Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Selvedge denim: what are your recommendations?

scrawlysteve

One of the Regulars
Resortes and FFF--- that's too bad that you missed them as they were being knocked out at £35 (about $50 -ish)
because they were "seconds" and apparently had some "wrinkles/creases" in them. I spoke to Mrs Freddie and she was amazingly helpful and actually sorted me a pair with virtually no apparent faults--in fact now I've had them a few months there is absolutely no noticeable issue at all. I love these jeans. I wonder if Freddie's may still have a few pairs kicking around ? ---could be worth an email.....good luck.

scrawlysteve

One of the Regulars
Yes Mr B. , these ( the us-navy) are the jeans Edward recommended earlier in this thread. They seem a good deal. As far as the 1940s Freddies go --I have 2 pairs--one I bought from their site and one I found in a charity shop several weeks later at a fiver. They are both 36" waist but the charity shop jeans (obv. a year or two older ) are a considerably wider cut than the ones I got recently from their site. If yours are also a few years old they may be wider than the later stock... which may, of course, now be out of stock.....

Were your US-Navy jeans true to size or did they come up a bit over/under on the waist ?

Last edited:

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Yes Mr B. , these ( the us-navy) are the jeans Edward recommended earlier in this thread. They seem a good deal. As far as the 1940s Freddies go --I have 2 pairs--one I bought from their site and one I found in a charity shop several weeks later at a fiver. They are both 36" waist but the charity shop jeans (obv. a year or two older ) are a considerably wider cut than the ones I got recently from their site. If yours are also a few years old they may be wider than the later stock... which may, of course, now be out of stock.....

Were your US-Navy jeans true to size or did they come up a bit over/under on the waist ?

That amiss of me not to credit Edward (sorry chum!), that's what you get for trying to get involved in an FL discourse while cooking the dinner! My Freddies are hella wide – in fact, someone said to me this morning, "Look at them, you could make two pairs outta that denim!" The US Navy jeans came up reasonably true to size – probably 1.5" over a true 38", which would allow for shrinkage – but they're in no way as baffling, size-wise, as either the average LVCs (they tend to be under stated waist size if anything other than totally dry) nor Edwin, Wrangler Blue Bell or Lee 101s, which can be up to four inches bigger than marked!

scrawlysteve

One of the Regulars
That amiss of me not to credit Edward (sorry chum!), that's what you get for trying to get involved in an FL discourse while cooking the dinner! My Freddies are hella wide – in fact, someone said to me this morning, "Look at them, you could make two pairs outta that denim!" The US Navy jeans came up reasonably true to size – probably 1.5" over a true 38", which would allow for shrinkage – but they're in no way as baffling, size-wise, as either the average LVCs (they tend to be under stated waist size if anything other than totally dry) nor Edwin, Wrangler Blue Bell or Lee 101s, which can be up to four inches bigger than marked!

Thanks for that--I think I may try a pair.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
My favs are in the 14-15oz realm. I also prefer good and slubby. Momotaro gets my vote, though if you can't handle the pink selvage I'd opt for some Flatheads. Having said that there are some real bargains out there for startup companies like Gustin and Dyer & Jenkins.

The pair that I wear the most tho are 3Sixteen SL 100x. Similar cut to APC New Standards but far better quality

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner