Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

safari boots

DnSchlng

One of the Regulars
Can anyone tll me where you can get good, comfortable, and functional old fashioned safari boots? Liek the ones used in Africa in the 1800s.

Edward

Bartender
Magnoli does a repro of those, if I've picked up right on what you're thinking about - see www.magnoliclothiers.com under footwear, boots. Not seen a pair in person, though the general word on Magnoli footwear seems to be very positive.

eightbore

Suspended
forriding boots....

Assuming you are looking for tall boots, you might email rob@canadianmountie.com for a nice set of "high browns". $350 plus shipping is a VERY fair price. If these are not "close enough" to what you are looking for, you could start running some internet searches for "victorian boots" or "victorian riding boots" to see what you run across.

I would also keep in mind that there was not really such a thing as "specialized African gear" in the 19th century as colonists had to make due with what was being produced on the continent or in England for similar purposes. This would be especially true in the early years of African colonization. Even on the eve of the 20th century you see some pretty basic stuff. Remember these guys were not necesarily wealthy. Check out the photo below from 1896 and note the sitting gentleman on the far right. Something tells me he wore those shoes while hunting, working, eating, going to church...you name it. Heck, even in the early 20th century, my grandfather and brothers in America used to go bird shooting in wingtips simply because it seemed silly for them to buy a second pair of shoes or boots just for an activity they undertook on occasion..plus I think the most casual they ever got was removing their jackets. :)

Opening%20Pic.jpg

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
Greetings, I am usually just a lurker, but as this subject quite interests me I thought I needed to respond with my two bits worth.

The tall laced-instep riding boot that has been mentioned above was a rather late invention, I believe, as earlier tall, riding boots did not have any lacing at the top of the foot and up the front of the leg, which made them uncomfortable to walk in for extended periods of time. Also as large parts of Africa were infested by the Tse-Tse fly, whose bites were fatal to horses, walking was often a necessity. Also, a shorter, softer boot is much better for tracking, stalking, and hunting game on foot.

While I have lusted after a pair of those tall field boots for years, I don't think they were nearly as common as many people think.

The voortreckers and really anyone who spent extended periods away from civilisation in Africa usually ended up making their own footwear, which tended to be low ankleboots or even shoes. Hence, the veld-schoon was born. These were often the work-horse of the african hunter and explorer and were often written about in the 19th century, but not so often depicted graphically.

Anyway, the closest that I have been able to come to finding a new veld-schoon in this day and age, short of making a pair myself is the Courteney Boot Company's Tracker model, out of Rhodesia (Zimbabwe, if you prefer). This low boot comes to just over the ankle and, I feel anyway, comes closest to the 19th century veld-schoon. The ever are constructed in the same way the original veld-schoons were, as the leather of the upper, does not fold over inside the shoe and get sandwiched between the foot and the subsole where it is hidden, but it folds to the outside and gets stiched to the sole in plain sight. This makes for a more water-proof construction.

The only modern consessions really are the deep-lugged, rubber tire-tread sole and the padded collar around the top of the boot to keep sand and stones out and to provide more ankle support. Even though these features are not period, I think that if the original voortreckers and explorers had had the option they would have opted for these features anyway. These boots are extremely soft and comfortable (I have had a pair for about a month now), require no breaking in, and are handmade from cape buffalo and impala hide. I think they look good, but not fancy, and very well made, tough, boots for bush-craft. Additionally, they are not very expensive, so far as good boots and shoes go, at $180.00 US. They do tend to fit on the wide (I am an A or a B width unfortunately), so I ordered mine a half-size larger than I usually take, which after putting in my insole and wearing a second pair of socks (wool) which is a good idea anyway in any boot you intend to walk far in the extra width disappears and I still have enough length.

I think that these are extremely good boots, definately in the period style, and are definately worth a look. This is my opinion anyway, and no I do not work for this company, I am just an extremely satisfied customer.

http://www.courteneyboot.com/tracker.htm

Hopefully this link and post work, as this is my first time posting to a forum, and I am sort of muddling my way through this process.

de Stokesay

eightbore

Suspended
De Stokesay! "DONKEY! BUY A DONKEY and welcome to the forum"! :) :) :) If you don't speak Afrikaans, please ignore the first part of that outburst. :)

I think if you don't want to go with the "high boot look" and want to adopt a more "rustic" appearance thus avoiding commercially available Victorian style footwear as seen above, I would probably go with something like the options pictured below from Russell Moccasin in America to recreate the veld-schoon. That said, De Stokesay is right, finding a visual of them is tough. I think this is not surprising as they were home-made and inconsistent styles and materials were probably the order of the day. Still, the absence of a rubber sole and a more "handmade look" to the below probably gives them the nod. Further, since Russell's are custom made to your feet, you could probably convince them to leave off the metal lace grommets for the sake of authenticity.

http://russellmoccasin.com/boots_stalkingtracking/laramie_oneida_tracker.html

tracker_laramieroughlg.gif

http://russellmoccasin.com/shoes_moccasins/kalahari_tracker_moc.html

kalaharilg.jpg

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Thought I'd resurrect and old thread with a new question!

Anyone, especially those of you in Great Britain, had any experience with these boots?

71078-1.jpg

They seem like a good, casual variation on the Clark's, but with an interesting character. At $47 US a decent bargain, too, but are they worth paying the shipping across the pond?

Found them here: Ghillie Desert Boots

Edward

Bartender
No direct experience with that specific model, though I do live just up the road from the vendor (if I pass them when they're open I'll try and look in on those - although I live only half a mile from them catching them open is a challenge as they don't open Saturday). In my experience, the items Silverman's stock are always of a good quality, though if you can find it elsewhere you are more than likely going to be able to find it cheaper - sometimes by a small amount, other times by some considerable way.

jmrtnko

Familiar Face
Check out the Timberland Wodehouse or Tackhead collections. Seriously. Their creative director has been making some amazing boots inspired by the company's historical archives for the last few years. They're very nice, not too expensive, pre-aged, quite believable, and have the extra bonus of modern comfort.

I bought a chukka boot from them a few years ago and topped it off with wool puttees. Looks great.

warbird

One Too Many
That does look like a comfortable boot.

joof_bootlg.jpg

It is a very comfortable boot. I own them, and the High Country Hunters. I will ask this, is this for actual safari use? If so these are really best in the African high country and in the areas or swamp and forrest. If you would primarily be in the plains areas, the drier hotter climates the Russell Safari PH and PH II would likely be the best boot. If you do wear lower boots such as the PH II don't forget to take along gaiters. The lighter weight, cooler boot is better for the hottest climes. Russell will put most any sole you want on a boot, but for PH's a fairly thin ground feeling sole is best.

An old shot of a fatter me in my High Country Hunters
IMG_3970.jpg

Last edited:

warbird

One Too Many
Thanks. No it is a very old Pendleton jacket. It dates to the 1950's. The hat, jacket and the shogun, a 1927 made Itaca New Ithaca Double or NID, were both my grandfather's. I still bird hunt in that same outfit every year. Though not the same boots, my grandfather also wore a pair of Russell Moccasins he had made for him in the 1940's. Other than a slightly different type of leather and a different sole, his looked nearly identical to mine.

Diamondback1

New in Town
Thought I'd resurrect and old thread with a new question!

Anyone, especially those of you in Great Britain, had any experience with these boots?

71078-1.jpg
They seem like a good, casual variation on the Clark's, but with an interesting character. At $47 US a decent bargain, too, but are they worth paying the shipping across the pond?

Found them here: Ghillie Desert Boots

those look VERY comfortable, and useful.

- regards

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo