Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sartorial nutcases: George V and the Duke of Windsor

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
A personal detail from the life of England's King George V was that his brown shoes seemed to shine more brightly than anyone else's. Curious members of the court eventually learned that the king's personal attendant had invented a special varnish for brown shoes but refused to reveal the secret of its composition. His Majesty also hated to have his pockets filled with keys. He never had more than one key with him at all times. This was the silver key to his box of personal papers which he kept attached to his watch chain. In addition, the king had exactly 24 suits and 36 pairs of shoes made for him per year, and he always had the upper buttonhole of his jacket embroidered with a large rose.

George V?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s son, Edward VIII (the Duke of Windsor), was an early convert to the cult of sportswear, but that's not to say a certain nutty intensity didn't inform his choices. The left hip pocket of his trousers had no fastening and was slightly wider than the right pocket to accommodate his cigarette case; since he didn't like wearing a belt or suspenders, his tailor devised a special little elastic girdle which fastened down the center front of his pants with a series of hooks.

Oddly enough, the Duke of Windsor did not have his suits?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ trousers made by the tailor of the same suits?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ jackets. Instead, the suit trousers were made by H. Harris, a New York-based tailor whose apprenticeship was served in London. The Duke began to have his trousers tailored by Harris while he was Governor of the Bahamas during the Second World War. As the Duke explained, "I gave him a pair of my old London trousers and he copied them admirably. Since then, I have had my trousers made in New York and my jackets in London, an international compromise which the Duchess aptly describes as 'pants across the sea.'"

That's a good story.

There was a recent thread on the londonlounge (don't know if i'm allowed to mantion that place over here - please advise) recently where some dude had got access to the DofW suit archive. He posted some pics. First thing: I didn't realise the duke was so small! His jackets are tiny.

Second, there was an almost complete lack of the design features discussed by some as the "height of gentlemanly style". For example, his cuff buttons were non-functional.

Third, he had a pair of boxer shorts tailored into his trousers. Weird. Probably so the poor lamb wouldn't have to be helped by his Man into two separate garments of a'morning. Dressing is such a chore :rolleyes:

bk

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
That lounge is much more exclusive in who they allow to join, apparently.
I am closer to thinking that the boxers were more like a washable lining- the fabric looks quite heavy and was probably a winter suit. A cotton lining would preserve the warmth of the fabric and also allow sweat to be absorbed better than the seran wrap that is satin.
Either that or the duke was too annoyed with his boxers slipping past his hips and having the same effect as boxers with our youth today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner