Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Self confessed hat addict checking in

Fedoration

New in Town
Hello and greetings to all. I thought it polite to introduce myself ( I have rarely seen such a well-behaved forum by the way, hats off for that). I am a law student nearing graduation a rather fond longboard skateboarding. So that's quite the two worlds apart really. One day I will be wearing a suit and the next day it'll just be jeans and a t-shirt. But one thing always comes along and that is the hat.
I have a rather diverse taste in hats, with a suit something a bit more traditional will do the trick and when skating anything goes really. I stumbled across this forum when searching for hats online and immediately liked the atmosphere and immense selection of expertise that is gathered here.
I am looking forward to learning the tricks of the trade when it comes to style.

Cheers all.

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Welcome to the lounge Fedoration! I can imagine a longboarder wearing pendletons, jeans, sneakers and a fur-felt stingy fedora, not the trendy, cotton ones mind you ;)

Have fun and be warned, you can check in but you can never leave!!:D

buler

I'll Lock Up
Fedoration, welcome to the lounge! Seems you already have a good feel for the place. You won't find a better group of people. I'm also a fellow skateboarder (been skating since mid 70's...).

B

Corky

Practically Family
When on a skateboard, you should be wearing a helmet, not a hat...

When on a skateboard, you should be wearing a helmet, not a hat.

Pro-Tec-The-Classic-Helmet.jpg

http://skateboard.about.com/od/protectivegear/tp/Best_Skateboard_Helmets.htm

That being said, you should be aware that in the world of law, the same as anywhere else, clothing (including headgear and shoes) is a language which expresses a great deal about the mental state of the person wearing it.

I recently spent some time in Washington D.C. with a top flight lawyer and the way he dressed said a great deal about him. His black Alden shoes, black Brooks Brothers pinstriped suit, black wool and cashnere overcoat, immaculate white shirt with subtle monogram on cuff, black, white and silver silk rep tie comunicates to the world that he is a serious person, and someone to be reckoned with in the courtroom. His lawyer outfit is as formidable and convincing statement of who he is as a Cardinal's robes or a General's uniform would be.

I have known this person all his life and know him to be an easy-going fellow with a great sense of humor and calm demeanor. But if I had to go up against him in court, the way he presents himself in the language of clothing would be nothing short of intimidating.

I am sure he was at one point of his life an expert skateboarder, but his business clothes betray none of this. And if he still has a skateboard, he leaves it at home and drives to work in his Lexus.

And sorry if I offend you, but if I was looking for a lawyer on some important piece of business and a prospective lawyer showed up on a skateboard, I would pass over him immediately and keep looking.

The most important trick of the trade is to learn about society's perceptions and learn to use them to your advantage.

Best of luck...

High Pockets

Practically Family
:) Welcome!

As you probably noticed, this is without a doubt, the nicest place to be on the internet.
An enormous library of information, and a nice little “time-capsule” if you will, inhabited by a really nice group of people that enjoy complimenting and encouraging each other.

Settle in, enjoy, and get ready to buy more hats than you ever thought you'd have a use for.

Musashi

One of the Regulars
This place will do nothing to curb your hat addiction. :)

I arrived with one, have 3 now, and "need" a couple more...

Welcome!

Fedoration

New in Town
Corky said:
And sorry if I offend you, but if I was looking for a lawyer on some important piece of business and a prospective lawyer showed up on a skateboard, I would pass over him immediately and keep looking.
No offense taken. I wouldn't exactly chose a lawyer pulling up on a skateboard myself. However as stated I am still merely a student and what I wear differs per day. I presumed (just goes to show how dangerous presumptions are) it would be obvious that what I wear is determined by what I have to do that day. I do not go around practicing law wearing jeans and a t-shirt. Nor do I skate in suits.
As far as the helmets are concerned, I am a longboarder not a skateboarder. Longboard cruising in itself is barely more dangerous than walking.

For those who care to know my business ensemble consists of grey, navy blue and black suits all in solid colours. Black or brown shoes depending on the suit. A red tie on white shirt with italian style collar and a double Winchester knot (I am 6.2 so I can handle a large knot). I usually wear a black belt with brushed steel clasp and steel cufflinks and watch to match.
Now this may vary vastly from what some of you are used to when thinking of a lawyer but remember that fashion rules are slightly different here.

Oh, and I wouldn't dare to forget to thank everyone for the nice compliments. Now I must be going to find some hat...

jwalls

Vendor
Welcome

By joining the Lounge you will acquire a world of friends. Please enjoy a great group of folks, with varied opinions on many topics.:) :)

Was a long hill cruiser back in the day = none of the dry pool/half-pipe stuff. I started at the top of a very long hill one day & came to the next day with a concussion. 4 days later due to pain trying to do push-ups, I went to the ER to find out I had a "green stick" fracture of my right arm. The dull ache was masked by severe headaches from post-concussion syndrome.
30 years later, my right wrist gave me trouble & CT scan revealed I had also broken a bone there as well but 1976 x-rays couldn't show it. Had to have my wrist reconstructed removing the entire proximal row of wrist bones.
Wear a helmet, knee, wrist & elbow pads! It doesn't take much for a "skateboard fracture" of the wrist!!!!
I had & have a Jofa ice hockey helmet for skateboards & mountain biking.
A mind is terrible thing to waste, they say.... :)

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Fedoration said:
No offense taken. I wouldn't exactly chose a lawyer pulling up on a skateboard myself. However as stated I am still merely a student and what I wear differs per day. I presumed (just goes to show how dangerous presumptions are) it would be obvious that what I wear is determined by what I have to do that day. I do not go around practicing law wearing jeans and a t-shirt. Nor do I skate in suits.
As far as the helmets are concerned, I am a longboarder not a skateboarder. Longboard cruising in itself is barely more dangerous than walking.

For those who care to know my business ensemble consists of grey, navy blue and black suits all in solid colours. Black or brown shoes depending on the suit. A red tie on white shirt with italian style collar and a double Winchester knot (I am 6.2 so I can handle a large knot). I usually wear a black belt with brushed steel clasp and steel cufflinks and watch to match.
Now this may vary vastly from what some of you are used to when thinking of a lawyer but remember that fashion rules are slightly different here.

Oh, and I wouldn't dare to forget to thank everyone for the nice compliments. Now I must be going to find some hat...
I would personally suggest a grey hat (of any shade depending on what your preference is). Grey goes with those three suit colours. As for being taken seriously in a hat, you have to remember that it will only be worn outside, not in the courtroom or the office so I don't think your seriousness will be compromised.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I too used to skateboard quite a lot when I was younger. I had a hardwood board for tricks and a longer Fibreflex for slalom and big hills. We'd skate pools too. Those were great times indeed. Welcome to the Lounge. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats