Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

S.O.S Hair dye disaster

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
luckily this ended up not being TOO big of a disaster...I dyed my hair black and from the many comments of how it was making me look sickly, I got this stuff at sally's to take off the dye color. on the package, it said once rinsed off, apply a hair color...did this and it did NOTHING! last night I was kind of freaking out because the top half of my hair was orangey-red, while the lower half was brown-not good! It's tamed down to where I'ts not looking so bad, but, any suggestions on what I should do to my hair? (I'm just wanting an all over even color!)

Kim_B

Practically Family
Maybe after a few days try coloring it again...or call up your salon and ask for suggestions from them. I might try washing it a couple more times with a clarifying shampoo (Suave has a great clarifying shampoo, or Prell) in the meantime, and use a good conditioner to tame those tangles! Salon might be your best bet, though!

Good luck, and keep us posted!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I shampooed it last night and it seemed to even it out, though on some places, it's a little lighter than others, but I can easily live with this than how it was!
Next week, I'll try to lighten it some more..I'll tell you guys if it worked or not!

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Emmababy said:
I was told by my hairdresser to use Head and Shoulders, because the acidity in it strips the colour faster. However, red pigments are the hardest colour to shift from hair.
I heard Head and Shoulders too, and when you're washing, leave the shampoo in the hair for ten minutes or so before rinsing. I had a carrot orange mishap once, and this really speeded up the fading process until I could go back blonde.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Mysterygal~

Did I miss something? You've got a hair disaster too? I understand the top is an orangey color and the bottom is brown?
What color are you naturally and what do you want to be?

When counteracting/covering unwanted orange tones, the color needs to be dark enough to work. Like, on a level from 1-10.. 1 being black and 10 blonde... if you hair is a level 7 you probably need at least a 6 to cover. If you use a 7 or lighter, even if it is ash to counteract red, it will not do a thing.

Color will not lift color. If you want the brown ends lighter you'll have to bleach them.

If you're going to re-color I highly suggest Shades, which is professional but sold on ebay. It is a great conditioning semi-permanant. I can help you find a shade if you like. Don't use anything permanant.

Nikki

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Like I said, the color did even out quite a bit, but it's a light brown with some obvious redish/orange in it (it really doesn't look bad, just not really what I'm wanting!) I was hoping to go an ash blonde again. I went to Sally's beauty supply and the girl who worked there told me the same thing about color not being able to lift color, so had me buy this hair stripper stuff, so, if the box is right, the color should be all off...so my hair should be ready to bleach right? I'm just wondering how long I should wait! My hair's condition is still good, but I'm afraid of ruining it!

epr25

Practically Family
I am going to have to like everyone else. Don't strip her hair. It will be as good as gone. I tried it once and as I was combing my hair was breaking off about 1/2 an inch from my head. Great look. Anyway I have not looked for one of these for quite awhile but I would try a Malibu Treatment( this is the brand name of the stuff). These were used on me as child (because I was a swimmer) to remove the chlorine but later in life I also used these for the purpose that you are in need of. You just mix it in warm water and sit under a hair dryer if possible. You will more then likely need to recolor after use but it will at least remove quite a bit of the offending dye first and give you a better shot at reaching the desired color. Also remember your colors. Certain colors counter act other. Like if you want white hair you something with a lavender hue ect. Depending on the severity of the color you might want to look into using a toner? It might help cut some of the orange. They sell these at Sally's. Hope this helps. I think we have all been there before.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I was looking through Sally's stuff the other day and they have this product (I think it's by L'oreal) that's for dark hair only (how dark of hair they're talking about..who know's!) but, with this stuff, they say you can go to an ash blonde...is this close to what you're talking about?

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
It can be more complicated than that... tho your hair may have toned out some and may appear more even, the porosity throughout the hair is still quite different. Trying to go back blond all over may come out quite patchy.

Since your hair has been though so much but you want to go back blond, I would suggest a heavy hilite instead of all over color for now. You can pull it through a cap rather than foiling, this way you'll have more control over where to put the bleach.

If doing it yourself I would use Clairol Kaleidocolor in a tub.. get the blue if you feel you have alot of red tones yet. Mix with Clairol creamy 20 vol. developer till it's a nice creamy pudding consitancy. Apply to hair with brush in the darkest, reddest parts first. The lightest, most fragile areas last. This means if your roots are lighter than the ends, do the roots last. Don't apply where it's already blonde. Cover with plastic bag. Check every ten min. without heat, taking a strand in your hand/mist with water/buff with towel. You're looking for the color of the inside of a banana peel. Rinse. Dry the hair and decide if you want to tone.

Please note that if your hair was not previously colored I would apply it differently.

Also please note that you should only do this if you feel your hair can take the bleach. If you take a single hair and stretch it and it snaps instantly, or if your hair is extremely tangled after shampooing I wouldn't reccomend it. If the stand can stand quite a tug it should be ok.. but I'm not there to judge, lol!

HTH!
Nikki

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
YUP... and if you get someone who really knows their stuff you may be able to get an all over blonde.. but it will also cost more most likely, at least I would charge alot more for corrective color vs. a hilite. Best wishes!
Nikki

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
There was a blonde driving down the road listening to the radio. The announcer was telling blonde joke after blonde joke until the blonde was so mad that she turned her radio off. A mile down the road, she saw another blonde out in a corn field in a boat rowing. The blonde stopped her car jumped out and yelled, "It's blondes like you that give us all a bad name. If I could swim I'd come out there and give you what's coming to you!"lol
I went blonde! I was seriously freaked out at first since I had to get my hair stripped (which turned it bright orange)- I ended up doing the do-it-yourself job (which in the end would of probably been cheaper to have just gone to the salon!) But, it's looking good now...will definetely post some pictures very soon!

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
When I had one of many 'hair don't's' in my teens, I rang the Wella helpline. They suggested washing my hair and coating it in Vegetable oil then wrapping my hair in cling film (do you call it glad Wrap or something?)
It did lift the colour out and it's non harmful.
I ended up peroxide blonde once (I died my hair jet black to look like Audrey Horne from Twin Peaks-oh the shame and delusion of youth!!) My mum hated it and tried something called 'hair dye reducer'
I ended up white blonde.

lol lol lol

Mildred

New in Town
haircolor

I do my own haircolor and I have had some mistakes in the past. Forget the salons (I don't like them) and get her to dye her hair darker. It worked for me when I made the mistake of going too red. You need a med. dark brown color with "ash" in the name to bring down the red tones. Have a friend help her. My girlfriend and I help each other with our hair and it saves money and time.
I am so picky about my hair now because I had a bad hairdresser one time. It took me forever to grow out my hair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot