Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Senator Jack Urges War on Lethargy: Crackpot Politician Explains "Why it matters"

Friends have long given up on asking me why I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m always dressed. Too many times they have heard my stock answer of ?¢‚ǨÀúBecause I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m a gentleman and I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m out.?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ But they still do admonish me for letting the public?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s lethargy bother me so much. Why, for instance, do I have to sneer at and then comment on every sandal-shod man that passes me on the street? And why must I do the same of every woman who insists on wearing an exposing mid-riff top despite her struggle to lug about a mid-riff that is gelatinously too large by half? ?¢‚ǨÀúLive and let live?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ they tell me, ?¢‚ǨÀúNo one?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s telling you what to wear, so what right do you have to tell them??¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢

All right, I don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t have a right, but by the same token the public should not have the right to subject me to its collection of anatomical misfortunes. And though it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s unfortunate that the politicians will never put forth any laws limiting the display of these public eyesores (Apart from the beach, I believe men, like women, should not be allowed to be publicly shirtless) I do wish the private sector would at least reinstate some of those outmoded dress codes. After all, it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s bad enough that at cafes I have to watch hipster guy wiggling his bulbous hairy foot about his sandal while he?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s sipping his Pabst Blue Ribbon, but now he's dressing this way to come to the finer restaurants and even the theater. I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m not a man of money, and as such, when I take my girl out for night, it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s always an event. I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll let the lethargic have free reign over the burger joints and clam shacks, but if I go to a restaurant that?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s going to be taking a minimum of $100 from me, then I expect I shouldn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t have to sit across from anyone in a ripped up Iron Maiden t-shirt with his belly sticking out. The same goes for the theater. It?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s well known that people used to dress to go even to the local bijou - and again I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll let the lethargic have the run of the modern Cineplex - but Broadway is just too expensive to have my night ruined by an endless parade of K-Mart knit-topped tourists with junior in his gangsta pants and underwear showing. I know, ?¢‚ǨÀúWho cares after the lights go down??¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ Right? Well, I like to think there are still a few places that one can recapture the era of elegance and Broadway should remain one of them.

The point is I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m no longer holding my tongue when I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m subjected to this and I suggest everyone else begin to do the same. Let restaurant managers know you think they should institute a dress code, and if a jacket is not required of men, then how about at least a decent pair of shoes and a shirt that doesn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t have some sort of corporate logo or prurient witticism across it? (Will these people ever realize they?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢re really never that witty?) And don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t be afraid to ask for a change of tables when the couple next are offensive. Don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t think they?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll be offended by your getting up and moving, for they were the ones who offended you first. Some people don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t want to sit next to smokers, and everyone thinks it a perfectly valid reason to change tables, so should I feel bad about not wanting to sit next to people who are chewing with their mouths open or that are yapping on the cell phone? I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ve even told the management of one major museum they should not allow gum inside as the cracking detracts from the experience and was told I was absolutely right and they were looking to put a ban in place. (I promise more on this masticatory vulgarity in a coming rant)

Certainly this all comes across as pie in the sky. No, the genie will never get back in the bottle, and the golden age will never return, but at least by registering a gentle protest you can give restaurateurs and venue management something to think about.

I await all comments censorious. Till then, I remain?¢‚Ǩ¬¶

Senator Jack

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Dear Senator Jack,
I don't really have any censorious comments, although I'm afraid that you are "tilting at windmills" a bit. I agree with you on most points but there isn't much that we can do to win this 'war on lethargy'.

The minority (those of us at FL?) aren't going to change the dress habits of the general public. The best you can do is to set yourself apart by virtue of your manners and proper dress in public.

I work in an industry that puts me in contact with the public on a daily basis. I encounter people from all parts of the US and abroad, people from every economic level and race,etc. Seldom do I see what I would consider a form of dress that would indicate any consideration beyond: It's comfortable. that's all that matters. period.
I'm not going to publicly critisize these people. Nowadays you might just be getting yourself into a whole world of troubles. I let them be. Their slovenly dress and lack of manners just make me look better in comparison.

So, that's my 2 cents worth. Welcome to the Lounge Senator! Regards, Sefton.

(please forgive any spelling errors :) )

Your terse and direct approach, Biltmore, puts me in the mind of Jim Thompson - create a character in ten words or less.

On the chewing thing: ever since I was a kid for some reason the sound of gum cracking has annoyed the hell out of me - like fingers on a blackboard. The actual chewing doesn't annoy me (unless it's with an open mouth and I'm trying to eat) it's that damned cracking. And Good Lord they crack everywhere here in Gotham City. In line at the supermarket, at the bank, on the subway, and I've even heard it at funerals. It never ends. I'd prefer a city of tobacco chewers over that racket any day.

And yes, I am a bit quixotic, Sefton, but all I'm looking to do now is stem the tide of unnacceptable appearance and behavior where my money is as good as anyone else's. Years ago you used to be able to sit at hotel bars and have a cocktail where people were at least presentable. I'm talking about places like the Royalton and the Algonquin. Now, not only have they lost all their historic charm, you can't get decent cocktails any more. Perhaps the laziness of the crowd allowed the bar to get lazy with their drinks. If someone doesn't care enough about his date to at least get out of sandals, then why should he care about a well-made Sidecar?

I used to love being a New Yorker because I grew up in a city that was still linked with it's bustling, gritty, glamourous past. Christ, Huntz Hall lived a few blocks from us (You remember the Bowery Boys?) and you can't get more New York than that. But within twenty years that city was demolished. Mayor Giuliani knocked down whatever he could and sold the lots to Donald Trump. And now New York has the landscape of anywhere else: K-Marts, Starbucks, theme restaurant ad nauseum, and with this new, user-friendly city, it's brought an influx of immigrants, both from the States and abroad, that simply don't care about the city that it used to be. All of my nooks are either disappearing or being invaded by people that want to make it ugly. Ah, where to go?

Kind regards,

Senator Jack

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Senator Jack said:
Years ago you used to be able to sit at hotel bars and have a cocktail where people were at least presentable.

I quite agree with you on this. A dress code need not be so formal as to require a tie and jacket(unless it's a very expensive/fancy restaurant).

I would gladly patronize an establishment that simply asked that you not wear sandals, ball-caps, or shorts. It would be nice to have a meal without having to look at some guys hairy legs and bare feet. bleechh...

Senator Jack said:
Christ, Huntz Hall lived a few blocks from us (You remember the Bowery Boys?) and you can't get more New York than that.

The Bowery Boys were great! You know, even though they were tough street kids they still dressed better than most people now....

I haven't been to New York for many years. It seems that the New York that I love to see in classic movies is gone forever...San Francisco is another great city that's lost much of it's history.... :cry:

I didn't mean to imply that you shouldn't 'tilt at windmills'...keep up the good fight Senator Jack! Cheers, Sefton

Bebop

Practically Family
What you describe, Senator Jack, has seeped into society slowly and deeply. I now see doctors that have piercings, tattoos, no tie. You can hardly tell they are doctors. I want a doctor that looks like a guy that knows alot more than the average "dude" on the street. I don't want a doctor that wants to be a regular guy like me. I want a scientist.

Feraud

Bartender
Senator Jack, geez you New Yorkers sure do complain a lot!

Just kidding. I am from NY too, and Queens to boot! ;)

Well folks, I will give a strong second opinion to Sentor Jack's statments. While Life appears the inevitable 'trend' of downward spiraling fashion and ethics we find ourselves in, my opinion is New York City is intent on taking the lead in this charge!

I can not add too much to Senator Jack's statements regarding the atrocious sense of 'style' most New Yorkers have. I will add something.

Speech. Yes you read right. The glorious "Freedom of Speech" that we all cherish. The only Amendment to the Constitution that these kind of people can recite off the top of their empty heads.

Because we have "freedom of speech" does not mean that I need to hear every inane conversation someone on a public bus or train is having. If everyone can hear you, it is too loud!

And inappropriate? Do I really need to hear some lowlife talking (more like lying) to his friend about how many women ( I use the term lightly) he has been with? Does everyone around (including children) need to hear the graphic details? Do they really think that an adult male over 18 years of age, with his pants hanging down around his rear end is some sort of 'playa'? I think not.

I do not mind the fact that 'things change'. Does it always have to appear that they change for the worse?

Time for me to step off my soapbox. :eek:

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Ain't nuthin' getting better!

Ever, and will continue to get worse...until the end, my friends.

Oh, we can fight it. We can struggle daily against the minions of Bill Blass and Tommy Hilfiger. Sadly at the end of the day, we will find ourselves exhausted. We are overwelmed. The battle, nay, the war is surely lost. There are few of us and scattered.

I have not yet begun to grouse! :)

Public speaking (hollering?) is right up there on my list too, Feraud, and the thing is, it's not just from the lowlifes - it's from supossedly educated people. Wall Streeters, lawyers and the like cursing at restaurants, at the top of their lungs, and I KNOW New York wasn't like this when I was a kid. (I hate to be THAT guy, but in this case, I'm right.) This is one area, though, in which I don't always know how to fight back. On the subway I get up and move when John or Jane Loudmouth is over me, but I feel I always want to say something. See, some people don't realize how rude they are. On the train one morning I found myself under a shower of bread crumbs as the young woman above me yapped to her companion and ate an egg and cheese sandwich. With some histrionics I brushed the crumbs off my pants. She continued to eat. I again swept her crumbs from my pants. She still took no notice. Upon the third occurrence, I got up and said, 'Here, why don't you take my seat so you can enjoy your breakfast?" She was appalled. 'No, no,' she said, 'I'm sorry, I didn't realize,' and put the rest of her sandwich back in the bag. I really believed she didn't realize how rude this was of her. There's a word in Greek, 'anestitos', and it perfectly describes these people. They're anesthitized and they just don't understand that there are people around them. To this day I wonder if she still eats on the train or if she remembers my gentle admonishement, thanking me for setting her straight. Anyway, I'm at the end of my cocktail and I have to fix myself another one. Till then, I remain...

Senator Jack

Senator Jack said:
I used to love being a New Yorker because I grew up in a city that was still linked with it's bustling, gritty, glamourous past. Christ, Huntz Hall lived a few blocks from us (You remember the Bowery Boys?) and you can't get more New York than that. But within twenty years that city was demolished. Mayor Giuliani knocked down whatever he could and sold the lots to Donald Trump. And now New York has the landscape of anywhere else: K-Marts, Starbucks, theme restaurant ad nauseum, and with this new, user-friendly city, it's brought an influx of immigrants, both from the States and abroad, that simply don't care about the city that it used to be. All of my nooks are either disappearing or being invaded by people that want to make it ugly. Ah, where to go?

Don't come here. They did the same thing to my small town over the last thirty years. The local city council is obsessed with low income housing, taxation and bringing in undesirables. I suppose it works for them because they need idiots to vote for them.
I would leave but it involves selling three houses, moving six cars and a few trailer loads of my collections. I just don't have the energy to do all of that but I have enough to fight the morons back. Perhaps if enough fight there will be a return to normalacy. I doubt it but I have a penchant for fighting. :p ;)

Regards to all,

J

I suppose it works for them because they need idiots to vote for them.

Yes, that's how it is. There's a famous case of a NY politician in the 50s that brought in hundreds of thousands of a certain group just to remain in office. It didn't matter that NY was no longer the industrial city it had been and that there was no work for unskilled labor; he just wanted the votes. I write this in no racist context but just as statement of historical fact. Sometimes as much as we love the golden era, we do have to admit that it was the roots of what we've become.

Kind regards,

Senator Jack

Remember, a vote for me is a vote against progress!

Senator Jack said:
Sometimes as much as we love the golden era, we do have to admit that it was the roots of what we've become.
Remember, a vote for me is a vote against progress!

Yep, a lot of the people that came home from the War were a little more lax than their parents because of all the things they had been through. They were a little more indulgent with their kids and it got worse as the generations went on. It took over fifty years to get here and it might take at least that to move in the opposite direction.
The most important thing to remember is that as we raise our children the values, morals and ethics change society one family at a time---one family member at a time. ;)

regards to all,

J

Mycroft

One Too Many
Here in Florida, everyone for the most part is underdressed and wearing their clothes with out decency (I don't mind the girls ;) , but that is another tale), it is because of the BLODDY HEAT and HUMIDY, that is why Floridian and Turists underdress. Me, I over dress by Florida standerds.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I think part of the problem is that we are at a junction point in fashion history. If you look at period films everybody is well-dressed. If you look at futuristic sci-fi films, often everybody is well-dressed as well. Or at least if not well-dressed then at least dressed interestingly.

Today we have the problem not only that standards are low but also that modern style in general is bland and uninteresting. Eventually I hope that we progress towards something better, even if it is not directly related to classic 20th century menswear.

Dismuke

One of the Regulars
Vladimir Berkov said:
Today we have the problem not only that standards are low but also that modern style in general is bland and uninteresting.

Standards are indeed low. But I think that a big part of the problem is the fact that we have still not recovered from the nightmare of the 1960 nihilism.

People sometimes compare the "rebellion" of the 1960s with previous eras - for example the flapper generation of the 1920s. But there was a huge difference in one very fundamental area. Previous generations rebelled against standards that they disagreed with or that they considered to be old fashioned and obsolete. The 1960s hippie crowd were nihilists and, therefore, rebelled against standards, as such. Since then, our pop culture has regarded anyone who has standards and is proud to proclaim them and stand up for them as being, at best "square" and sometimes called a whole lot worse names than that.

If we are to have a better future in fashion and manners, then there once again needs to emerge certain widely shared standards of decorum and there needs to exist a pop culture that will not sneer at them.

jake431

Practically Family
Dismuke said:
Standards are indeed low. But I think that a big part of the problem is the fact that we have still not recovered from the nightmare of the 1960 nihilism.

People sometimes compare the "rebellion" of the 1960s with previous eras - for example the flapper generation of the 1920s. But there was a huge difference in one very fundamental area. Previous generations rebelled against standards that they disagreed with or that they considered to be old fashioned and obsolete.

I hate to tell you this, but you just described the counterculture movement of the 1960's too. Not believing what you believe does not make one a nihilist. Yes there was drugs and sex but there was also the Port Huron Statement.

If memory serves, there was a widespread worry that the flappers were also too loose with sex and booze.

Whatever, I appreciate a chuckle early in the morning. Thanks!

-Jake

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Finesse...

I must report that from my vantage point in Europe, things are no different here-

In my daily doings, I try and 'do' everything with at least a modicum of finesse, maybe even panache. No- actually, I don't try, it's just part of what makes me 'me'. Making a cup of tea, pouring a glass of wine, driving the car- from the mundane to the not-so-mundane, others saround me seem to appreciate it...

But- in my everyday doings and jaunting from A to B, I find that many individuals seem to be a bunch of shambling, bungling/bumbling fools- too busy looking at their footwear's branding to notice the person they just trod on...

I find myself thinking "...please let me out of the store before you push your way in ..." I do get annoyed at the ignorance of others- the mention of people being in encased in a bubble of pure self involvement and ignorance surely rings painfully true and loud.

But- Darwin or no, this way of thinking, of feeling disregarded and put upon will be our demise. We need to push-in or else be pushed out.

But- and I realize I am double butting- to feel this way, to be obsessed with the observation of the ignorance of others, is to diminish our own 'everyday', to diminish OUR respect for others and to lose the joy of living and also deprive those we care for and who care for us of our more important and bigger selves-

:)
B
T

BellyTank said:
But- and I realize I am double butting- to feel this way, to be obsessed with the observation of the ignorance of others, is to diminish our own 'everyday', to diminish OUR respect for others and to lose the joy of living and also deprive those we care for and who care for us of our more important and bigger selves

I don't know about anyone else but my Respect for others is earned. It is not given out like the air we breathe. There are those that are worth of respect and at the other end there are those that are worthy of contempt. It doesn't bother me at all and I still love living---its just the part about living with contemptable people that bothers me. :p

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner