Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Russian Winter Hat

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
I wear my fedora in Russia all the time. (1960ish gray Borsalino). Makes me stand out, which ain't so great here, I guess, but Russians usually like the hat. Probably not going to be able to wear it much longer. Droppin' below 40 in Moscow these days and my ears are gettin' colder.

I bought a Russian winter hat. Like so:
344%3C3%3A%3B923232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E2355%3D3%3A%3B%3D%3A95%3DXROQDF%3E2323%3B64455578ot1lsi

(Murmansk in the background.)

But Russians don't wear them anymore. It was more of WWII era thing. I was talkin' to my friend back home about it and he said, "So it is basically just like how you wear fedoras in America." Gosh, I guess it is.

Gumby

New in Town
Russians love hats....

What takes you to Russia, to live or visit?

I visited my pen pal in Moscow and Ufa in Nov. 1999. I wanted to buy a real Russian "shopka" or men's fur hat while I was there, but didn't get around to finding one until about 7 days into my 9 day visit. All the time I was wearing a very dark blue stocking cap. The Russians DO NOT wear stocking caps. They knew I was a foreigner from a 100 yards away. Kinda amazing that one simple article of clothing gives away your nationality. Once I put on the fur hat, I "became" a Russian and no one looked sideways at me anymore.

The Russian men wear some marvelous fur hats, but the women's winter fur hats are out of this world. Absolutely gorgeous, in addition to their fur coats, which are considered a necessity and not a luxury.

I found most Russians are very meticulous about their personal appearance in public, unlike most Americans who couldn't become anymore casual (or slovenly, as the case may be).

How about a pic of the fedora?

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself...."
- Mark Twain

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
They were indeed one of the iconic pieces associated with the soldiers of the Great Patriotic War, along with the PPSh-41 submachine gun as seen in this picture. The WW2 type is called a "shapka ushanka" in Russian I believe.

ussr0295.jpg

The ushanka was only adopted right before WW2, before that the hat in service was called the "budenovka" as seen below on Stalin, which was used from the earliest days of the USSR until the 1939 Winter War with Finland at which time a more practical alternative was sought.

ussr0315.jpg

Dave Keith

Familiar Face
My sis-in-law and her husband are teaching school in Kiev, Ukraine and coming home for Christmas. I have been toying with the idea of requesting they bring me a hat. Although I would have little use for a fur hat, living in central Texas and all, I was wondering what was the preferred headgear to request.

Anyone knowledgeable? Or should I just use common sense and ask them, since they are over there? :rolleyes:

matei

One Too Many
It is the same situation in Romania now, most (younger) men don't wear the ushanka (caciula in Romanian) type fur hats. They are getting harder to find as well. I would rather wear one of those in the cold than anything else. I've had two so far. However, combine the fur hat with my accent and I am automatically assumed to be a bumpkin from Moldova!

Leather "workers caps" are quite common as well, and you can find them on lots of older men.

It is true that many Eastern Europeans give much consideration to their appearance, but even that is dying out as "casual" Western attitudes toward clothing pervade. At least in our family it still holds true.

It used to be unthinkable to go out in a track suit or have your pants showing from under your jeans. Going out in public was a big deal. Sunday was a day to dress nicely as well. Not necessarily for church either. Heaven Forbid I am to lounge around on Sunday unshaven...

My experience is limited to Romania, but I found this attitude was similar with our Russian and Bulgarian friends.

MJL

One of the Regulars
I have a couple Budenkova's that are funny to wear to gunshows, etc. The sad part is that I have yet to find one that fits my 7 7/8 head. I would love to find an original Budenny for my collection.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
I am in Russia studying Russian for a semester.

Russians nowadays seem to be wearing almost exclusively leather worker caps, scottish caps, italian caps, whatever you call all of the varieties, except these usually have earflaps kind of awkwardly attached to them. The military still use the classic ushanka, however.

I am in Moscow, though, and Moscow is not Russia. I am sure all the classic hats are still big-time elsewhere. I bought mine in Archangel (Arkhangel'sk) and while I didn't see anyone wearing it there, it was still warm at the time.

Actually, the fedora is more prominent here at the moment - moreso than America. But usually these have very thin brims.

Last week I was in Tallinn, Estonia, an ex-Soviet country w/a great hatred for Russia. They are very European there, very Scandinavian, too, despite the majority of Russian-speakers living there. I saw many, many fedoras there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR