Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott 689H Horsehide jacket - opinions and suggestions?

Papa M

A-List Customer
I think that the jacket looks fine (as long as you're happy with that skinny tapered look and slightly skimpy sleeve length).

Suggest that you might rethink the denim styling. Those are damn flares aren't they? I don't think that you are a teenager so I reckon that a nice pair of Japanese selvage or even Levi's Vintage Collection in a vintage boxey shape would do wonders for the jacket.

Put some shoes on too my friend! :)

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Papa M said:
I think that the jacket looks fine (as long as you're happy with that skinny tapered look and slightly skimpy sleeve length).

Suggest that you might rethink the denim styling. Those are damn flares aren't they? I don't think that you are a teenager so I reckon that a nice pair of Japanese selvage or even Levi's Vintage Collection in a vintage boxey shape would do wonders for the jacket.

Put some shoes on too my friend! :)

LOL - Give me a break :) - it was late in the evening when I took the pics!

Those jeans are the most trendy looking ones I own. I wear western boots every day and I have big feet, so I actually like a little flare in my jeans if I can get it - the jeans actually don't look that flared with the boot tops inside. Normally I wear Levi 527's, which probably would look better with it...

In any case, unfortunately, I think I am going to have to return this jacket. I took a drive in it just now and the sleeves were hiked up almost 2 inches past my wrists. I am really disappointed because I really like the jacket and I especsially like the weight and feel of the horsehide. And man, does it smell good! I got a good price on it too - bummer. I'm not 100% sure yet, but I'm pretty close.

goldendawn7

New in Town
If you think you may want to return it, do it. Being without the jacket but with the 4-6 hundred bucks you spent on it to find what you really like will be much better then not having the money, but having a jacket you dont wear because its not comfortable.

Papa M

A-List Customer
jimmer_5 said:
Those jeans are the most trendy looking ones I own.

There lies the problem perhaps. "Trendy" is not necessarily a desirable look. "Vintage" is much more appealing to me personally.

For jeans take a look at Studio d'Artisan. Ignore their hand painted or embroidered lines and concentrate on their classic unadorned hommages to vintage Levi's. There are literally dozens of other magnificent Japanese denim companies but Studio d'Artisan is my personal favourite.

Papa M

A-List Customer
OneEyeMan said:
Are you serious?
$300 for a pair of jeanslol

Yes I guess that I am serious. Very serious about denim!

As in all things it's down to the quality. I'm sure that you could buy a leather bomber jacket for 50 bucks. Alternatively you could buy an Aero or Eastman for 600. Or you could go for a Buco for 1000.

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Hey, sorry Papa M.
I now realize that I came across as a bit of a jerk.
Your analogy is right on.
That's why some people buy Hyundais, and some buy Ferraris.
Lenny

I dunno....
I thought the original poster was wanting opinions and suggestions on his new jacket...? Seems this thread turned into something else..concerning another's very opinionated views on denim,somehow. I suppose we could debate who's acting like a jerk...or if there is one. What I do know is,it seems,the OP could care less what someone thinks of his jeans..or socks...for that matter. I know that I could care less as well............
HD

Papa M

A-List Customer
HoosierDaddy said:
Seems this thread turned into something else..concerning another's very opinionated views on denim,somehow. I suppose we could debate who's acting like a jerk...or if there is one. What I do know is,it seems,the OP could care less what someone thinks of his jeans..or socks...for that matter. I know that I could care less as well............
HD

Gee wizz.- It's a forum intended for some friendly chat about fashion. Sorry if you are unable to cope with that.

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
$700 for a jacket, you should get exactly what you want

I'd say get your money back and keep searching for that HH Cafe style jacket that you want and that won't dissapoint from any angle. At that price point $700, you should be able to get something just about perfect for you. I've got over 4 times that tied up on one of my jackets and I'll tell you that it is perfect fit and unique construction with exclusivity to boot, like it was made just for me. You should get what you pay for, and anything over $300 for a jacket is no small change. I have made mistakes in the past buying expedition gear that did not fit just right. In the long run its money wasted. A fine fitting jacket with a likeable and usable design will pay you back in droves as you depend on it for a long time to come.

And PapaM, I don't believe you are talking to a kid (although you sure sound like it), the OP plunked over 5 bills on a jacket without flinching, not even at his spouse, give the man some slack.

Papa M

A-List Customer
P5640blouson said:
And PapaM, I don't believe you are talking to a kid (although you sure sound like it), the OP plunked over 5 bills on a jacket without flinching, not even at his spouse, give the man some slack.

I gave him full encouragement on his jacket and made a comical comment on his jeans and socks. He responded by laughing along with me.

How about you cut ME some slack and try lightening up?

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
My bad, I didn't catch your British humor.

My bad, I did not see your location and so I didn't catch your British humor.
Mea Culpa

Best Regards

Papa M

A-List Customer
P5640blouson said:
My bad, I did not see your location and so I didn't catch your British humor.
Mea Culpa

Best Regards

I sometimes forget that our humour is somewhat quircky from across the pond.
Best wishes.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Papa M said:
There lies the problem perhaps. "Trendy" is not necessarily a desirable look. "Vintage" is much more appealing to me personally.

For jeans take a look at Studio d'Artisan. Ignore their hand painted or embroidered lines and concentrate on their classic unadorned hommages to vintage Levi's. There are literally dozens of other magnificent Japanese denim companies but Studio d'Artisan is my personal favourite.

Despite the look of the jeans, I am actually not a trendy person at all. I always find it humorous when things I like come into fashion. I much prefer clothing with classic, masculine, style. Levi's, good solid boots, western shirts and nicely cut button ups, and workshirts and jackets. Too many years in the backwoods and the tire shop. I know better, but I dress the way I like and to hell with the temporary trends of fashion.

As the jeans in the pic are concerned, they are a style by Guess called the Rancho. I never thought I would have owned their jeans (I hated even going into the store), but the cut is fantastic for my build - jeans with any kind of taper look ridiculous on me, so a little bit of flare is perfect with my big feet. I tolerate the flap pockets and some of the detailing because they fit nicely. If they were more traditionally styled, they would be perfect.

Papa M

A-List Customer
jimmer_5 said:
.... a little bit of flare is perfect with my big feet.

Fair comment. Personally I have too many hazy memories of my own flared fashion horrors from the late sixties and early seventies. Never again!

I remember cutting open the legs of my original selvage Levi's and inserting gussets. What was I thinking!

nrvnqsrxk

New in Town
The jacket looks good, but if you're not happy with it, return it. I agree with the other that for the price that you pay, you should be ecstatic about wearing it every single time. Do you require custom fitting? Aero is selling jackets on E-Bay for around $675.00 with free shipping

Aero Cafe Racer

jac

Familiar Face
Sleeves definitely too short for the bike.
Have you considered a drop-tail back? Keeps cold air off the heinie.lol

Aero are absolutely gorgeous, but they are expensive and you will wait.

I was gifted an LW, it's nice, but not 'all that'.

If you liked the Schott, but need something designed for riding, go to
http://www.legendaryusa.com/Horsehide_Leather_Jacket_s/53.htm
they have sales around thanksgiving that should keep your wife from grimacing.
Schott manufactures their horsehide jackets. Be forewarned- they are warm!

If your wife is very freaked out about the cost, do a search for the
"Toys McCoy" horsehide... it will make all else seem reasonable.

re: fqhh, it will spoil you, no question.
remember, breaking it in is the fun part!

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Well, it's official - I sent back the Schott today, and God and the bank account willing, I'm gonna order an Aero.

Ironically, it was my wife who said pretty much the same thing that many of you here have said - "If you're gonna spend that much money, get the one you really want".

Now for the long wait..... ugh!

Edward

Bartender
OneEyeMan said:
Does Lost Worlds allow any customization of their jackets?
Or is Stuart really the Leather Nazi as I've heard?
Lenny

Now there's an image. The guy comes off as so abrasive on his website that tbh I wouldn't have considered attempting to deal with him. You can but ask!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24