Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Round Midnight movie phono's

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
These, from 'Round Midnight, if anyone here's seen that movie...

temp_rmidnt.jpg
temp_rmidnt2.jpg

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I've seen the movie. I love the movie, and I love Dexter Gordon - Our Man In Paris is one of my faves.

But what's the context? Do you own these? Did you buy them? Did you work on the film? Are they part of a larger collection? Why when and how did you come by them?... etc.

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
jake_fink said:
I've seen the movie. I love the movie, and I love Dexter Gordon - Our Man In Paris is one of my faves.

But what's the context? Do you own these? Did you buy them? Did you work on the film? Are they part of a larger collection? Why when and how did you come by them?... etc.

Cool, wasn't sure if folks here knew about that stuff. What a great jazz movie, set in 1950s France, if anyone likes bop jazz they should really check it out... makes you want to "sell it all", pick up a horn and move to NYC :) (only for a second though)

WISH I could've worked on the film! Born too late to have worked on it in 1986... (have to go to school till you're 16) They sure did paint a captivating picture of the 50s France late night jazz scene didn't they.

Found the standalone turntable on eBay and the portable at a local flea market. The turntable was Swiss-made - Thorens was one of the best money could buy at that time. All very thick / heavy metal parts, built like a tank, belt-drive linkage to oversized rubber idler wheel, like a broadcast turntable...

Basically Round Midnight's the movie that turned some friends and me on from just listening to strictly 30s-40s swing to Hard Bop. Gordon's style became & still is my fave; after the 2 soundtrack LPs, had to scrounge up reissues of all of Dexter Gordon's Blue Note LPs on vinyl, even the "Landslide" unissued takes LP released in the 70s.

Went on a 50s-60s jazz kick up till last year or so, where I've gone back mainly to 30s-40s swing recently. But still have most of Dex's blue note tracks "in the mix" in the MP3 changer. They're so lyrical, they fit right with swing era stuff!

Whats your favorite Gordon LP?

Mine's still the first I heard after the movie soundtrack, a local late night DJ's choice: "GO!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo