Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saving Private Ryan video...with 3 people??

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
I watched the programme with growing disappointment. It was a triumph of technology over historical accuracy. I wonder who gave the military and historical advice to the programme makers.

I'd rather have a few correct facts explained by someone who was there or a well informed historian than all the computer graphics.

Just my opinion.

Alan

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Computers are good....

Alan Eardley said:
I watched the programme with growing disappointment. It was a triumph of technology over historical accuracy. I wonder who gave the military and historical advice to the programme makers.

I'd rather have a few correct facts explained by someone who was there or a well informed historian than all the computer graphics.

Just my opinion.

Alan

Quite honestly, if anyone has seen a film production, esp. a major film..the "behind the scenes" effort is enormous. By filming three "extras" in various roles (running, falling, climbing, crawling, etc.), they were able to reproduce the effects and animations in the final film. Also, they were able to photograph memorial artifacts (the obstructions) and then re-create them via CGI and the magic of ILM.

You could not possibly assemble those ships, erect "props" on the beach, and pay for all those extras in costume at the same cost as doing it with the modern "magic". Gone are the days of Cecil B. DeMille and his "cast of thousands". Now it is "Cast of Computer Images". Still , Saving Private Ryan is an outstanding film. I rate it behind Band of Brothers..which I liked better.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
I don't dispute any of this, but the programme on which the YouTube extract is based, which was presented by Richard Hammond on UK television, was supposed to be an information programme presenting facts - a documentary.

Hammond is not a historian and, as far as I know, has no background in WW2 military matters. I don't know who acted as advisor to the programme, but there were many errors. I would have settled for correct information and grainy images from old B&W films and stills with old-fashioned 'voiceovers' than all the CGI and the cringeingly incorrect 'facts'.

Just my opinion.

Alan

Andykev said:
Quite honestly, if anyone has seen a film production, esp. a major film..the "behind the scenes" effort is enormous. By filming three "extras" in various roles (running, falling, climbing, crawling, etc.), they were able to reproduce the effects and animations in the final film. Also, they were able to photograph memorial artifacts (the obstructions) and then re-create them via CGI and the magic of ILM.

You could not possibly assemble those ships, erect "props" on the beach, and pay for all those extras in costume at the same cost as doing it with the modern "magic". Gone are the days of Cecil B. DeMille and his "cast of thousands". Now it is "Cast of Computer Images". Still , Saving Private Ryan is an outstanding film. I rate it behind Band of Brothers..which I liked better.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
even if it is inaccurate it was still amazing that 3 people were able to recreate a scene that cost millions for a film company...

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
If that was the point of the programme, I'd be as amazed as anyone else, but it wasn't. The 'recreation' was just a small part (a few minutes worth) of a documentary programme, the purpose of which (I assume) was to inform, not to misinform.

I'm sure the programme makers had a ball with the CGI. The phrase 'boys with toys' springs to mind. Me? I want the facts. I'd be amazed if this crew got their facts right.

Alan

SamMarlowPI said:
even if it is inaccurate it was still amazing that 3 people were able to recreate a scene that cost millions for a film company...

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Yes, of course, it's very impressive. There's no reason why greater technical accuracy couldn't be achieved. It's just a demonstration of what's possible. I'd like to see the actual show, tho, to judge the final product. Still, they have a long way to go before they can compare to that great long range shot of the beach in "The Longest Day". That was a truly great shot. And now that I think of it, the dramatic effect of knowing what a great extravagnza that shot was contributed to the effect.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family

I personally could care less about the historical fact behind any of it... Which is why I say good job to the folks who had the b@lls to make it happen!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot