Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seeking 30-40's decor suggestions

Ryan

Familiar Face
If you had a spare room that was empty and wanted to dress it up in 30-40's decor, what would you do?
I have an empty spare room that is 10x13 and decided to put down some flooring to practice my swing dancing. For the rest of it, not sure what I want. Do I want an old dance hall look, music room like in one of those historic mansions, paint color, wall treatment (i.e wainscoting), heavy curtains, molding or soffit lighting.
Seeking what others would do, suggestions where to look for inspiration or ideas/details I should include?

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Alas, I haven't got my scanner hooked up or even in my apartment, but if I found myself with a spare room to decorate, I'd try to recreate one of the 1930s wetbars you see in the book Popular Art Deco. Seems like it would be the perfect compliment to a dance floor and great for entertaining. If you're handy, I'll bet you could knock something like that together just from photographs. If not, there's got to be a vintage how-to magazine out there on eBay that could teach you.

-Dave

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Deco EBAY

David,

Borders or Barnes & Noble often have Art Deco art/furniture books for cheap, showing Deco furniture & accesories in period surroundings.

Surf Ebay, Deco bars can be had for $300.00-$400.00 range + you will see hundreds of of original & repro accessories. IMO start slow, buying only those pieces that have "the look" your seeking. Keep us posted on your progress!!!

Solid Citizen ;)

Snookie

Practically Family
I love the Deco Bar idea, if you're the type to invite folks over. I'd stick with smaller furniture that could be configured in various ways, to keep the room versatile. (How much fun would it be to rent a projector and host movie night sometime, too?!)

It sounds like you might be considering laying different types of flooring on different sides of the room? This I would avoid -- that always makes rooms disjointed and would cut down on the possibilities of a using it for various purposes. In our living room we have hardwood throughout, and use a rug under the furnishings. More period correct, and very versatile -- unlike you, our living room IS the dance practice room!

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would assume if you're using it to practice swing dancing, you need the majority of the room left open so you have room to move. Do you need the room for other purposes - i.e., home office or guest room? If you also need it to double as a guest room - will one or two guests use the room? Are you going to need a double bed or can you get away with a daybed or two?

You know what your requirements and limitations are. Whether you rent or own may impose limits. Budget and personal taste definitely will as well.

Ultimately, what someone else may suggest you use the room for or say what they'd use the room for is pretty meaningless. It's what they want or need a spare room to function as, not what you need or want the room to function as.

Ryan

Familiar Face
It's an empty room, only for swing dancing. Requirement is wood floor, good music and 6x6 space to work on my Bal.
Thanks for those who offered suggestions. I've looked online for decor ideas and found nothing, so off to Barnes Nobles for books to see if they can get me going.
I plan to rip out the carpet and lay wood flooring (since I own the place). Beyond that, I'm not sure. Maybe I'll pick the wall color first and add from there. I like the deco bar idea, I hadnt thought of that.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
I'd put a sofa banquette around part of the room & use little tables in front, and on the other side I'd put a bar area. You'd have plenty of seating, but it would keep the middle of the room free. You could make your own sofas with boards, foam(or maybe even crib mattresses), and cushions, and look around at fabric stores for 1940s-inspired prints.

organic-banquette-an.jpg

bat-moscow02.jpg

EnvironmentsBanquette.jpg

Coleman%20banquette.jpg

Snookie

Practically Family
You know, a mirrored wall would look like a DANCE STUDIO in nearly every type of decor except a Deco lounge. One more reason to do the Deco bar.

Chas

One Too Many
I guess you have a decision to make. Art Deco was a varied and multi-faceted art movement. Do you want machine age? Orientalist? You need to decide what you are going to do with the space before you can really act. There are some copies of Architectural digest you might find helpful. It's time to hit the used book stores!!

Check out anything by Donald Deskey. He was a leading designer of both home and office furniture. Pretty awesome stuff.

http://www.moderneage.com/furniture.html

There is also, of course. Bauhaus. There are tons of Bauhaus rip-offs floating about as "contemporary" furniture designs. With enough looking around, it can be done for reasonable $$.

PM me your email address; I can shoot you some scans of art deco interiors.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I think I'd glam it up a little, kind of deco/Hollywood regency.

The links here are all new stuff because that's what I could find good pics of, but it gives you a feel for the idea.

Gorgeous deco-style wallpaper I like this because its bold in style, not in searing color, so you can still have a lot of options for furniture.

Upholstered chairs are one option and Leather club chairs is another. You only really need two in a cozy corner to make a statement, leaves the floor open for dancing.

I would look for a beveled mirror for one wall, but I wouldn't mirror the whole wall, if I was doing it for myself, because I like a little more clubbish and less studio, but that's me.

And a nice set of Deco sconces like that or like this flanking that mirror? You know that's hot. And that's assuming you don't have hiiigh ceilings for a chandelier (I know I don't, if you do, don't tell me, I get jealous! :p )

At least, this is what I'd look at doing. I wouldn't try to buy everything new, though.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
You'll need a big fan, maybe one like this. A ceiling fan just doesn't keep me cool when I'm practicing.

A bar sounds like fun, but I'd rather have a barre.

Put a dimmer switch on the light if you're going to have people over for dancing.

You might pick up an armoire on the cheap to put your music players in. I find it's nice to be able to close it up when I'm not using it; it keeps the dust off and makes the room look neater and more vintage than having a bunch of electronic equipment visible.

If you're really serious, you'll need a TV and a DVD player so you can watch instructional DVDs and look at recordings of yourself dancing.

As for furniture, I'd get something that can be easily cleaned when you sit on it after you get sweaty. A small table is good for putting your dance notebook on.

As for wall color, an interior decorator recently gave me some good advice. Get a paint sample (not a chip) and a large piece of white cardboard. These are sold at better paint stores. Paint the cardboard and hold it up against the walls of your studio. (That little piece of advice kept me from making some bad mistakes.)

Good luck! Post pix!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy