Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rust stains on fabric

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd been noticing an ocassional orangey stain showing up on our clothes before discovering the culprit - a chip in the enamel in the washer and leaving damp things sitting in it for too long (a few hours) before moving them to the dryer. The chip in the washer has been fixed, but we've got lots of things, usually white or light colored, with a rust spot or two. I'd tried Oxyclean, lemon juice and special rust stain removers from the store with so-so results at best. Then a friend mentioned Barkeeper's Friend. (Man, this sounds like one of those cheesy 60's testimonial commercials about getting grass stains out of little Billy's chinos, doesn't it?) It's a cleanser along the lines of Comet or Bon Ami or Ajax which was recommended by the hardware store when we put in a stainless sink several years ago. It's great for keeping the stainless sink clean & spot free. I thought - well, I've got some right here - what have I got to lose? It turns out - it's amazing. Dampen the fabric, shake on a tiny amount of the cleanser, sort of tamp it down into the stain with your fingertip...and in 10 minutes or less, the stains are completely gone.

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Wow, thanks for this. Just found a cute 50's skirt in a vintage shop that is well priced and lovely, but I passed it up because of a few rust stains. Looks like i'm going back tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats