Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rollers/Curlers getting them to stay put...

Cheesecakecutie

Familiar Face
:rage: I have tried all kinds of curlers (u.s) and rollers (u.K).....i like to use the hot ones as i find i get a reallly nice shiny curl....trouble is they won't stay put they fall out even with a head scarf...so frustrating...whereas when i use sponge ones on towel dry hair they get all frizzy and knotty.....and never dry even when i sleep in them.The same thing happens with rags and pincurls. I think it is because i have REALLY long hair. I do section it off quite small but doesn't make any difference.

So question is what is your favorite method , and brand of curler/roller.???
And does anyone else get this problem....???

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
When I use sleeping-rollers I usually roll them up dry and than spray water and setting lotion over it. Not that much, but enough to make it slightly damp. Like that it will be dry in the morning and perfectly set. Maybe you are also using too small rollers? you should try bigger ones and see how it turns out. They won´t be that frizzy than.

I have problems keeping hot rollers on my head, too for a longer time than lets day 20 minutes so I´m curious to hear how other ladies do it.

texasgirl

One Too Many
You might try these. They work on me when I use the real big rollers.
http://www.conair.com/super-clips-p-46-4_0_1_14.html
I do think it is probably because your hair is so long. When I used to perm really long hair, I used a piggy back method. You use two rollers. Start in the middle and roll up to your scalp. Then you will have a long strand hanging out, roll that up with another roller. If that makes sense!?!?!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Cheesecakecutie said:
:rage: I have tried all kinds of curlers (u.s) and rollers (u.K).....i like to use the hot ones as i find i get a reallly nice shiny curl....trouble is they won't stay put they fall out even with a head scarf...so frustrating...whereas when i use sponge ones on towel dry hair they get all frizzy and knotty.....and never dry even when i sleep in them.The same thing happens with rags and pincurls. I think it is because i have REALLY long hair. I do section it off quite small but doesn't make any difference.

If you are getting frizzies, try setting with lotion and pomade. Try using bigger sections to roll your hair. If your hair is staying damp, roll it dry. My hair will never dry if I roll it damp - I just use a bit of setting lotion mixed with pomade and it works perfectly - I use a mix of pillow rollers (like rag curlers - long spongy rollers covered in fabric, with ends that snap together), sponge rollers and pincurls.

Cheesecakecutie

Familiar Face
When I use sleeping-rollers I usually roll them up dry and than spray water and setting lotion over it. Not that much, but enough to make it slightly damp. Like that it will be dry in the morning and perfectly set. Maybe you are also using too small rollers? you should try bigger ones and see how it turns out. They won´t be that frizzy than.

That I have never tried...I shall give it a whirl.......It makes sense.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If you are getting frizzies, try setting with lotion and pomade. Try using bigger sections to roll your hair. If your hair is staying damp, roll it dry. My hair will never dry if I roll it damp - I just use a bit of setting lotion mixed with pomade and it works perfectly - I use a mix of pillow rollers (like rag curlers - long spongy rollers covered in fabric, with ends that snap together), sponge rollers and pincurls.

Excuse my ignorance but what is pomade ????
i have never heard of it . I have had problems getting a decent setting lotion....Any of you english lassies know of a decent one???

Also i am yet to find the sleeper rollers over here...i have got the ones from superdrug made of sponge.
Thanks gals:D

lyburnum

Practically Family
I use boots own brand velcro rollers. I set my hair first with lotion (boots stocks wella and amami setting lotions - you may have to ask though as they're normally hidden away!), then i section my hair, smooth it with a comb and roll away. As your hair gets longer, you'll need to use bigger rollers as otherwise the hair won't air properly. Also, make sure your sections are small enough, if they're not the hair won't dry properly. I pin each hair in place with a kirby grip, then lightly spray it with hair spray, cover it in a net and sleep!

If you still have trouble finding the setting lotion, you could try making your own with flax/linseed. It's a little messy but lasts for ages, and can be watered down to your preferred strength. You can also add a frangrance to it, in the 40s i know it was popular to put a little lavender oil in it to make the hair smell nice.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Cheesecakecutie said:
i have never heard of it . I have had problems getting a decent setting lotion....Any of you english lassies know of a decent one???

In england I know they carry the Black and White brand pomades... you may want to give the LITE hold a try. It smells nice too! I prefer a "hair dressing" such as Royal Crown..but maybe they have VO-5 there? When my hair is short I LOVE to use black and white pomade.. it's my fave!

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Also make sure your hair isn't soaking wet when you're setting it overnight. I blowdry mine until it's nearly dry, spray each section 3 times over with setting lotion, comb through and wet the ends with water to avoid the frizz. It just takes some getting used to and you have to experiment rather a lot to find out how your hair reacts to each method. I would recommend Lottabody setting lotion which is purple and comes in a huge bottle, I got mine from Ebay for about £7. It's so much better than the ones that Superdrugs and Boots sell in my opinion. I've also had some good results with Pantenes curl gel spray but the hold isn't as great for me. Also if you still get some frizz after all of that then try using a tiny bit of serum to smooth them out. Oh and the pillow curlers which I think you're referring to, I also got these from Ebay in the US as I couldn't find any here in the UK. I use these everyday to achieve a pageboy and they're quite good, although I might need to buy a new pack soon as they flatten out after a while.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Cheesecakecutie said:

For setting lotion, most of the ladies prefer Lottabody. I think there's a whole thread on it here. You can find it at most beauty supply stores. I recommend it over the Wella setting lotion. Wella gave me seriously crunchy curls.

"pomade" is also known as hair grease. It's mostly a men's product used for shine and hold and if used for curls should be used in small amounts. Products like Royal Crown or VO5 Sheer hairdressing, brylcreem, black and white....

Miss Brill

One Too Many
I like the bendable rollers. They stay in quite well & they don't leave creases. Plus, it doesn't matter how much hair you gather to roll, because it adjusts to any size. For me the key to not being frizzy is to use more hair, and make sure it is smoothed into the endpaper (toilet paper can be used to make end papers that go all the way up to the roots, if you want), and to not let it stay curled for very long. I get some really big hair if I sleep in curlers, but it will be tamer if it just sets for 4-5 hours. I think you mostly have to figure out what your hair wants to do & do it.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Bendable rollers, those are going to be my next expirement! I recently tried the pillow rollers, and They were very nice, super comfy to sleep in, and worked great for a pageboy. I found that I really prefer rolling with toilet paper. The squares are larger and easier to handle than end papers, easy to grasp and don't stick together. I set my hair barely damp... after sitting in a hair turban for an hour or so. It all worked out nicely. I'm finding that with every different type of roller, you get a different effect. Sometimes it may be a small difference, sometimes not. It's fun to try it out though. On to bendables!!

Cheesecakecutie

Familiar Face
For setting lotion, most of the ladies prefer Lottabody. I think there's a whole thread on it here. You can find it at most beauty supply stores. I recommend it over the Wella setting lotion. Wella gave me seriously crunchy curls.

"pomade" is also known as hair grease. It's mostly a men's product used for shine and hold and if used for curls should be used in small amounts. Products like Royal Crown or VO5 Sheer hairdressing, brylcreem, black and white....

Ok so now i know what it is...but when would i use it?? Do i mix it with the water setting lotion solution, or after i've curled, Questions questions....as its a kind of greasy affair, wouldn't it make the curls fall out.???
:p

Miss Brill

One Too Many
~*Red*~ said:
I found that I really prefer rolling with toilet paper. The squares are larger and easier to handle than end papers, easy to grasp and don't stick together.

That reminds me, I used to set my hair with paper, usually those little order books that Avon reps used to use. I was one at the time & I used to request extras (free) when I'd turn an order in, so I'd have extra books to set my hair with. They were a perfect size, about the size of an index card, and they had sort of a newspaper texture, but I didn't have to mess with tearing paper & getting ink on my hands. I guess any newspapery-type paper would do though. I learned this trick after reading a bio of Katherine Hepburn, because that is how she would set her hair because the paper would make it dry faster.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Cheesecakecutie said:
Ok so now i know what it is...but when would i use it?? Do i mix it with the water setting lotion solution, or after i've curled, Questions questions....as its a kind of greasy affair, wouldn't it make the curls fall out.???
:p

I think you're really making this out to be more complicated than it is :)

You put in your setting lotion and then you just add some pomade to the ends of your hair for smoothness and to prevent frizzies. It doesn't take very much, but you really just have to use trial and error to figure out what works for you.

I don't like mixing setting lotion with water. My hair takes too long to dry and I don't get the hold I need. A lot of girls use the Lottabody undiluted. Again, you just have to try it to see what you prefer - everyone's hair is different.

As for the pomade, no it's not that greasy and if it is, you're using too much. Red has been setting her hair just using Royal Crown pomade and it looks great. You can also use one of the numerous smoothing shine serums that are on the market. Just remember that a little is all it takes!

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Rainbow said:
Can you sleep in the bendable rollers?.....not the pillow, but the ones that are long and straight....

I have a few times. They make some that are a soft rigid foam, and the ones I usually use are Clairol Benders, which are a harder rubber, I don't think the Hot Sticks (I bought some the other day) would stay if you tried to sleep in them. The Benders didn't hurt my head, because I used to have long hair & wouldn't roll them all the way up. The Benders take up a lot of space on your head if you roll all the way to the root, so you'd be sleeping on a good chunk of roller and hair.

Cheesecakecutie

Familiar Face
Kitty T said
I think you're really making this out to be more complicated than it is

I know lol lol lol lol lol lol lol but i really think i should get some length cut off my hair....i wandered round all day yesterday with curlers in.....i experimented with sponge ones , toilet paper rolled in....hot ones and pincurls.......the curls just fall out!! I used setting lotion and some anti frizz stuff (not pomade yet) I had them in for three hours...no luck.....I think the weight of my hair is just too much....but i will experiment with lottabody going to order some today.
Thankyou for all your advice....i am much less confused :p :p :p

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Fleur De Guerre said:
I don't think 3 hours with rollers in is nearly long enough. You should try an overnight cold set before you give up and have hair chopped off!

Wise words from Fleur! 3 hours is barely enough for me and my hair doesn't even hit my shoulders! Also, when I set mine, I zap it every so often with a blow dryer.

lyburnum

Practically Family
Yeah I totally agree with Fleur and KittyT - unless you have your own hood dryer (which most don't have the luxury of owning) you'll need to dry it over night. Takes a lot of getting used to sleeping in rollers, but there are more comfy ones designed to be slept in. You can also purchase extensions for your hair dryer (I can't for the life of me remember what they're called, my hairdresser told me about them and I never got around to purchasing one - surely someone here knows what I'm talking about?), but basically it's just an add on that heats your hair like a hood dryer would.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo