Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott 689H sz 40”

No sense in dragging out the inevitable as this one just doesn’t fit. I sort of knew it wouldn’t but having never tried Schotts Horsehide, I wanted to know if this might be worth pursuing in my size. This convinced me to do just that. The hide is actually phenomenal. I absolutely love it. It’s thick as balls and despite this jacket being broken in, it’s still quite stiff and very dense. It reminds me very much of LW’s horse. Even smells like it. Quilted nylon liner. No snaps to hold down collar.
Measures:
22.5” P2p
20” shoulder
25” back (excluding collar)
20” hem
24.5” sleeve
I can wear it but I can not zip it up. The numbers are deceiving. The shoulders feel more trim and the sleeves fit longer than those would indicate. Everything is perfect on it. 100% good to go.
I am 5’11” about 205lbs as of today.
Asking $280 shipped conus PPFF or zelle. I paid $237 after shipping and taxes so I’d like to get out of this one totally clean, no loss on my part. I think it’s still a very good deal at that price. If it fits, I can assure you will not be disappointed.
IMG_4382.jpeg
IMG_4383.jpeg
IMG_4388.jpeg
IMG_4387.jpeg

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
The hide looks terrific. NOT like the same label Schott HH I have. Strange how the same Schott line of jackets is so very different. I noticed also, the shoulders are wider than normal for that jacket. Whoever gets it will be very happy.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I absolutely love it. It very much reminds me of LW’s horse. Feels and smells the same. Not quite as thick as Stu’s dreadnought but not far off.

The thicker version of this hide is exclusively used on the 613SH for some reason. One of the reasons I love that jacket so much and reason enough to own it.

The thicker version of this hide is exclusively used on the 613SH for some reason. One of the reasons I love that jacket so much and reason enough to own it.
Yes it’s been eye opening. Frankly, I’ve often times written Schott off. Not because I don’t respect them or like the jackets. I’ve always liked Schott’s stuff but I just didn’t think they could really compete. I was wrong.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Yes it’s been eye opening. Frankly, I’ve often times written Schott off. Not because I don’t respect them or like the jackets. I’ve always liked Schott’s stuff but I just didn’t think they could really compete. I was wrong.
Schott has such volume production and such a variety of styles, one can tend to look at them as falling too much into the mainstream/mass produced jacket realm compared to the niche and smaller production makers. But they DO still have the ability to crank out some goodies. Schott almost has something for everyone which can also mar their reputation perhaps to some. Are their moto jackets on par with Vanson?? No, certainly not across the board but they make a couple that could compete. Is their Highwayman on par with Aero?? It could be in the conversation if you let it.

Schott has known and undeniable long history in the leather jacket biz. I think oftentimes we can be SNOBBY and turn our noses at them because of their wide production and a preconceived belief that they don't measure up to smaller artisan type makers' products. I think this is largely in our heads. Not saying everything they make is top notch or desirable. We all know @ton312 has uhhhhhhh sorta like, shall we say, seen his share of leather jackets in this life so this endorsement is coming from a highly educated source to say the least. Strange that @photo2u 's Schott with the same label is underwhelming. You'd tend to think Schott could nail consistency if nothing else.

Aloysius

I haven't been wearing my 613SH much this past fall/winter precisely because every time I put it on I get hit by the realization that just about none of my other jackets offer the same combination of hide and pattern quality… a freight train of regret.

Aloysius

Schott has such volume production and such a variety of styles, one can tend to look at them as falling too much into the mainstream/mass produced jacket realm compared to the niche and smaller production makers. But they DO still have the ability to crank out some goodies. Schott almost has something for everyone which can also mar their reputation perhaps to some. Are their moto jackets on par with Vanson?? No, certainly not across the board but they make a couple that could compete. Is their Highwayman on par with Aero?? It could be in the conversation if you let it.

I've mentioned it before but on TFL we far overestimate Schott's size. They do have a few retail stores but their factory/HQ operation is similar in size to Vanson, slightly bigger than an outfit like Aero. (And like Aero and Vanson, the family that owns it is in every day.)

Claybertrand

One Too Many
I've mentioned it before but on TFL we far overestimate Schott's size. They do have a few retail stores but their factory/HQ operation is similar in size to Vanson, slightly bigger than an outfit like Aero. (And like Aero and Vanson, the family that owns it is in every day.)
Well said. I think the breadth of Schott's reputation must be largely due to effective marketing and branding over the years. The company stores do make them seem like a bigger brand. I always thought their production was much higher than Aero though. Interesting. You pointed out a cool and distinctive commonality in that they each (Vanson, Schott, Aero) do have family ownership that is proud and INVOLVED in their businesses day to day. These brands have also for the most part stayed true to their roots and their products. They didn't go off the rails and outsource to China or dip into the Mall Jacket level of product like some others did. I think perhaps we (or at least I) have a tendency to seek out and probably overvalue the obscure while undervaluing that which we see often.

Nacho

Practically Family
Well said. I think the breadth of Schott's reputation must be largely due to effective marketing and branding over the years. The company stores do make them seem like a bigger brand. I always thought their production was much higher than Aero though. Interesting. You pointed out a cool and distinctive commonality in that they each (Vanson, Schott, Aero) do have family ownership that is proud and INVOLVED in their businesses day to day. These brands have also for the most part stayed true to their roots and their products. They didn't go off the rails and outsource to China or dip into the Mall Jacket level of product like some others did. I think perhaps we (or at least I) have a tendency to seek out and probably overvalue the obscure while undervaluing that which we see often.
Agreed!

I started this hobby with 3 Schotts. The first two are 613US and 642 made for the Japanese market. The last one is the 1993 618.

Out of the three, the 613US is the best in terms of fit and hide quality - nice supple steerhide with a right amount of grains. The leather smells good and the jacket fits everywhere.

Runner up is the 1993 618, hide isn't as good as the 613US but it's decent enough to look at. When under a certain light, the jacket has a nice sheen to it. I got a lot of compliments for it as a result.

The worst of all is the 642. Plastic-feel leather with a poor pattern. This jacket has 18" shoulders and that's what I usually wear, but the cut is so sloppy that my shoulders look droopy in it. Not something that I'm a fan of.

You can find some gems with Schott but also some duds at the same time. I mean, they've been in this business for over 100 years so you can't really write that off.

Last edited:

Aloysius

The worst of all is the 642. Plastic-feel leather with a poor pattern. This jacket has 18" shoulders and that's what I usually wear, but the cut is sloppy therefore my shoulders look droopy in it. Not something that I'm a fan of.

The 642 was a special run for a distributor in Japan so its weird features and fit were actually requested specifically, funnily enough. We'd have to look at 90s Japanese fashion to find out why.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Agreed!

I started this hobby with 3 Schotts. The first two are 613US and 642 made for the Japanese market. The last one is the 1993 618.

Out of the three, the 613US is the best in terms of fit and hide quality - nice supple steerhide with a right amount of grains. The leather smells good and the jacket fits everywhere.

Runner up is the 1993 618, hide isn't as good as the 613US but it's decent enough to look at. When under a certain light, the jacket has a nice sheen to it. I got a lot of compliments for it as a result.

The worst of all is the 642. Plastic-feel leather with a poor pattern. This jacket has 18" shoulders and that's what I usually wear, but the cut is sloppy therefore my shoulders look droopy in it. Not something that I'm a fan of.

You can find some gems with Schott but also some duds at the same time. I mean, they've been in this business for over 100 years so you can't really write that off.
My first 2 vintage purchases were Schotts. I have handled a fair amount of their Cafe Racers and still have several cool Schott jackets. I also have one pretty sucky one. Lol. Ya cayn't win em all!!

Nacho

Practically Family
The 642 was a special run for a distributor in Japan so its weird features and fit were actually requested specifically, funnily enough. We'd have to look at 90s Japanese fashion to find out why.
No wonder it's shitty. Paid $400 for it. Well, you live and learn lolol.

Nacho

Practically Family
My first 2 vintage purchases were Schotts. I have handled a fair amount of their Cafe Racers and still have several cool Schott jackets. I also have one pretty sucky one. Lol. Ya cayn't win em all!!
Nice. We're on the same boat, man.

Nothing wrong with Schott at all. I work with this one guy and he's never owned a Schott yet he looks down on them. He ended up buying a David Himel Cossack and one of the buttons loosened after 1 month. It also looks goofy on the guy. I can't believe he paid over $2k for that thing. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

abbaralph

One of the Regulars
Off topic somewhat but I live near portland, and have wandered into langlitz leathers. It is a very small building and all the production and sales are all within eye shot of when you walk I. The front door. I have seen coffee shops bigger than langlitz!

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Off topic somewhat but I live near portland, and have wandered into langlitz leathers. It is a very small building and all the production and sales are all within eye shot of when you walk I. The front door. I have seen coffee shops bigger than langlitz!
Yessir. Langlitz is another small - I believe family run operation. You guys also have Dehen up there. Not sure if that is still a family run business too but I thought I read that it was.

abbaralph

One of the Regulars
Yessir. Langlitz is another small - I believe family run operation. You guys also have Dehen up there. Not sure if that is still a family run business too but I thought I read that it was.
Well Wesco boots is in scapoose which is the next town over from me. Never heard of dehen, will look into it

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Dehen, to be clear, is not a leather garment maker. They make heavy outdoor and sorta work wear. They're in Portland and started in 1920. I thought it was a woolen mill but I may be mistaken. I know they make quality stuff. Maybe along the lines of CC Filson. I don't own anything from them but their stuff looks cool and well made.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran