Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Selvedge denim: what are your recommendations?

reeks1

One of the Regulars
Always looking for a great pair of jeans, and I like to break them in myself, so I usually go the"raw" route.

There are SO many brands out there claiming to offer selvedge denim, and I figured you gents would know some more esoteric/authentic brands. Oh, and I'm not willing to drop more than $200.00 or so, and even that is crazy for jeans imo.

I've been going to the APC New Standard for some time and find that they break in beautifully after a year plus. I have a pair from Rising Sun out of LA, but the denim isn't as heavy as the APC.

People seem to swear by RRL raw, but I've yet to try them.

I'd love to get a pair from good ol' Levi's, but I can't seem to find anything truly raw from them.
So, your thoughts?
Thanks!

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
LVC levis vintage brand for raw jeans.
You could always get Pointer Brand jeans Raw with out the price.
pointer brand/raw-denim-american-original-blue-jean
c-product1.jpg

reeks1

One of the Regulars
Ed,
Where can I find the Levis Vintage? I know they have a website, but you can't order from it.
Thanks.

reeks1

One of the Regulars
Baron,
I like to mix it up, is all.

Plus, the APC is slightly too much on the trim side. The low rise is annoying because my shirts won't stay tucked in.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Reeks,

There is a bunch of online retailers who carry LVC, to name just a few...
Unionmade,
Mr. Porter,
Needsupply,
Park and Bond,
Hickorees,
AeroLeathers
Ebay

also, check out Sugar Cane Denim, 1947 jeans, tops on my list

Edward

Bartender
I've never been able to justify the big buck in jeans, but there are a couple I like. I've been very happy with my Freddies of Pinewood 40s jeans, though they're pre-shrunk, not raw. I also recently picked up some of these: http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/us-navy-1940s-deck-jeans-product,14013 I'm not sure whether they're preshrunk (not washed mine yet), but I suspect not. I picked up a 40" waist pair which measure out at 42" waist. Plenty long in the leg for a good cuff, nice and wide.

Baggy with high rise, try the Levis Vintage Clothing 201s (1922?), or the 1901 model. Suspenders required for these two. i'd advise buying a couple size too big for that gold miner or depression era look. For belt wearin' try Edwin 505s, if you're lucky with the year of manufacture the cut will be baggy. if not, it won't. For some reason they seem to vary quite a bit.

I have no experience wearing them, but I've looked at a bunch of Lee repros, too, and some models seem quite high rise and baggy.

Baron,

Plus, the APC is slightly too much on the trim side. The low rise is annoying because my shirts won't stay tucked in.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think in terms of max bang to buck, Gustin's dry denim is great. Got a pair of their green wefts and they're currently my reach-for jeans - working out your sizing is the tricky bit, but worth the effort.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Baron,

Most of the Raw demim makers do slim cut. Which is not what I can wear I spent to many years in the Bike Racing and my legs are too big. Loose fit works for me.

Pat Spade

Familiar Face
Hi, my first post here...
Here`s a good alternative to Freddies I think:
http://www.paradirama.com/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=7223625

ok, they are rigid, not raw...but in terms of fading they just behave like those LVC`s,and they are really high waisted and wide legged at a very reasonable price. I own a pair and really like them...for me, they provide a better fit than LVC`s 201... I`ll might post a pic, as soon I`ve learned how to...:D

scrawlysteve

One of the Regulars
Freddie's no longer feature the 1940's cinch back on their website. Still have the slimmer fit though and they are not too skinny....

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
People seem to swear by RRL raw, but I've yet to try them.

I'd love to get a pair from good ol' Levi's, but I can't seem to find anything truly raw from them.
So, your thoughts?
Thanks!

RRL very occasionally have sales so you can get them in your price point - they retail for $250, I believe. I own a couple pair of RRL's but they all fit a little slim.

You can also try unbranded - http://theunbrandedbrand.com/ Their marketing/price point is to give a quality selvedge denim at low cost without having to pay for marketing or name-brand.

Naked & Famous is a very good brand that hits your price point. They're available at Nordstrom's and they have two men's sales a year. They'd be very reasonable if they go on sale.

LVC can be found occasionally on flash sale sites in your price point. The raw/unsanforized denim from them is expensive. I think comparable raw denim can be had from Gustin, Naked & Famous, or Unbranded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner