Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Royal Stetson won!

WildCelt

One of the Regulars
The lounge has definitely been an education in the realm of clothing. I have finally gotten my first "real" fedora, a grey Royal Stetson w/ a bound brim.
(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140144645922&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=004)
When I get back to where I have a camera, I'll post pictures of it. Especially compared to the modern Stetson I have (a black wool fedora), this is incredible! It has soft and flexible felt instead of rough, hard hat type felt and the finish is much finer.

Can anyone tell what era this hat comes from?

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Ah yes, I too noticed that auction. I've spent too much on hats lately though am am forcing myself to take a break until at least next fall.

Very nice addition indeed. Wear with joy! :eusa_clap

nulty

One of the Regulars
If the box is original it's early to mid 50's..more early.... Even if it's not I'd still say it's that time period. I Love the Royal Stetsons from that time. Very Everyman but still classic.

Nice Job..

Enjoy.....

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
nulty said:
If the box is original it's early to mid 50's..more early.... Even if it's not I'd still say it's that time period. I Love the Royal Stetsons from that time. Very Everyman but still classic.

Nice Job..

Enjoy.....

I'm not so sure about that, Nulty. The Snyder Stetson book has a photograph of that box that dates it to the mid-60's. If the box is original, that's the time period I'd guess for the hat. Some photos of the hat, inside and out, may offer some other clues. The color of the lining may be one of them...

Cheers,
JtL

nulty

One of the Regulars
That could be correct Jimmy..

I was basing the date on a box I have that contained a hat given to the mailman of someone who worked at Stetson in Philly which was like 1955 or something...

I just went and looked at it and it's different so I might have to stand corrected....[huh]

I know that the hundred year anniversary fedora from 1965 came in a box of similar shape different design ..

I still believe the hat is 1950's though and it's still a nice hat....;)

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
Nice looking hat....Looking forward to seeing some pics of you wearing it, after it arrives!! Congrats on the win!!

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
nulty said:
That could be correct Jimmy..

I was basing the date on a box I have that contained a hat given to the mailman of someone who worked at Stetson in Philly which was like 1955 or something...

I just went and looked at it and it's different so I might have to stand corrected....[huh]

I know that the hundred year anniversary fedora from 1965 came in a box of similar shape different design ..

I still believe the hat is 1950's though and it's still a nice hat....;)

It'll be interesting to see...;)

:eek:fftopic: On another note...I love your avatar, Nulty. Did you ever see the flick "Cinderalla Man" with Russell Crowe? The Adam store -- perhaps the one in your avatar? -- is depicted in the movie, right next to Madison Square Garden...

Cheers,
JtL

nulty

One of the Regulars
I've watched that movie probably 10 times and never noticed....:eusa_doh:

Love that movie....I love Paul Giamatti in it....

I pinched the pic from someplace long ago I think when doing research on line for Adam hats. I could probably backtrack it.When I joined the lounge I thought What a perfect Avatar! I've received many nice words on the pic and it's well appreciated...:)

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
It's a great flick, to be sure. Hey, since you've already seen it 10 times, what's the harm in one more? I'm telling you, you will just about drop out of your chair when you see the Adam store there in all of its glory!:)

Cheers,
JtL

funneman

Practically Family
Nice Hat!

I too was watching that one. Alas, too many gray hats already.

That's a great hat and a fair price.

Great job, enjoy.

WildCelt

One of the Regulars
Well, I finally found my camera, so I have some pictures of the hat. First, me wearing it to church this morning (along with the jacket I just acquired from Goodwill; no idea of the date, but it has much higher armholes than any of my modern jackets) . . .

090207sundayvd7.jpg

Now, the hat.

greystetson3dy1.jpg
greystetson4cu2.jpg
greystetson5ip4.jpg

greystetson2hr5.jpg
greystetson1vb4.jpg
greystetson6gx0.jpg

. . . and the hat box it came in.

greystetsonbox1dj4.jpg
greystetsonbox2my4.jpg

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I would date the hat from the 1950's . I havent seen too many royal Stetsons with dark linings . Most of them had white linings. As long as it fits , that is what counts the most.

Steven
:rolleyes:

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
WildCelt, A great looking hat! You did well. Here's a helpful hint: I noticed a couple of light spots under the brim. I recently bought a hat with the same condition, but otherwise quite clean. I took an old toothbrush, and brushed over the spots a few times. They vanished!

nulty

One of the Regulars
Good Work WildCelt.....

I think mid 1950's .....

I have a Royal Stetson similar in style with the black liner and the bound brim that was dated to the mid 50's..

Good to see a nice Vintage hat show up on the FL.....

Have Fun....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff