Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Robert Stanford Tuck: R.A.F ace

ukali1066

Practically Family
I've always thought Robert Stanford Tuck typified the quintessential R.A.F gentleman pilot of WW2, he was also rather deadly with 27 confirmed aerial kills.
I was surprised to learn that he was actually Jewish, I like this part of an interview with him by Bob Cunningham where he recalled being shot down and meeting German ace Adolf Galland..

CUNNINGHAM: You put some shots into the flak battery that shot you down didn't you? How were you treated when they captured you?

TUCK: Yes. I knew that the Spit had bought it and I was going down. I made (me last pass at the flak truck - because they were still shooting at me - and I hit it good just before going in. It was a pretty rough landing and I got out with a nasty bump on the head and a bleeding nose. And the Germans came up and grabbed me and pushed and shoved me back to the wreck of the flak truck. I thought they were going to show me what I'd done to their comrades and then string me up or something of that sort. But when we got there - the thing was still smoking and bodies laying around - they began to laugh and point to the guns, and they were telling me "Good shot, Englander!" You see, by some fluke one of my shells had gone directly down the barrel of one of their guns and exploded. And they thought that was funny. And a good thing it was that they did!

CUNNINGHAM: And after that you met General Adolf Galland...

TUCK: Before I was taken off to prison in Germany, Galland and his pilots of the Luftwaffe fighter squadrons based at St. Omer gave a dinner for me. He was, and is, quite a grand gentleman. He was an Oberstleutnant [Lieutenant Colonel] at that time, but later commanded the entire German fighter corps. We had a very nice evening, and I was amazed at the feeling of comradeship we seemed to have. But then, of course, they had to send me off to prison.......

Note:
Before sending Tuck off to prison, Galland told him, “ I'm glad you're not badly injured, and that now you will not have to risk your life any more.” After the war they met again and have since become very close friends. Tuck's luck seemed to desert him for awhile, and he remained a prisoner until January of 1945. Then he and a Polish pilot escaped and walked to the Russian lines, and finally to Odessa where Tuck and his comrade smuggled themselves and the wife of another Polish pilot (who was fighting in Britain) aboard a British merchantman bound for Southampton. After an absence of more than three years, 'Lucky Tuck'. made his way back home again!
Tuck_in_cockpit.jpg

rstuckdt_12.jpg

rstuckdt_1.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
If you are a Tuck fan you will no doubt have read his biography "Fly for your Life", but if by some chance you haven't, pick it up, great read.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Smithy said:
If you are a Tuck fan you will no doubt have read his biography "Fly for your Life", but if by some chance you haven't, pick it up, great read.
That is a good read, but relatively few people on this side of the pond know about the limited-run reproduction of Tuck's Pilot's Logs. I bought my copy at the RAF Museum in 1995, and it is fascinating to read as well.
Just as an aside, although I never met Tuck, I did have the pleasure of meeting Galland in 1990. A few years before that meeting, I was having a disagreement with a mutual friend of mine and Galland's regarding the report that he had asked Goering (during the Battle of Britain) for a squadron of Spitfires. My friend said that it was taken out of context, and he had asked Goering for a plane that was as easy to fly as the Spitfire. Given this meeting, I took the opportunity to put an end to the disagreement and get the answer straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak. I asked Galland if he had actually asked Goering for a squadron of Spitfires, and he said "No, I asked him for a whole WING of Spitfires!" That was even better than the answer I was hoping for.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Yup dhermann, that's Tuck's Hurricane V6864 which he flew from December 1940 until April 1941 whilst CO of 257 (Burma) Sqn.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
That's true Twitch, although it must also be said that many British former RAF fighter pilots (and quite a few German as well) couldn't stand Galland after the war. Many thought he was playing the role of "The Good German". Christopher Foxley-Norris rather famously summed those feelings up by stating publicly, "Galland was a sh*t."

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
One one hand I can easily see how making an extra effort to be the nice chap was left to Galland. After all he was the leader of the fighter pilots.

And being a super nice fellow was probably called for, as even today we have ignorant people that equate Germans to Nazis on this forum. He may have overdone it at times but he had the credentials to do it. lol

The Amerian Fighter Aces Assoc. had trips to Germany and the German orginization came here. Average guys met and became friends. What was often amazing is that in conversations these strangers would realize they were in the same battle!

Galland was such a tower of historical knowlwdge. He was personally involved in so much Luftwaffe history at such a high level his loss was great. And all the pilots remaining shared a part in history from their perspectives in combats in which they participated.

For that matter all veterans from all services everywhere have history to share. Every sailor and soldier from Russia to Australia have stories. Thank God for History Channel and other documentary oriented entities that have preserved principal participants' stories that are no longer with us!:) :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24