Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott permanently closes Chicago location

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I’m guessing elsewhere. The spot they were in had extremely heavy foot traffic and a good foot print. I just don’t think, despite how it appears if you spend time on TFL, that many people are in the market for a $700-$1200 leather jacket. Sure we’re out there but internet buying is so easy now. I think very few markets will work.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
I had no idea they even had a Chicago location. :(

I’m guessing elsewhere. The spot they were in had extremely heavy foot traffic and a good foot print. I just don’t think, despite how it appears if you spend time on TFL, that many people are in the market for a $700-$1200 leather jacket. Sure we’re out there but internet buying is so easy now. I think very few markets will work.
Sad, but true. They were never in my price range, and because of the sadly disposable society we live in, they were apparently not in anybody else's price range either.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That’s a shame. The Schott store in San Francisco plans to reopen next Tuesday. It has been on my list to check out for a while but I have never made it down there.

Arnold

One of the Regulars
And that's despite their catering to fashion trends in recent years by adding lots of slim-fit models. I thought that would garner them a solid customer base with well-off young urban people.

I wish Schott could go back to being a boutique manufacturer for motorcycle jackets and improve the quality of those to 1980s standards. I'd certainly be willing to pay more for that than for those anorexic looking jackets they sell now.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
And that's despite their catering to fashion trends in recent years by adding lots of slim-fit models. I thought that would garner them a solid customer base with well-off young urban people.

I wish Schott could go back to being a boutique manufacturer for motorcycle jackets and improve the quality of those to 1980s standards. I'd certainly be willing to pay more for that than for those anorexic looking jackets they sell now.

What we value will not sustain a mainstream company like Schott. Not enough customers for that stuff. Leather jackets have finite appeal. I know no other guys who wear leather in my entire friendship or work groups. Most guys will buy a $100 soft-shell every 3 to 5 years and be happy with that. I envy them.

Cornelius

Practically Family
Did their store get hit in the Milwaukee Avenue looting two weeks ago or was this purely related to the Covid Retail Recession?

Did their store get hit in the Milwaukee Avenue looting two weeks ago or was this purely related to the Covid Retail Recession?
Good question. I don’t know for sure but tbh in the three or four times I visited the store. I was the only one in it. Maybe one another person who wasn’t working there. The last time I was there was in December and it was really quiet.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Most guys will buy a $100 soft-shell every 3 to 5 years and be happy with that. I envy them.

I think the 'fast fashion' market we see today is the biggest problem. Retailers like Zara and H&M introduce a new collection 8 times a year. People are encouraged to buy something new on a very regular basis. Not only to keep up with the latest fashion trends, but also because the quality of the garments is so poor they wear out after just a few months. You can buy a 'leather' mc jacket for just €50, Brand-new and looks great on your instagram account. After 6 months it falls apart and they want / need something new. This is all young people know. They have never had the experience of buying something that lasts. They don't even want something that lasts because they are indoctrinated by the industry and by social media that they must have the newest and the latest fashion.
I don't envy them.

Mich486

One Too Many
Yes I see your point but I don’t think it’s just that simple. The average joe can’t feed a family, pay a mortgage and spend crazy money on artisanal made clothes. They’ll last (?) probably more than Zara but the initial outlay is for the financially privileged. Stuff that gets constantly used wears out. A $100 shirt has pretty much the same life as a $15 one if you wear it and wash it often.

That said, I buy “things that last” because I like them but I own so many and wear so little that they would last even if they were put together with tape. Lol :)

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Maybe caused by the real market people who ride bike for main daily transportation is dwindling. So for normal people even when they buy leather jacket it would look new forever doesnt need to buy another one unless they need different size. Relatives i know all have 1 or max 2 leather jackets and that it.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I think the 'fast fashion' market we see today is the biggest problem. Retailers like Zara and H&M introduce a new collection 8 times a year. People are encouraged to buy something new on a very regular basis. Not only to keep up with the latest fashion trends, but also because the quality of the garments is so poor they wear out after just a few months. You can buy a 'leather' mc jacket for just €50, Brand-new and looks great on your instagram account. After 6 months it falls apart and they want / need something new. This is all young people know. They have never had the experience of buying something that lasts. They don't even want something that lasts because they are indoctrinated by the industry and by social media that they must have the newest and the latest fashion.
I don't envy them.

I don't envy them either but they are a different group again.

Curiously most of the under 30's I know shop in thrift shops because the clothing is often more interesting. They couldn't care less for Zara - not even sure if they are in Australia.

The idea of ever changing fashions to get people to keep buying hasn't had a hold on many people I have known since the 1980's.

I really like the idea of going to a camping shop and buying a new duck cotton jacket every 5 years. For the price of one artisan made leather jacket, I can probably have a lifetime of Carhartts and two decades worth of Wrangles.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Curiously most of the under 30's I know shop in thrift shops because the clothing is often more interesting. They couldn't care less for Zara - not even sure if they are in Australia

I see that in Amsterdam too, thrift shops everywhere. I applaud that. Not only is the clothing is more interesting, the practice of buying 'vintage' is also environmentally friendly.

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
I really really like the Schott product. I still have 7 different variants collected (most all lightly used) over the years.
These all cycle thru' the daily wear roster. Some are "car only" and some are dedicated motorcycle jackets.
I wore my Schott "Highwayman" today to drive over to the Harley dealer for service parts on a cool blustery day.

I have sold Schott 689H, 654 black cherry, 641 steerhide, 671 Easy Rider, and a "Brando" 624 NOS from 1983.
All sold to bike riding mates or associates of mates. Some of them PESTERED me to sell a jacket to them.

My "favourite" (don't tell the other jackets !) is my bought new 641HH perhaps 5 years ago
Back then when the Aussie $ was stronger v the $USD and you could make sense of a new purchase out of the US.
(AND ebay did not add 10% Australian GST back then).
This 641HH jacket "fits" me like a bespoke jacket for a fraction of the price, maybe just pure luck there !

I also got the same email as ton312 and was saddened by the news. Tough time for retail for sure.
The chance of me ever being able to enter a Schott retail store is very low , but nice to know they exist !

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I went in the store probably once every six weeks because it was on a block with a lot of good stores. Like Ton said. Pretty much a ghost town. I only bought 1 pair of boots and a sale jacket. The one time i did see A jacket sale the fella fit the average FL age profile. Most of the surrounding neighborhood’s residents are considerably younger. A large portion of their stock was double riders. I don’t see anyone wearing those around here. Here the vast majority of motorcyclists ride harleys and wear harley branded clothing.

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
Harley branded jackets...same here in Australia.
Many years ago they were predominantly US manufactured, today in Australia costing $750+ AUD they are made in China.
That is PRECISELY why I don't wear them but sadly I must be in the minority.

Edward

Bartender

For my money, They've simply priced themselves out of the market. Back when they were half the price of an Aero or similar, I would have considered one (though I have handled many other import jackets that were just as good, tbh, at markedly less again), but nowadays they're charging a premium price (at least here in the UK) for what I consider to be still a mid-market quality product. They'rte not bad by any means, just vastly more expensive than I'd be prepared to pay. I'm guessing enough people disagree to keep them in business. ;)

The problem with fashion, though, is thatit keeps changing, ever-faster. A company wihch puts all its eggs in the fashion basket either needs to move and change with fashion, or accept that it won't last long.

I can't see them stepping back from being a fashion retailer in the mainstream to a niche product now. Shame, but they're staying where the money is clearly.

Yes I see your point but I don’t think it’s just that simple. The average joe can’t feed a family, pay a mortgage and spend crazy money on artisanal made clothes. They’ll last (?) probably more than Zara but the initial outlay is for the financially privileged. Stuff that gets constantly used wears out. A $100 shirt has pretty much the same life as a $15 one if you wear it and wash it often.

It's the Captain Vimes boots-based theory of economics all over again.

Maybe caused by the real market people who ride bike for main daily transportation is dwindling. So for normal people even when they buy leather jacket it would look new forever doesnt need to buy another one unless they need different size. Relatives i know all have 1 or max 2 leather jackets and that it.

Those of us who collect leather jackets are certainly in a tiny minority. I'm not sure that anyone really buys a Schott to wear as a serious motorcycle jacket now? I don't recall ever seeing anyonme on a bike wear one here in the UK in at least the last thirty years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy