Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Roller size recommendations?

Heather

Practically Family
I've been using yellow rollers (3/8") since I started growing out my Louise Brooks bob. It gave me cute Marilyn hair when it was a little longer than that but now I look like a poodle when I take them out. I'm looking to upgrade. What size curler would you recommend for hair a little below shoulder length? I also have red and blue rollers (not sure on the size at the moment) but they seem to give me more waves vs curls and i want curls! I only do a basic 9 section wet set and pin curl it every night.

ginfizz

One of the Regulars
A good general rule for rollers is that to create a curl they need to wrap around your hair at least 2 times, anything less will be a wave. Then after that the more times they roll around will make the curl tighter.
My hair is just above my shoulder and I find that the pink sponge rollers (I assume that's what you're talking about) create a bit of a curl but they are easily brushed out where the teal bluish ones create a pretty solid curl but not a fro.

Last edited:

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
My hair is past my shoulders, and to set it I use 1 3/4" rollers, which are quite large. I find that even if it it overset (comes out tighter than I wanted) the curls are big enough that I can brush them out easily. The curls will come out smoother with larger rollers, too.

The only problem is, with rollers this size, you get into plastic territory, which is no fun to sleep on.

ginfizz

One of the Regulars
I think that'll look really nice. Just make sure to use a pick in the front so you don't get those ugly lines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass