Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seattle roll call

Barbigirl

Practically Family
reetpleat said:
Don't forget "just because I am paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me."

Not sure if we are supposed to be checking in or not. But "HERE!"

When are we going to have another get together. NOt to put all the onus on you. I suppose it is as simple as saying

"Lets have another get together. How When is good for everyone?"

Your call, I am looking pretty booked until after Turkey Day. The first week of December?

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
It's an old Strategic Air Command term--if a heavy-bird broke, the pilot and nav had to load all the maps, charts, nuclear codes and other "classified materials" into a huge, heavy duffel-bag and drag it between 'em (yes, it was THAT heavy!) over to the spare plane.

History lesson concluded, I'm usually traveling not quite that heavy, dragging a large laptop-case. (Like I said, I don't drive, so everything I need for a given day has to go out the door with me when I leave and stay with me for the duration.)
It may have that connotation as well, but it's a term used throughout the Air Force every time anyone deploys anywhere. We deploy with four big bags (five if you are aircrew), including the A, B, C, and D bags, which must be packed and ready to go at all times. The A Bag is tactical gear, e.g. flak jacket, helmet, web belt, canteens, first aid kit, etc. The B Bag is a cold weather kit, and includes a sleeping bag, parka, etc. The C Bag is the CBRNE kit (Chemical, Biological, Radiological/Nuclear, and Explosive) and has the gas mask, chemical resistant suit, spare filters, etc. The D Bag is the aircrew chemical protective kit. You also have your P Bag, which is all your personal gear, like spare skivvies, uniforms, etc. Finally, you have your carry-on pack, which is everything you don't want to be without while flying from point A to point B in a military aircraft, like earplugs, a poncho liner, snacks, etc.

You can why they call it a bag drag! The formal bag drag occurs when the unit or large portions thereof deploy together, and all go through a processing line to check the contents of those bags and load them on the aircraft. Here's a visual:

http://www.mountainhome.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/070621-F-1142C-017.jpg

http://www.mountainhome.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/070621-F-1142C-029.jpg

The informal bag drag is any time someone deploys individually, and have to lug all those bags around with them. It's also not restricted to the Air Force, since I heard it while in the Marine Corps first.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I've always had the impression that everyone in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, British Columbia, and Alaska were some day, when the rest of the world wasn't looking, form their own separate country. The thing you all have to decide is where the center of vintage-ness will be in that new country. You have at lest 2 good candidates, and I'm sure Vancouver BC would be a grand candidate as well. Any of you PNW'ers care to get the ball rolling?You've got a lot to work with, there!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
Jack, TYVM for the backup. I was introduced to it in Cold War context by an old bird-colonel BUFFdriver who reviewed something I had written for one of my classes on the future of his former birds. (Reviewed favorably, I might add...:D)
No sweat, DB! Actually, re-reading that, it was a really lengthy post for something I probably could have said in about 10 words! lol Got a little carried away!

Speaking of Cold War colonels, I recently interviewed a retired Air Force LtCol, who servedfrom 1942 until 1968. As a corporal he literally ran into Patton at Camp Young in the DTC, worked directly for Gen LeMay at SAC HQ, and as an intel officer at the Pentagon briefed President Kennedy during the Cuban Missile Crisis. An amazing man, an amazing life, and an amazing memory!

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
dhermann1 said:
I've always had the impression that everyone in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, British Columbia, and Alaska were some day, when the rest of the world wasn't looking, form their own separate country. The thing you all have to decide is where the center of vintage-ness will be in that new country. You have at lest 2 good candidates, and I'm sure Vancouver BC would be a grand candidate as well. Any of you PNW'ers care to get the ball rolling?You've got a lot to work with, there!

I believe Fremont already has seceded from the rest of the civilized world, if not galaxy...they do claim to be the exact center of the known universe and they have one of the statues of Lenin that got torn down in Russia years ago...and they do have the Troll as well... and yes, that IS a real VW in it's paw.

CoffeeDude

One of the Regulars
dhermann1 said:
I would humbly accept being appointed ruler of this new country ... as long as it pays well. ;) Any night besides Saturdays in Dec. work for me. I can't believe I have to go to the Nutcracker in Portland on 12/15. :(

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Bump and welcome

Barbigirl
Mike in Seattle
Reetpleet
LordJohnRoxton
Babydoll
Ferryengr
Tonyb
Lonn
Chan Fan
DrMags
Twobarbreak
Diamondback
Equador Jim
52Styleline
Coffee Dude
TMS
Tandmark

We are really growing here folks

dnjan

One Too Many
A little late in checking in, but please include me in the count.

I'm close to the U-district -if you see a black leather trilby during most of the fall-winter-early spring, that is probably me. (especially if on the route 65 bus)

Barbigirl

Practically Family
T

Barbigirl
Mike in Seattle
Reetpleet
LordJohnRoxton
Babydoll
Ferryengr
Tonyb
Lonn
Chan Fan
DrMags
Twobarbreak
Diamondback
Equador Jim
52Styleline
Coffee Dude
TMS
Tandmark
dnjan

Hmmm...26% of our Seattle people have names who start with T

Barbigirl

Practically Family
BUMP- I spy with my own little eye

Barbigirl said:
Barbigirl
Mike in Seattle
Reetpleet
LordJohnRoxton
Babydoll
Ferryengr
Tonyb
Lonn
Chan Fan
DrMags
Twobarbreak
Diamondback
Equador Jim
52Styleline
Coffee Dude
TMS
Tandmark
dnjan

Day Late from Bremerton

Barbigirl

Practically Family
OldSkoolFrat said:
48 degrees, light rain and gray skies all day here in Atlanta. Can I be an honorary Citizen of Seattle?

I swill coffee too if that helps any

But do you hug trees? I don't, so I'm just asking.

Certainly, you can be honorary ;)

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Bump

Just checking for Pacific Northwest newbies....

Barbigirl
Mike in Seattle
Reetpleet
LordJohnRoxton
Babydoll
Ferryengr
Tonyb
Lonn
Chan Fan
DrMags
Twobarbreak
Diamondback
Equador Jim
52Styleline
Coffee Dude
TMS
Tandmark
dnjan
Day_late

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
Diamondback said:
Somewhat logistically impaired as a nondriver out in the "outlying areas", but present in spirit...

If y'all can throw something together on some Friday evening near Southcenter, I might be able to make it. Bear in mind, I'll be doing a "bag drag" too...

HA! If you can make it to Southcenter, you are a trip to the Airport and the Social Disease Express (174) to anywhere.

Diamond Back = Black Diamond?

No, Miss C., my handle... well, Google "Crotalus atrox".

Actually, I'm way out in the South Sound and have a long bus-ride before I even get to Federal Way to connect with 174 (which I usually catch when I need to drop in on my mother at the office as it happens, never without "protective measures" in case someone decides to try something unbelievably stupid...) or a Southcenter connection. We're talking three hours or so one-way... and my southern connections cut off about 9PM.

Beyond that, I'll say nothing about my location except my usual cryptic note that you've seen a few of my shooting-range buddies in uniform on COPS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran