Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saving Energy: A Vintage Concept?

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Saving energy? What's that??? :p

Seriously, I must admit we don't take a lot of steps specifically to save energy. I like to have the indoor temperature of my house comfortable (cool enough in the summer, warm enough in the winter) though we do have an electronic thermostat to allow for higher temps in summer and cooler in winter when we're not home. As for lighting, I could never stand a dim room. I tend to use 100 watt bulbs. I'm worse about it these days as it gets harder to read in low light as I get older. I do have my computer set to go into hibernate mode after a certain amount of time. I also use a dryer to dry my clothes.

What it boils down to is that I like to be comfortable in my own home. I don't want to have to go somewhere else to be cool in the summertime or warm in the wintertime, and as long as I can afford it I'm going to be comfortable.

What I don't get is this: why is it that temperatures in the low 60s, say, feel nice and crisp when outside and just chilly when inside? Or why temps in the 80s aren't too bad outside, but oppressive inside? Never could figure that one out. [huh]

Cheers,
Tom

tumblr_m0wrz8c4LT1rohs3fo1_500.jpg

Last edited:

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
As for lighting, I could never stand a dim room. I tend to use 100 watt bulbs. I'm worse about it these days as it gets harder to read in low light as I get older.

I can't stand a dim room either. So you're not the only one. (My vision is pretty poor, and the use of lights makes a huge difference.)

Interestingly enough, we need more light as we age in order to be able to do tasks like reading. However, most nursing homes use light that is inadequate for people once they hit their 40s, yet alone people in their 70s and 80s. I never understood that.

Buggnkat

Familiar Face
A suggestion on lights (being a commercial property manager helps) would be compact flourescents or LEDs. LEDs are expensive on the purchase price, but over the long haul and given they last 10xs longer than the incandescent brothers they are very energy efficient. Course the heart attack you get when you see the price, and the medical bills that will follow may negate that.... :D

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab

lollollol I guess I'm not the only one to ponder on that particular question!!!

Buggnkat, I have been looking at the CFs and LEDs but I'm not sure they'd last as long as claimed. For some reason we go through a lot of light bulbs in this house, especially the ones under the fans. I have switched the lights under the ceiling fan in my home office to high-watt equivelent CFs (twisted kind) and once warmed up they're not bad but my wife won't let me put them in the fans in the dining or living rooms! Can't imagine why not. :p

Cheers,
Tom

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The thing with those CF lamps is that the cheap ones tend to burn up -- and by burn up I mean the circuitry in the base actually incinerates. You'll smell an acrid stink of burning semiconductor and then the light goes out -- sort of like when the ballast in a full-sized fluorescent goes south. The cheap bargain brands are the worst offenders in this respect -- we have some of them at work and I spend as much time replacing them as I do the ordinary incandescents.

So far there's been at least one documented case of cheapie discount CFL's being recalled as a fire hazard. If you use these types of bulbs, stay away from the dollar-store specials.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I'll stick with regular incandescents for as long as I can get them.

Normally I'd be with you on this one, but in the case of my office I went with the CFs (and yes, I bought good ones) because they are so much cooler than incandescents. (Actual temperature, not color temperature.) The ceiling is low enough that I can touch it when standing flat-footed, with a fan and lights hanging from that. It got pretty warm under those lights when I ren incandescents in them!

Buggnkat

Familiar Face
We have went to CFs and I tend to agree with the above, they (cheap ones) do tend to burn up quickly if used alot. The LEDs are my unit of choice and have convinced our O&M contractor to give them a whirl. These (LEDs) do last longer and we have yet to have to replace one in 9 months. Our elevators were CFs and we were going through them on average failure rate of 1 in 6 over a year. Same problems as stated above, the bases burn up. These lights are on 24/7. So in instances were you need or use frequently I would go with the LED.

I have replaced my spot lights on the exterior of my home, and those have saved me over $50 a month on the electric bill. I am pretty happy about that. I have had them in for 1 year. I have had no failures of these bulbs. These are 12 each around the exterior with 4 on from dusk till dawn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy