Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

S.F. doctor honored for helping save France from Nazis

Hondo

One Too Many
His uniform still fits, bravo!!!

S.F. doctor honored for helping save France from Nazis

Dr. John Kerner is an unlikely war hero.

He is 88 years old, slight of build and soft of voice. He smiles easily and has a firm but gentle handshake. And he hates everything associated with war.

And yet, there he was more than 60 years ago, driving through German lines to bring medical supplies to an Army unit surrounded by the enemy. Performing surgery in a makeshift tent after dark with oil lamps for light. Cutting off shattered limbs. Watching young soldiers die because they were too shot up or blown up to save.

Kerner was awarded two Bronze Stars and a host of lesser awards for his service in World War II. His most prized possession was a Combat Medic Badge, which is usually given to medics who live with the soldiers in the dirt and are the first line of help when someone is shot.

The doc was an officer, a trained surgeon, but he spent a lot of time under fire, alongside the medics who brought men to him on stretchers.

He did not win the war all by himself, but a lot of people went on to live long lives because he was in Europe in the aftermath of D-Day, and all through the bloody fighting for France, including the savage Battle of the Bulge.

The French government considers him a hero, too. Kerner was one of seven American veterans of World War II who were recently awarded the French Legion of Honor for helping save France from the Nazis.

The new president of France, Nicolas Sarkozy, delivered the medals and the kiss on each cheek typical in France during a ceremony in Washington, D.C., in November.

The men were chosen as representatives of the veterans who fought in World War II. Sarkozy, a pro-American Frenchman, said he wanted to honor U.S. servicemen for their role in saving France.

"If there is peace in Europe today, it is because of you," he said during the ceremony. "You did your duty, and we will never forget what you did for France."

And so Kerner now has another award. This one has a red ribbon and a medal that resembles a cross. He keeps it in a box in his very tidy study, next to the diplomas and medical books.

"I'm a physician, and when you get to my age, you get all sorts of rewards and trophies," Kerner said. "It's like getting the gold watch at retirement. But this was entirely different. This was very exciting."

What makes the story even more interesting is Kerner's medical specialty. He is an obstetrician and gynecologist. Not exactly the kind of training necessary for a combat medic, but in the middle of World War II, the government didn't much care what you knew, as long as you could handle a scalpel and wrap a bandage.

"I got a lot of funny looks from people when I told them what my specialty was," he said.

Kerner was raised in San Francisco. He went to the city's public schools and then to UC Berkeley and the UC medical school, located then in Berkeley and San Francisco. He was called to active duty with the Army in December 1943 and commissioned a first lieutenant.

He was sent to the infantry to become a battalion medical officer, which meant he would be in charge of the medics and set up aid stations just behind the front lines. Medics would treat wounded soldiers on the battlefield, then bring them back - often on litters - to Kerner. From there, they would be evacuated to field hospitals or hospital ships for further treatment.

Sometimes the bullets were flying even as he treated the wounded. The front wasn't just a point on a map, it was a few feet away in some cases.

Kerner landed at Omaha Beach shortly after the Allied invasion of France. It was rough and ugly, and Kerner and the others had to learn quickly. He'd had some experience in hospitals before, but nothing could prepare a young doctor for the horrific wounds delivered by high-powered rifles, mortars and tank shells.

As the American soldiers moved inland, Kerner had his first experience with the capriciousness of war. Two French men showed up at the aid station carrying a ladder like a litter. On it was a young woman who was in active labor. Kerner checked her out and determined that the baby was a footling breech; it was coming out bottom and foot first. Delivering a breech baby was never easy, especially in those days, and in all likelihood, mother and/or child might have died if they hadn't found a doctor. As it was, Kerner knew how to deliver a breech baby, a complicated maneuver that involved turning the baby as it came out.

And there, in the middle of the blood and dirt and war, a baby girl came into the world.

"I was in the Army for a year and a half, and that was the only baby I ever delivered," he said. "If you were to go through all of Normandy then and collect up all the doctors there, there was probably not one who knew how to deliver a breech."

Mother and daughter were taken to the rear, and Kerner never heard from them again. Many years later, when Kerner went to France and revisited some of the old battlefields, word of the combat birth made it to the French media, who launched a campaign to find either or both. But they never found the mother or the daughter.

Not long after the birth, Kerner learned that an American unit was pinned down by German forces and surrounded. The Americans expected to break through at any time and help their comrades, but Kerner knew that the trapped soldiers had plenty of wounded and were short on medical supplies.

Kerner and one of his medics decided to make a mad dash to the trapped unit. His medic, nicknamed Gangster, had been a rum runner in New Jersey during Prohibition, and so knew something about driving fast on bad roads and avoiding capture. The two men filled a Jeep with as many supplies as it could hold and then drove straight through enemy lines.

They found the wounded inside an old stone quarry. The men were in bad shape. Kerner used up all his morphine on the worst cases, and the rest of the supplies soon thereafter. A day or two later, the Americans broke through and the lost unit was lost no more.

It was a remarkable run, and the men saved lives. Kerner said he never really thought about the dangers of such a mission, or the possibility of death. Like a lot of combat veterans, he made peace early on with the idea that he would probably die in combat. Somehow, when your mind gets wrapped around that concept, he explained, you lose your inhibitions and fear of death.

"You do what you have to do," Kerner said.

There were other escapades. As Gen. George Patton maneuvered to bring support to the American soldiers trapped in Bastogne in the Battle of the Bulge, a tank commander drove up to the collection point, where Kerner was working with other medics to stabilize the wounded and prepare them to be moved to the rear for better medical help. The tank commander said he was with a group headed directly into Bastogne, where the trapped soldiers were short of doctors and medical supplies. Would anyone want to volunteer?

"I did," Kerner said. "I went in with them."

The young doctor climbed onto the outside of the Sherman tank and rode into the shattered city. He could see bomb blasts all around, as the fighting raged nearby.

"The Germans were just being stopped at that point, but we had an awful lot of casualties."

Kerner speaks little of the horrors he witnessed, although he did put his memoirs to paper in 2002 when he wrote a powerful book titled "Combat Medic." In person, he spends more time talking about the people he served with and all the funny little things you see in places of great devastation.

After Germany surrendered, Kerner was supposed to go to the Pacific as part of the invasion of Japan. But the atomic bomb ended that war, and a couple of months later, Kerner was back in San Francisco in civilian clothes. He went straight to work at San Francisco General Hospital as an OB/GYN.

Later, he rose to head the obstetrics, gynecology and reproductive sciences department at Mount Zion Hospital, and then had his own private practice. He delivered both of Sen. Barbara Boxer's children and has been Sen. Dianne Feinstein's physician as well. Not to mention the 2,000 babies.

He retired about seven or eight years ago (he can't remember the exact date). He keeps his hand in medicine by funding research into cancer-fighting drugs.

He's still fit and trim, and may be one of the few veterans anywhere who can still fit into his uniform.

"I never liked war," said Kerner, who in the last pages of his book says the big war and those that followed could have been prevented with the use of political wisdom and economic aid. "I was always against it. And being there just reinforced that opinion. It's a terrible thing."

Kerner has returned to France several times, and gone over the same blood-drenched battlefields he saw as a young man. Most of the time, he viewed those sites with the logic and detachment of a trained doctor.

But the last time, about two or three years ago, he was with a group of young people. Kerner saw all those grave markers, row after row after row of white crosses and Stars of David. For the first time, he wept.

Maybe it was because of his traveling companions, or maybe it was because he was getting older.

"I was thinking I was fortunate to be alive, and they weren't. I had the chance to have a really good life, and they didn't. All those young men, dead before they really had a chance to live.

"I just couldn't keep the tears from flowing."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2007/12/17/MNJQTOFC2.DTL

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This guy was certainly one of the real deal! The truth is that less than 10% of French were involved in the underground though to hear popularist history every Frenchy was a guerilla fighter extrodinaire.

Salv

One Too Many
Twitch said:
This guy was certainly one of the real deal! The truth is that less than 10% of French were involved in the underground though to hear popularist history every Frenchy was a guerilla fighter extrodinaire.

Maybe only 10% were actively involved in France during the war, but you shouldn't forget the Free French troops who escaped to Britain and North Africa. By August 1940 there were 7000 Free French troops organised in Britain, with a further 2500 in French Equatorial Africa, who were reinforced by 15,000 colonial troops. By the end of 1941 there were about 50,000 Free French troops, and these numbers continued to rise as Vichy troops switched sides during the North African campaign. The Free French fought throughout the North African campaign alongside British and Commonwealth troops, and 100,000 FF troops fought in the Italian Campaign, alongside British and Commonwealth, Canadian, US and Polish troops. By the end of 1944 as more of France was liberated there were 1 million Free French troops. By May 1945 there were 1.25 million, at a time when British, Canadian and US troops numbered approximately 5 million.

The Wiki page gives a reasonable overview - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_French_Forces

..and this page gives a thorough breakdown of FF numbers throughout the war http://212.234.185.8/article.php3?id_article=160

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I have heard a bnit about Poland, but am certainly no expert. But I gather that they on the one hand, are used to fighting off one invader after another and one more was just par for the course. But on the other hand, the idea of Poland not existing or ceasing to exist was always everpresent to a Polish person. It was often speculated by Polish intellectuals etc. So the idea thatthe Germans would come in and set up their own government may have been more of the case that in France, they needed to establish a certain legitimacy, whereas in Poland, having been part of one empire or another, no one would think it particularly out of line (except the Poles perhaps) for the germans to make them part of their new empire, instead of the sham of an independant government as was necesseery in France. but I could be wrong. I am merely making a speculation abouyt the politics of the time in regards to Poland and that is all I will say on that subject.

At any rate, perhaps this idea could be it's own thread because this thread is not about the French or the Poles. It is about one brave man who did what needed to be done out of a committment for the well being of others with little regard to his own.

As some may know, my politics lean a little towards pacifism. But I have no problem applauding a warrior such as this. I admire him greatly. He is a true hero to me. And the funny thing is, he would be the first I am sure to deny that and say he was just doing his job.

Hondo

One Too Many
Easy yes to go off topic, he is a doctor, deserves highest esteem, respects, his own words, holds true.

"I never liked war," said Kerner, who in the last pages of his book says the big war and those that followed could have been prevented with the use of political wisdom and economic aid. "I was always against it. And being there just reinforced that opinion. It's a terrible thing."

Kerner has returned to France several times, and gone over the same blood-drenched battlefields he saw as a young man. Most of the time, he viewed those sites with the logic and detachment of a trained doctor.

But the last time, about two or three years ago, he was with a group of young people. Kerner saw all those grave markers, row after row after row of white crosses and Stars of David. For the first time, he wept.

Maybe it was because of his traveling companions, or maybe it was because he was getting older.

"I was thinking I was fortunate to be alive, and they weren't. I had the chance to have a really good life, and they didn't. All those young men, dead before they really had a chance to live.

"I just couldn't keep the tears from flowing."

Salv

One Too Many
cowboy76 said:
That doesn't make sense. Yes, it IS true, its just not ALL of the story of the French military activity during WWII.

It does make sense, you just haven't read it right. Your second sentence agrees exactly with what I said.

cowboy76 said:
Wikipedia quote (and yes, the TRUTH.)

"Poland NEVER made a general surrender or produced a puppet government that collaborated with the Germans; instead, it was directly governed by a purely German administration, the Generalgouvernement, opposed by the underground Polish Secret State."

BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FRANCE AND POLAND!!! The Poles never surrendured!

No, the big difference is that the Polish Government didn't surrender. The French Government surrendered, but French troops continued the fight against the Nazis until the end of the war. You're mistaking a Government of a country for the general population of that country.

And I'm not trying to compare the French to the Poles - that's what you're doing - but what's your opinion of the large number of Poles that escaped to Britain in order to carry on the fight? Do you think more would have got out if they could have?

cowboy76 said:
Show me a group of Frenchies as bravehearted as those in the Warsaw ghettos,.....and I'll show you a liar!

How about the 450 maquisards at Les Glieres in February 1941 who, armed only with Sten submachine guns, Enfield rifles, Bren light machine guns, Mills grenades, explosives, several old machine guns and two 81 mm light mortars, first held off 2000 Vichy militiamen and police. The Vichy forces were then replaced by three battalions from the 157th Reserve Division of the Wehrmacht and two German police battalions, composed of about 5000 men with HMG, 80 mm mortars, 75 mm mountain guns, 150 mm howitzers and armored cars.

Or the 4000 maquisards at Le Vercors who, in June 1944, held off a German Gebirgsdivision, but were finally defeated in July by another German assault comprising about 15000 men with artillery support and glider-borne troops.

Or the 3700 men of the 1st Free French brigade at the battle of Bir Hakeim.

cowboy76

Suspended
Salv said:
It does make sense, you just haven't read it right. Your second sentence agrees exactly with what I said.

No, the big difference is that the Polish Government didn't surrender. The French Government surrendered, but French troops continued the fight against the Nazis until the end of the war. You're mistaking a Government of a country for the general population of that country.

And I'm not trying to compare the French to the Poles - that's what you're doing - but what's your opinion of the large number of Poles that escaped to Britain in order to carry on the fight? Do you think more would have got out if they could have?

How about the 450 maquisards at Les Glieres in February 1941 who, armed only with Sten submachine guns, Enfield rifles, Bren light machine guns, Mills grenades, explosives, several old machine guns and two 81 mm light mortars, first held off 2000 Vichy militiamen and police. The Vichy forces were then replaced by three battalions from the 157th Reserve Division of the Wehrmacht and two German police battalions, composed of about 5000 men with HMG, 80 mm mortars, 75 mm mountain guns, 150 mm howitzers and armored cars.

Or the 4000 maquisards at Le Vercors who, in June 1944, held off a German Gebirgsdivision, but were finally defeated in July by another German assault comprising about 15000 men with artillery support and glider-borne troops.

Or the 3700 men of the 1st Free French brigade at the battle of Bir Hakeim.

What do I think of them,....?

refer to my last post regarding them...

that's what I think of them...

I'm not going to explain my post to you, you're the one not writing correctly, with incomplete thoughts, not I. Nor. am I the one taking things out of context from another's post.

Re-read other's posting regarding the French on this thread,....then amybe you'll understand what I was saying.
Its not worth writing something if you're not going to read the whole thing and understand it.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
Cowboy, I can see where you are coming from, but the resistance story is different in every country because the circumstances were different in every country. You can't realistically compare the situations in Poland and France. Resistance in Poland was a battle for national survival. Resistance in France was to a great extent one side in a civil war.

The Nazis abolished an independant Polish state and installed a draconian and murderous military government. Their long term plans involved ethnic cleansing, German colonization, and the reduction of the indigenous population to serfdom. In this situation all Poles, from all classes, and across the political spectrum, were at least likely to sympathize with resistance - even indigenous Fascists fought the Nazis.

The Nazis had no plans to abolish even the French state, let alone the French nation. Their quarrels with France were purely of a conventional political nature. German behaviour in the occupied zone was (at first) careful and correct. No one had any reason to think that occupation would outlast a German victory. As for the Vichy regime, it had a considerable degree of both legal legitimacy and independance, and for many French Conservatives Vichy was the regime they had always dreamed of.

In France much of the actual fighting took place in the southern zone between the Maquis and the Vichy French Militia (Milice). This was to a great extent a civil war between the French left and right. Indeed, to some extent it was simply the local theatre of a European civil war, with a considerable number of anti-fascist foreign exiles involved in the Resistance (particularly Spanish Republicans, but also many Romanians, Hungarians, Poles, Italians and Germans). Perhaps we can take the situation in Toulouse as symbolic, where the leader of the Gestapo was a French fascist, the leader of one of the the main resistance groups was a German socialist, and the most dedicated resistance fighters were Spanish refugees.

As in all civil wars a substantial proportion of the population probably felt little identification with either side, which is not the same thing as cowardice. As for "patriotism" it could swing either or neither way. The Resistance and Vichy obviously faced each other with different versions of patriotism, but I'm sure those who avoided involvement saw their stance as equally patriotic given that one side was supported by the foreign occupiers, and the other increasingly trained and supported by France's traditional enemy, Britain.

This complex historical reality was re-written by Gaullism after the war.....not just by exaggerating the levels of resistance, but by downplaying and distorting the role of just about everyone who was actually involved in the fighting - with the ultra-patriots of Vichy recast as simple traitors, the Leftist backbone of the resistance reduced to an auxiliary limb, and the foreign anti-fascists virtually tippexed out of the picture.

cowboy76

Suspended
nightandthecity said:
Cowboy, I can see where you are coming from, but the resistance story is different in every country because the circumstances were different in every country. You can't realistically compare the situations in Poland and France. Resistance in Poland was a battle for national survival. Resistance in France was to a great extent one side in a civil war.

Yes, yes you can. That's a very poor defense.
Its about the soul and heart of a nation in relation to another nation.
All of the conflicts in WWII were battles for EVERY nation's survival! So, that is an irrelavant staement.

So, yes, it is all the same. Everyone's fight meant as much to them as the other's fight and plight of the people, its just that some had more moxie than others to stand their ground and fight. Its not apersonal opinin, its a worldwide, recognized fact. Research it anywhere on the net and you'll see the differnece, unless of course, you sont want to, then you'll only see what you WANT to see. Which is the case here.
To be honest, I was ashamed that I at one point did not know that the Polish did so much and were such brave people, as I am part Polish msyelf. I had always been told the stories of the French resistance, etc. and how they helped the war so much, and all the time they were allmade out to be such heros. Then I cleared up my ignorance with facts and hard research...and I woke up! I always had a high regard for the French and the beauty they bestowed uppon all the world by way of their fine art and exquisit taste,.....then I found that for many, many years they've practically re-written their history regarding their roles in WWII and their arrogance twoards a nation that gladly reached out to them with love and open arms.

I revere the French artisans fo days gone by, and those who stood liek real men and fought where they were, and not out of sher fear looking for others to help them out when the odds were against them. I guess its just the Polak in me!

I'm done with this,....lets get back to the topic of the hero of a man from San-Fran!

cowboy76

Suspended
Hondo said:
Can I have my ball back? :eek:fftopic:
Right! It’s a tribute to this doctor’s work, not so much about France.

I agree,..and out of respect, I'm going to delete my contributions that had not been more specific in relation to the story you popsted.
My respect to you Hondo....

...and thank you very much for posting this wonderful story!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner