Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Royal Visit to USA

RAF Man

One of the Regulars
Arriving on May 3rd until the 8th, The Queen, accompanied by The Duke of Edinburgh will pay a State Visit to the United States of America, to celebrate the 400th anniversary of the Jamestown settlement.
It's her first visit in 16 years. Look after her, she's not so young anymore!

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Silver Jubilee 1976

On Liz's Silver Jubilee tour of 1976, I had the privilege of fueling her airplane whilst she stopped in LAX enroute to the South Pacific. It was a Boeing 707, as I remember. I still have my security badge packed somewhere (Security? What security?...in 1976! Nothing compared to today!)

I remember seeing her through the cabin window; she gave a royal wave as the aircraft was pushed back from the gate. Ta Ra!...Liz. Do come again. All is forgiven! (As Robert Morley would say!) -;)

-dixon cannon

Haversack

One Too Many
I was part of the choir that sang for them at Battery Park in Manhattan in '76 when they disembarked from the Britania. His Grace was in a good mood and made a couple of jocular comments about us.

Haversack.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Haversack said:
I was part of the choir that sang for them at Battery Park in Manhattan in '76 when they disembarked from the Britania. His Grace was in a good mood and made a couple of jocular comments about us.

Haversack.

Phil didn't use that old tired one of his, "A man's home is his castle!" did he?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I vividly remember her coronation. There were pictures in all the magazines of the crown jewels, the robes, and the carriages. The films of the actual coronation were gotten onto planes and flown to New York within hours (the closest thing to "live" that we had then) and broadcast by the hour in this country. It was one of the first big world wide TV events. What a huge inpression it made on my 6 year old consciousness!
Rule Britannia! God Save the Queen! (That phrase puzzled the heck out of me for years. Finally got it.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80