Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RUM?!

Mike K.

One Too Many
Why is the rum always gone?!

Well, there are threads on gin, on whiskey, on absinthe...but what about RUM! I cannot find a single thread on the FL 'connoisseur' forum devoted to this fabulous potion. For me rum is the drink of all drinks, but having a Caribbean soul makes me quite biased. Rum is the key alcohol in numerous cocktails, a flavoring for tobacco, ice cream, coffee, etc. Personally, I cannot remember all the different rums I've tried (or the different mixed drinks), but here's a few of my favorite rums:

Gold Tortuga (and Tortuga Coconut) - from the Cayman Islands
Ron Centenario Conmemorativo - from Costa Rica
Appleton Estate Reserve - from Jamaica
Fernandez Black Label - from Trinidad
Whaler Coconut or Vanilla - either one is like liquid candy (especially when chilled).

Why is the rum always gone? Because it tastes so good! :D

What are your favorites?

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
The only time I had rum straight was in France, at a bar on the island of Saint-Malo. A local bought me a few shots of the cinnamon-infused variety, and it was amazing! Makes me drunk like a pirate though. Fun for everyone.

Otherwise I have it in a mojito...

Staredge

One of the Regulars
Ahhhhhhhh.......rum. I was pirate before pirate was cool. Actually, I really like Capt. Morgan Private Stock. Really nice sipping rum. I have Tortuga, although I'm iffy on it. Cruzan is ok. I have a bottle of Sailor Jerry, but haven't cracked her yet.

Can't STAND rum n' coke. (or diet, in my case) Rum, pineapple juice, and a couple of drops of REAL key lime juice. That's all she needs. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Will

Copper

One of the Regulars
I was not much of a rum fan, I confess, until a trip to Belize a few years ago. There is a local coconut rum, rather like the Whalers, but somehow 'fresher' tasting that is just incredible. It is made by a company called Travellers and is just called Tropical Coconut Rum.

The locals will hack off the top of a young coconut, drink a couple gulps from it, and then top it up with this rum. I heard it called a 'loco coco'. It was a great way to spend evenings on the little keys just off the coast.

That was my first introduction to rum. My second came in Cuba, where I came to love the Havana Club 7 year. Paired with a Montecristo No.4, I can close my eyes and be back on the Varadero beach in an instant - even in a cold unheated garage at 20 below zero!

Since then I have tried a few other good rums including Pusser's. and Pyrat.

Single Malt Whisky is still my drink of choice, but there is still a special place in my heart for rum.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Although I much prefer gin or irish, a really good rum is a nice change of pace for me. In limited quantity however, as the sugars like to knock my noggin for a loop in the morning. I like it over ice with a very small splash of lime.

Richard

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am spoiled for all other rums

after getting to have some from Fidel Castro's private supply. He gave a bottle to mi cunado, and it was absolutely the most delicious nectar of the gods I have ever tasted! In a pretty celadon porcelain bottle.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
A nice selection here:

http://www.spiritscorner.com/scriptsing/buscar.asp?K=Directorio&IdSeccion=154

edmundodantes25.jpg

http://www.spiritscorner.com/scriptsing/buscar.asp?K=Detalle&IdProducto=11491

dnjan

One Too Many
Copper said:
I was not much of a rum fan, I confess, until a trip to Belize a few years ago. There is a local coconut rum, rather like the Whalers, but somehow 'fresher' tasting that is just incredible. It is made by a company called Travellers and is just called Tropical Coconut Rum.
I've had that. Great stuff! and dangerous. 50-50 with Squirt in a waterglass ...
Goes down like lemonade, but tastes much better!

Murph351

One of the Regulars
With a Tiki Room in the basement the Rum collection has grown exponentially.
Mai Tais have become a favorite.
I use Appleton Estates 12 year old & Saint James Hors D'Age to make an excellent cocktail.

Corto

A-List Customer
I went through a "Master and Commander" phase a couple of years ago (actually, I'm still going through it) where I started drinking Pusser's British Navy Rum.

It's good straight (though it's a bit of an acquired taste).
I like it because it's "fiery" and not sweet like certain party rums favored by the Fraternity set.

I usually keep some lime juice (and "raw" sugar) on hand, for a quick glass of grog.

...and some time I'll tell you about my misadventures with the "Master and Commander" cookbook...oy...

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
The rum is gone because it's colder than a witch's tit outside and hot buttered rum is just so good!

I've heard Flor De Ca?±a rum from Nicaragua is very good but have never tried it. I should have purchased a bottle to bring home from Peru.

Mojito

One Too Many
Rum was my first spirit love as well, and is the staple of many of my favourite cocktails (as my nickname might suggest!). Classic daiquiries and mojitos are particular favourites.

I do like the spiced rums, and have a soft spot for Frigate OP.

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
I love rum from the French West Indies!!!! Old rum is my favourite and my favourite brands are Saint James, Trois-Rivi?®res, Nesson.... I love it with a slice of lime, and it's callled a "ti-punch"!!!!

Here's a list

I went back over to "Evening tipple" for this list of my favorites rums. Mount Gay is my usual, but I've discovered Sailor Jerry. It's pretty good and 92 proof.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Barcelo Anejo (Dom. Rep.)
Appleton Estate (Jam.)
Cacique (Venez.)
Barbencourt 5 star (Haiti)
Mount Gay Eclipse and Extra Old (Barbados)
Havana Club Anejo 7 anos (Cuba)
Cockspur (Barbados)
Brugal Anejo (Dom. Rep.)
Ron Matusalem (Cuba & USA)
Aniversario Ron Anjeo (Venez.)**
El Dorado Special Reserve (15 yr old) (Guyana)**
Pyrat XO Reserve (BWI)**

** Real sippin' rums **

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
There is nothing like a well-mixed mojito on a hot day. I had never had one until I was in Puerto Rico, where is is almost required that you drink mojitos. I was drinking with a bunch of soldiers, and apparently the mojito is considered a very manly thing to be drinking. They insisted that I try them, and I've been hooked ever since.

When I was in the Marine Corps I used to drink rum and Coke all the time. In Barcelona, at a place called Plato's Combinados, I discovered that if you don't tell a Spanish bartender when to stop, they will fill a tall glass to the top with rum, and add a splash of Coke for color. Well, that knocked me for a loop, but the worst part is that I am six feet tall, and the beams in the ceiling at Plato's Combinados are about 5' 6"! The hangover the next day was exacerbated by the number of times I hit my head on those beams through the course of the evening! To add insult to injury, they had those stand up toilets, which were new to me at the time. I have no idea how many times I fell of the footprints that night!

Mojito

One Too Many
Right, Mojave Jack - Puerto Rico it is for my next stop!

I've often wanted to try the Mojito on its native turf - and a Pisco Sour, and a Caprihina.

For the Aussies (and anyone with international tastes)...is anyone a fan of Inner Circle? I'm often given it as a gift (given my well known, even Jack Sparrowesque, love of rum), and according to the official website it has won best rum in the International Wine and Spirit competition in London for the last four years. I can never quite make up my mind about it - it is quite a distinctive flavour, and I prefer to drink it straight because I've never found the right cocktail use for it. I've had the Red and have the Green (OP). Am very tempted to try the Grey - 33 OP - but the price is a bit prohibitive for an experiment. Any feedback?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Mojito said:
Pisco Sour

Drank far too many of those when living in Santiago.

To any interested may I suggest visiting the seafood restaurant Azul Profundo in Barrio Bellavista and having a few there with a good meal. Some of the best Pisco Sours I've had plus beautiful food.

Mojito said:
I've often wanted to try the Mojito on its native turf

That's on the must do list for me too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass