercials for it make it look pretty exciting. I'm not a huge fan of Matt Damon, but I do enjoy watching Jack Nicholson. Here's the page on IMDB about the film.
"Gangs of New York" is another Leo film that I enjoyed. It takes place much earlier than the era that we are discussing, but I just thought I'd mention it because I think it's another pretty good performance by DiCaprio.
I actually am becoming a bit of a fan of DiCaprio, as if all my talk about him doesn't make this incredibly obvious!:D He seems to be coming into his own. Aside from "The Aviator", I enjoyed his performance as Frank Abignale, Jr. in "Catch Me If You Can"[/b]. The parts he has been taking are pretty large. I think he has a pretty good ability to get into character. His performances have a wider range than some of the other parts taken by other actors. He is actually going to be playing Theodore Roosevelt in an upcoming film (2008) about him. Here's the IMDB page about him. I think he's come a long way since he was in "The Beach". Definitely on my top ten list of all-time worst movies.

moustache

Practically Family
Gangs of New York

Daisy Buchanan said:
Oh Yes, "The Sting", that is a wonderful movie. One of the first complete songs I learned to play on the piano was "The Entertainer"
Yes, Blanchett certainly was stunning. Both she and Beckinsale did wonderful performances, and really carried themselves like the true Hollywood starlettes that they were portraying. I just really enjoyed "looking" at this film. Everything from the somewhat muted colors of the production, to the make-up, hair, accessories and clothes were simply perfect to look at. "The Aviator's" costume designer, Sandy Powell, won an Oscar for her genius. All in all, "The Aviator" won 5 Oscars, Blanchett took one home for Best supporting Actress. It also won for art direction, cinematography, and best editing. There were also six other nominations, including one for Leo as best actor. Just my opinion, but I thought he did a very good job. Also, I'm a big Scorsese fan. Leo and he are working together again in "The Departed". A film about the Boston State Police department and the Irish Mob. I have seen a few of the trailers for this film, and I think it looks pretty good. Maybe I'm a bit biased though. I'm from Boston and like to see the city I live in on film. But, Leo and Scorsese seem to work really well together. This combination makes me want to see this film. The trailers and commercials for it make it look pretty exciting. I'm not a huge fan of Matt Damon, but I do enjoy watching Jack Nicholson. Here's the page on IMDB about the film.
"Gangs of New York" is another Leo film that I enjoyed. It takes place much earlier than the era that we are discussing, but I just thought I'd mention it because I think it's another pretty good performance by DiCaprio.
I actually am becoming a bit of a fan of DiCaprio, as if all my talk about him doesn't make this incredibly obvious!:D He seems to be coming into his own. Aside from "The Aviator", I enjoyed his performance as Frank Abignale, Jr. in "Catch Me If You Can"[/b]. The parts he has been taking are pretty large. I think he has a pretty good ability to get into character. His performances have a wider range than some of the other parts taken by other actors. He is actually going to be playing Theodore Roosevelt in an upcoming film (2008) about him. Here's the IMDB page about him. I think he's come a long way since he was in "The Beach". Definitely on my top ten list of all-time worst movies.

I adore Boston!! My favourite "big city" in the US.Being from the pacific Northwest,we really don't have cities that large.Seattle is getting there though and Portland is right behind.I won't mention California cities as i really don't like the state all too much. Was born there and that was bad enough!! LOL (All in jest,of course)
I want to see "The Departed". Looks good.
Now "Gangs of New York" was a delight as costumes go too!! And who can forget that handlebar moustache of Daniel Day Lewis?! Maybe i'm biased there as well!!

Moustache

Daisy Buchanan

OOh, "The Untouchables", I really enjoyed this film. "Legends Of The Fall" and "A River Runs Through It" are two other films that I liked. All are visibly quite pleasing. It is so important that a film is a feast for the eyes. Some films can be nearly intolerable, but I'll sit through them because of great costuming and cinematography.
I have a feeling I'm gonna be chiming in a bit on this thread (Gee, that's a surprise!) You all keep on mentioning films that I didn't remember but really enjoyed.

carebear

30's - Miller's Crossing - Gabriel Byrne in a Coen Bros film? Wicked good

40's - LA Confidential - Kim Basinger ooh la la

Daisy Buchanan

Hemingway Jones said:
Well, it was 2003, I think, but let's not forget Bright Young Things.

Brideshead Revisted comes out on DVD in a week or two, so be on the lookout for that one. ;)
Oh My Goodness! I can't believe I forgot to mention "Bright Young Things". This is definitely one of my all time favorite films. The story is fun, the cast is superb (Dan Akroyd and Stockard Channing are fabulous in this British film), and the costumes are simply incredible. Every scene reveals even better, and sometimes more outrageous, costumes. Both the men and woman pull off their characters so well. Everything they do makes me believe that I am watching people from the golden era, not people of the 21st century. Oh, did I mention the clothes!! Also has a fantastic soundtrack. It's just an all around fun, sexy, astonishing film to watch. I can watch this over and over again, and not get bored.

Funny both "Evita" and "The Notebook" are on on two different premium channels right now. I'm chosing to watch "The Notebook" because, although the clothing is really amazing in "Evita", I find Madonna really unbearable to watch. Just strange that we should be talking about both these films and there they are.
Both "Radio Day's" and "Lost in Yonkers" were playing yesterday.
There seems to be not only a lot of movies inspired by the Golden era being released this fall. But, it also seems that a lot of the premium channels are playing such movies too. I wonder if they are playing them because they match the movie style that is out in theaters right now.
Oh, ["A Month By The Lake" is another vintage inspired film that is nice to look at. I know that there is a thread about this film somewhere around the lounge. The scenery in this film alone makes it lovely to watch. This, topped off with a shining Vanessa Redgrave and great clothes, makes for a very good watch.

Daisy Buchanan

Just remembered another one, although it's from much earlier than the golden era, "O'Brother Where Art Thou". What a fun movie to watch. George Clooney was so silly in it.
Also mentioned in another thread is the movie based on the story of Ma Baker. The clothes in that are great too, and the actors all worked quite well together.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
I really have no interest in prison movies, but Shawshank Redemption, & The Green Mile are fine films.

Yes, the piano theme in RoadtoPerdition is very emotive. Cant recall another movie w/ a similar soundtrack.

Oh, I liked SkyCaptain for its style as well.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
1930's era films

I enjoyed Road to Perdition and the much earlier Oscar winner,
The Sting for locale, period wardrobe...right down to the shoes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner