Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scala New Yorker?

Tanker

New in Town
Hello All,

I was in Boston's North Station and laid my vintage grey fedora down for a moment.

"BLINK"

And my hat was gone on the next stage of its journey...without me...

I now need a replacement. I was looking at the Scala New Yorker, it looks very much like the hat which was liberated from me. Anyone have an opinion about it?

Tanker.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Sorry to hear about the loss. Look for another vintage on ebay, or go custom!
I'm not familiar with the model you refer to, but I wish someone had told me not to buy a Scala before I did.

Tanker

New in Town
I have a wife, ex-wife, and a teenage daughter.

In order to afford a custom hat I'd have to get rid of one of the above. I would prefer to get rid of the ex-wife first (email me, no reasonable offer refused).

So, I'm on a budget here. If you are saying that the Scala isn't worth it, I do have to other vintage hats. I just don't like wearing them every day. I'm certainly not going to wear another in North Station!

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
I just got rid of my scala new yorker. Ok I know you just said you can't afford custom but there is a custom hatter named Parker Melvin that can make one for 140 dollars shipped. falconparkhattery.com. I just wouldn't buy a wool fedora anymore just not worth saving a little money for how inferior they are.

I wear a Scala New Yorker on a daily basis. It's not as nice as a fur felt, for sure, but it gets the job done. I think I paid 20 or 25 bucks for it and it's great for being out and about. If I were in an unfortunate situation such as you just had, I would only be out 25 bucks or so. No big loss.

It's actually the hat in my Avatar.

Hello All,

I was in Boston's North Station and laid my vintage grey fedora down for a moment.

"BLINK"

I now need a replacement. I was looking at the Scala New Yorker, it looks very much like the hat which was liberated from me. Anyone have an opinion about it?

Tanker.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Wish this would have been posted last week I could have sent ya mine :). I sounded a little harsh after reading my first post it is just I was not very impressed with the feel of the hat. Now it is one of the better wool hats I ever had. It has a liner and does look fine. So if you want to stick with wool you could do much worse. Shameless self-promotion but I have two vintage fedoras for sale in the 7 1/8 to 7 1/4 range if that fits you let me know and I will send you a link to my ebay page. They are very affordable right now.

Last edited:

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Tanker, you might want to place an ad in the classifieds section that states your size, what you want to buy, and how much you want to spend. Someone here might have just the hat for you!

Lt.Tom

Familiar Face
I've not owned a New Yorker, but I did try one on just this past weekend. I was impressed that it did have a full liner at that price, and it felt pretty good for a wool hat. I'm saving for my first nice fur felt fedora, but for now I too am in a situation where I wear wool hats, or none at all. Eventually my kids will stop outgrowing all of their clothes every two weeks..............

Last edited:
Hello All,

"BLINK"

Tanker.

That's a shame. I have been through North Station many times with my hat, when I take if off(if at all) I make sure I keep my eyes on it.
The Scala may be a less expensive replacement temporarily, but won't come close in the long run to a nice vintage hat. For the money, I think vintage is better.

Tanker

New in Town
Took me three trips to Brimfield to find that hat...

Thrill of the chase and all, but I'd rather have a hat while looking for a better one.

O2BSwank

One of the Regulars
I've got a Scala New yorker in grey. I like it, it looks good and gets compliments. Nice to have a full liner and leather sweatband. Yes, it does not have the smooth look of a nice fur but it's still nice. Comes in a nice brown too. I paid fifty bucks for mine at a local hat store.

Jhoff79

New in Town
Sorry to hear about the loss. Look for another vintage on ebay, or go custom!
I'm not familiar with the model you refer to, but I wish someone had told me not to buy a Scala before I did.

I now own a Scala Classico New Yorker. I love it! The only complaint I have about the New Yorker is that it only comes in 3 colors (Black, Brown and Gray). It is my favorite brim and I now own 6. If I could I would buy in Navy Blue. Hope they decide to make one in the near future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass