Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott 688, 557, Aero Seven fit checks

Showerfan

New in Town
I’ve been obsessing over the Schott 688 for a few years now. I love the relaxed fit, the cow feels amazing, and the dark brown color is just luscious. The sleeves are too short for me, I need about two inches added, but then I worry I’d need another inch in the body, or the jacket would look disproportionate. What do you think of the fit?

IMG_4372.jpeg

IMG_4374.jpeg

I think the back would drape better after breaking it in — I’ve learned a break-in goes a long way to making any leather jacket fit. I’ve been doing this for a while, I have multiple Aeros, a couple from Sommomsbilt, an Eastman and a Bill Kelso — I even went to Tokyo to chase down The Real McCoys. But I haven’t had a Schott jacket since I got a 618 to go with my Doc Martens in, like, 1991.

While I was at the new Schott store downtown — it is very cool, highly recommend a visit! — I saw a pebbled, reddish-brown jacket in a similar style that looked really intriguing. The 558 (edit: it’s actually a 557) is a slightly slimmer cut and has slightly longer arms and body. I still probably need an inch-and-a-half or four centimeters in the sleeve:

IMG_4368.jpeg

IMG_4371.jpeg

This jacket really impressed me, I love the back. I think Schott is pretty underrated compared to Aero and the Japanese brands — maybe because they don’t do replicas? In any case, I think they have some awesome designs and very high-quality leathers. (Plus Grateful Dead gear that I love.)

Last year I had this Aero Seven made from CXL horse and I want to be buried in that leather, but trying on these Schott’s has increased my concern that the Thurston-Bros custom is too small for me. Until recently I felt it had broken in perfectly, even if it feels more like a shirt than a jacket. What do you think? (The very high armholes help it work well on the bike.)

IMG_4364.jpeg

IMG_4366.jpeg

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Last edited:

bigmanbigtruck

One of the Regulars
I would say the 558 actually fit you the best out of the 3.
The 688 is not bad either... bit more relaxed vs the 558, just the sleeves that don't work. If you were able to add length to the sleeves, I don't see why things would look disproportionate.

And sorry to say, but I also think your Aero is too small and gives you an unflattering A-shape.

Last edited:

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think the first jacket is the best and would only lengthen the sleeves. I wouldn't do anything to the body length.

Showerfan

New in Town
What do you think about the Seven, @MrProper ? I’m afraid @bigmanbigtruck may be right, in which case I’ll have to get rid of it and order another one, but maybe in a Sheene insteaad. Could the Seven just be the wrong shape for me, too slim?

newtojackets

Practically Family
558 looks the best. First one is definitely too short on the arms. The Aero is slightly too small, though may work unzipped (can’t tell without photos though)

Showerfan

New in Town
I’m going to buy both and have them altered — the 688 and the 557 (I mistakenly called it the 558 in my original post, it’s actually the 557).

I guess I’ll sell the Aero, although it works so well on the motorcycle that I may keep it just for that.

Last edited:

hafor123

One of the Regulars
Can a tailor actually add sleeve length without making it seem like alteration has been done ?

Showerfan

New in Town
Only if that tailor has the original leather in large enough quantities. Difficult but not insurmountable hahaha

bigmanbigtruck

One of the Regulars
I’m going to buy both and have them altered — the 688 and the 557 (I mistakenly called it the 558 in my original post, it’s actually the 557).

I guess I’ll sell the Aero, although it works so well on the motorcycle that I may keep it just for that.

Besides the sleeve length on the 688, what else are you looking to alter? I think getting the sleeves lengthened is gonna be a tough one.For leather products especially, think alterations are better suited for making things trimmer or shorter, rather than the other direction.

idk, at this point, taking into account the price of the jackets themselves + tailoring costs + difficulty involved, may be more economical to just get a custom with a more relaxed fit.

I know your aero didn't exactly work out, but now you have some idea of what works for you and can use the Schott measurements and pattern as a baseline for your next jacket.

Last edited:

Showerfan

New in Town
I’ll not change anything on the 688 other than adding 2” to the sleeves and an inch to the bottom hem of the body.

The 557 just needs about 1.5” to the sleeves, otherwise it’s perfect.

Aloysius

Honestly with leather jackets I don't care all that much if the sleeve is a bit too short if everything else works. They're casual wear after all.

Showerfan

New in Town
Honestly with leather jackets I don't care all that much if the sleeve is a bit too short if everything else works. They're casual wear after all.
I wish I could not care as much as I do about consumer goods like this — no joke. You have a gift, my man.

I have a sickness that extends mostly to leather jackets and I’m after the cure!

Last edited:

Aloysius

I wish I could not care as much as I do about consumer goods like this — no joke. You have a gift, my man.

I have a sickness that extends mostly to leather jackets and I’m after the cure!

Haha the thing is it would bother me to no end on a sports jacket (even a casual one like a tweed). But with a leather jacket it matters a lot less to me, not least because a lot of vintage ones were that short by design (because people would wear gauntlet gloves over the shorter sleeve) so it’s not even wrong in the same way.

bigmanbigtruck

One of the Regulars

Gotta remember that everybody's taste in this hobby is just a subjective opinion.

Some like their jackets and sleeves long, some prefer short (in some cases to show off their watch! - maybe you should take note since you look like a watch guy yourself).
Some prefer loose fit, some prefer tight.
Some want heavier leather, some want the light stuff.
You get the idea...

I've seen some guys on here that have perfect looking fits and I wish I had something like that for myself... but a few weeks later, I see them post their jacket in classifieds :D
Just reminds me how subjective everyone's taste in here can be sometimes.

That being said, I like the sleeves on my jacket to at least hit my wrist bone. If it's anywhere above, it always just feels wrong to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou