Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scotland!

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
missmelly said:
Fun!
My husband and I will be in Scotland (Edinburgh) in March. We'll be in Italy & Ireland before that - Ireland for St Patrick's Day!!:)
I cannot wait. This will be our first visit to Scotland.
.:Miss Melly:.

Edinburgh_Castle_filtered.jpg

Caledonia

Practically Family
At risk of abject humiliation under a tirade of abuse by all other Loungers of the Scottish persuasion 'cos I got it wrong.....

It's a braw bricht moonlicht nicht, the nicht.

Aye, and it's the rain the wets ye.

:D

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
Caledonia said:
At risk of abject humiliation under a tirade of abuse by all other Loungers of the Scottish persuasion 'cos I got it wrong.....

Are we gonna get a translation for we Angles and Saxons?

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
An lang may yer lumb reek...

Alan
Caledonia said:

Edward

Bartender
Rufus said:
I live in Bethnal Green.... No one speaks that clearly in the sound of Bow Bells these days.. D'ya know whut I mean,yeah?

I'm convinced they're speaking in "text" half the time.... For our US reades, "text" is a warped form of an English dialect used by children and other illiterates when sending sms messages via mobile telephones. A mutated form of ebonics, if you will.

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
One my very good friend is from Scotland, her name is Lisa (I met her in New Zealand... So funny!!!). I have to say that I'm totally in love with the scottish accent!! But sometimes it's very very hard for me to understand it (I have no problem to understand american, aussie and kiwi accent but scottish ahhh....). I remember an evening where we played "Cranium" with some other friends , we were in a team (with Lisa) and I have to say that we couldn't understand each other.... We won, I don't know how!!! lol!!!!! I'm planning on going to Edimburgh this summer!!!!!! I hope I will be able to make this trip!!! (sorry for the maybe uninteresting post lol lol lol lol lol!!!!)
pennyc

matei

One Too Many
I have to go to Edinburgh quite often for work... It is very geared towards tourism, and quite easy to get around.

It is an interesting place to visit. One of these days I'll get into the tourist thing and see more of the place.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Alan Eardley said:
An lang may yer lumb reek...

Alan

Otherwise put as "long may your chimney smoke", which is a wish for good fortune and contentment provided the chimney doesn't catch fire and the meemaws have to turn out. Rather embarrassing, and the oatcakes end up burnt!

Lola Valentine

One of the Regulars
Caledonia said:

That looks spot on to me! I think a Scottish meet sounds like fun.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Aye, lassie!....

Caledonia said:

I coon't a sayd it betta meself! Thank ya for tha clarifien'! ;)
(I learned everything I know from "Groundskeeper Willie"!)

-dixon cannon

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Great place for getting mugged!

Alan

matei said:
I have to go to Edinburgh quite often for work... It is very geared towards tourism, and quite easy to get around.

It is an interesting place to visit. One of these days I'll get into the tourist thing and see more of the place.

Foofoogal

Banned
Finally got around to some pixs. If too many just remove.

First photo is from Crathes castle in Aberdeen. The last photos are from Edinburgh.
I couldn't believe these diehard Scots were playing golf in ice, not snow but ice. This was taken at a place called Dalmahoy a club.
I couldn't believe the whole fence was these cats. All I thought of was that if this was Houston those babies would of already become scrap metal to somebody. :p

I took 580 photos.

Aberdeen and Edinburgh are very safe. There are parts that are unsafe - University of Aberdeen's main campus is surrounded by them - but they are not very numerous. Generally there's no reason to feel scared about going out after dark. They're no different from any other place with people.

bk

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
The possibility of getting mugged (in Edinburgh or anywhere else) is no reason not to go out at night. It just makes it more exciting when you do so. If you know what you are doing being on a city street at night is much, much safer than driving on a freeway.

We need to claim back the streets from the petty criminals who ply their sad trade there. Don't give them up.

Alan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80