Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rough-Outs Dubbing.

Marv

A-List Customer
All the boots I have seen were dark in color, not the natural leather color it comes in. I've asked many of my WW-II friends exactly how they did it, and none could recall. Many however did recall using the top of an opened bottle of Coca-cola to smooth the rough side of the leather. They also told me that in boot camp they wore their boondockers in the shower a number of times, then let them dry on their feet to their boots would fit their feet exactly.[/QUOTE]

As far as I am aware and from what I have read, USMC didn't dub their boondockers and just wore them bare due to the hot pacific climate they want the water and sweat to soak through the leather allowing the feet to dry.

Not sure if there is any truth in this........

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Dad's roughouts from Fiji, Noumea, Wallis Island, and Guadalcanal (in 1945) look just like my dubbed ones. I think that one of the reasons no one remembers dubbing them is that it isn't either hard or particularly distasteful compared to the rest of boot camp and the war in general.

Later

obxgyrene

New in Town
As far as I am aware and from what I have read, USMC didn't dub their boondockers and just wore them bare due to the hot pacific climate they want the water and sweat to soak through the leather allowing the feet to dry.

Not sure if there is any truth in this........

I think it really depended on what unit you were with, and perhaps a specific point in time. The Commandant of the Marine Corps issued the following guidance:

15 March 1944

LETTER OF INSTRUCTION NO. 682

To: All Commanding Officers

Subject: Shoes, Field; Preservation of

1. Information has been received indicating that there is a widespread reluctance on the part of enlisted personnel to use dubbing on field shoes. This reluctance is based on the fact that the use of dubbing tends to increase foot perspiration. While such is the case, if dubbing is properly applied heating of the feet can be reduced, and the results accomplished by making a weather resistant leather offset the discomfort and danger of footsores. The regular application of dubbing to service shoes conserves their component leathers and thus prolongs the life of the shoes. The most efficient use of dubbing is obtained through frequent light applications well rubbed into the leather. The highly critical leather situation is such that steps must be taken toward the preservation of field shoes. It is, therefore, directed that instructions be issued requiring that dubbing be applied once per week to field shoes of all personnel operating in temperate climates, and twice per week (more if deemed necessary) when operating under wet or extremely dry conditions. Field shoes will not be polished.

A. A. VANDEGRIFT

obxgyrene

New in Town
Dad's roughouts from Fiji, Noumea, Wallis Island, and Guadalcanal (in 1945) look just like my dubbed ones.

I just completed the dubbing process on my boondockers and I agree 100-percent with your statement. Although polish was not supposed to be used on field shoes, I applied some cordovan very lightly after dubbing them and they came out looking like the real mac-coy. The dubbing process also seemed to have made the leather more supple which to me means they are more comfortable to wear.

Last edited:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Dubbing describes the act of applying grease or similar substance to shoes. Dubbing is also used as a name for the substance. Dubbin is a brand name.

Edward

Bartender
I'm a bit confused here. I'm not a re-enactor or even a lay authority on the subject the mantainence of rough-outs, but I could swear I've heard of dubbin or something like it being applied these boots. Applying anything (dubbin or polish) to suede sounds strange to me too, but there you go. Perhaps this can all be attributed to an acid flashback or something.

All the boots I have seen were dark in color, not the natural leather color it comes in. I've asked many of my WW-II friends exactly how they did it, and none could recall. Many however did recall using the top of an opened bottle of Coca-cola to smooth the rough side of the leather. They also told me that in boot camp they wore their boondockers in the shower a number of times, then let them dry on their feet to their boots would fit their feet exactly.

I have a pair of CAT boots that are roughouts. I treated them with dubbin to avoid staining. This darkened them from a honey to a tan colour. They will still stain much more easily than regular leather, but I like the look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran