Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ROUGH WEAR Clown collar

PLATON

New in Town
Hi guys,

I am thinking about buying a Rough Wear 1401 from Eastman but am a little concerned about what people say that it has a clown collar.

I wear size 40 and I kindly request anybody who owns RW 1401 from Eastman to give me the measurements of the collar

Collar length at base,
Collar hight at middle
Colllar hight at edges
Collar length at edge

I will appreciate very much.

Best regards,
Platon

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Can't lay hands on an image, but it can feel like you are wearing a collar that is disproportionately tall and stiff. Like if you turn your head to the left or right, your mouth will be behind a leather wall.

CBI

One Too Many
Yes, I have heard this as a concern with ELC RW's, that the collar is a little too large, stiff, etc. I have an ELC RW and I really don't find that to be the case and looking at period photos, collars are all over the map with shape, size, etc. even within the same manufacturers jackets. If you go with ELC and break the jacket in, the collar should be fine. What I DO like about this collar is that it stands up and I think in general looks better than something that lays down around your neck almost looking like a lapel. Again, period photos show all sorts of collars so I would not worry about authenticity too much. ELC does a great job and they should have standard sizes in stock so if there is a fit issue, you can exchange for another size. The leather is less grainy than some other premium repros but again, once there is some wear, the jacket looks great. As much as I love A-2's the standard Russet (dog poop) brown has never done it for me however my ELC RW which IS russet has a GREAT patina and I love it. Typically, I prefer the seal brown color (like ELC's 27752) for an A-2. Sorry, got off track. Good luck

rgraham

A-List Customer
One reason it may stick up is that there is a collar stand built into the jacket. A small strip of leather sewn in behind the bottom edge of the collar. This was eliminated from most other contracts, as it was a time / cost saving measure. I like the look of the RW collar, and to me, the others tend to end up having more of a pea coat looking collar.

You can check out what the collar stand looks like in this photo. http://www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/ev_images2/ELCrw27752_neck2.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I had one.

As Scott suggested, you can mash and sit on the collar and work it to lie pretty flat actually with some 'hot water treatment' (takes time and effort, but you can do it). But it is a 'stand-up' collar design.

Personally, if going with ELC, take a look at the Star A-2 (my fav Eastman A2).

IF you really, really must have a 1401, the other option is Goodwearleather.com as John Chapman will be reproducing this model (I hear).

Good Luck!

Jacob Dubow

Familiar Face
I own several ELC Rough Wear 1401-P and 27752 contract jackets. I don't have really any problem with the collars except on one jacket and I fixed it in short order.

All you have to do is take the jacket and carefully wet both sides of the collar under the kitchen sink faucet. I use warm/semi-hot temperature and try to keep any water off the lining. Wet one side, then turn it over and wet the other side. Do that several times until you can feel the leather begin to get thoroughly wet. Then pat the surface water off with a towel.

Next, lay the jacket out on a table of other large flat surface, front side up. Form the collar how you want to lay and look. Then let the jacket set undisturbed for 24 hours or so, until it is completely dry. This procedure has worked like a charm on several jackets......not just A-2's, but I used it on a Lost Worlds Suburban Jacket collar and it worked great.

J.A. Dubow......aka Ted

PLATON

New in Town
Thanks for all your advice guys i.e. mashing, wetting the collar etc.
Though all I asked was the measurements.

Can anyone provice measurements please?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Eastman's version of the Roughwear collar was/is too big.
Don't know if they corrected/acknowledged this.

But look at an original Roughwear, compared to other contractors' work and the collar is still a little clown-ish after you've seen the more nicely shaped and proportioned Dubows, Broncos, Monarchs, United Sheep, etc.

B
T

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BellyTank said:
Eastman's version of the Roughwear collar was/is too big.
Don't know if they corrected/acknowledged this.

But look at an original Roughwear, compared to other contractors' work and the collar is still a little clown-ish after you've seen the more nicely shaped and proportioned Dubows, Broncos, Monarchs, United Sheep, etc.

B
T

I actually like the RW collars. Here's my original 23380-CBI which IMO is not clownish.
8f68_1.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I'm afraid you can't edit your post after a couple of days.

My collar on a 1401P measures 3 & 3/8" high or so, including the collar stand, both at the back and front.

18 & 1/8 at the base bottom, 22" at the edge, measuring the collar above the stand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner