Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Senator Jack Urges War on Lethargy: Crackpot Politician Explains "Why it matters"

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
The everyday JP- not having contempt for someone just because of the way we feel- extending the kind of courtesies we expect from others- that's what I'm saying. I'm with you on the earning respect thing.

But- do you respect an elder just because they're older?

B
T

BellyTank said:
Many older people are as pig ignorant as young people. You're right, age doesn't command respect in and of itself

Ah, I see you have had some of the same experiences as I. My grandfather always used to say "just because someone lived to be old doesn't make them smart it just means they lived to be old. Age does not equal wisdom. I can tell you that from personal experience." :p
My favorite one of his was "Son, let me tell you something. The only good thing about living to be old is that you didn't die young." My uncle used to egg him on about this every birthday he had. He used to ask how does it feel to be 86, 87 or some such thing. That is the answer he would get every time. :p ;) He would be 103 if he were alive today. Definitely from a generation that told it like it was. :cheers1:

Regards to all,

J

Ah, you have politeness confused with respect. I didn't say that being surly is correct. I said respect is earned. You can be polite to someone that you just met but you do not have to respect them. Respect comes with time and experience with the person. In time you may deem that the person is indeed worthy of respect. You might also find that he is worthy of contempt but it will take some time.
Being polite you give them the benefit of the doubt. You can even be polite to someone you are sure is contemptable. That or you can avoid them entirely and not worry about it.
Regarding the Golden Corollary, that has always been what I have done. My disposition mirrors that of the other person. You might teach them something or call attention to their surliness. If it doesn't work then you will be rid of them faster and that is fine too. :p

Regards to all,

J

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Joe,

Some do believe in a sort of evolutionary adaptation, but true evolutionists believe that species are evolving into a higher form of life. That mud, water and light somehow spang into a living being. And that being continued to develop, generation after generation, into a higher form of life. Adaptation is just that, a species adjusts to it's environment, sometimes phyisiolgically, sometimes it just learns a different behavior. Never developing into a higher form of life.

We tend to agree with you about the 'Golden Rule'. We do think that respect, in some cases, does not have to be earned either. One's Father and Mother should be respected because they're one's parents. One could argue, however, that they earned that respect because they're one's parents. Others should be respected until one learns that they are un-respectable, so to speak.

We also feel that we must retain the high ground never lowering our standards by being drawn down to the level of the contemptable. Avoiding the apearance of evil in our daily walk, never knowing who is observing, we must be a living testimony to our standards.

I wanted to use the word 'notwithstanding' but could not find a place for it in the above text.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Biltmore Bob said:
Joe,

Some do believe in a sort of evolutionary adaptation, but true evolutionists believe that species are evolving into a higher form of life. That mud, water and light somehow spang into a living being. And that being continued to develop, generation after generation, into a higher form of life. Adaptation is just that, a species adjusts to it's environment, sometimes phyisiolgically, sometimes it just learns a different behavior. Never developing into a higher form of life.

I don't believe scientists use the term "higher form of life." You have to remember that evolution and adaptation are linked. Evolution is also not directed or goal-oriented. There is no inherent reason why life would continue to advance to "higher" forms as time passes.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Humans are a higher form of life than a protoplasm.

Is that not from whence we came? They may not use the term, but that's exactly what they believe. When they are hit in the face with their own science, like the rules of thermodynamics, they crumble.

More importantly, however, were would one use the word 'notwithstanding'?

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
The fact that a human (or a slug for that matter) is a more complex lifeform than a single-celled organism does not mean it is a "higher" form in anything more than that sense.

There isn't a straight linear relationship of complexity of life and time either. Plus there is the fact that most actual life on the planet right now is what you might call "lower" forms of life. And it is easily concievable that in the future that is the only type of life which might exist on this planet.

Maybe we should just start a new thread for this discussion though, I think we are getting pretty off-topic.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
No...

I really don't want to discuss Evolution vs Creationism. Because that is really what it comes down to. I will say this though, you can think that there no lower or higher forms of life if you want. I prefer to think that the Human is the highest form of life, second ony to the Living God, because I am made in His image. I am higher than the ape, dolphin and whale. I am higher than the lowly slug or paramecium. One has to have more faith in the evolutionary process than faith in God. The End...

I was just trying to draw a parallel by comparing the lack of style, decor and manners to the first law of thermodynamics. Which Joe Casazza was able to understand, no system gets better. Entropy means everything decays. Nothing gets better in the long run. I know there are lots of Science Fiction fans on this board. But the word fiction is there for a reason.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I still don't get it...

What the hell does 'notwithstanding' mean? Is there a regular word you can use instead?

I never said I developed to a higher form of life. I was created a higher form of life. Where are all the developments of the chimp? Their highways, their computers. Colleges, universities. I've never seen a slug with a Phd.

Holy smokes, I step out for a few cocktails and I come back to heady discussion about evolution. It does gladden me, however, to find my initial rant has inspired such discourse.

I'll have to collect my thoughts on this one, when I'm bit less crapulous, but in the meantime, as Devo put it:

I can walk like an ape
I can talk like an ape
I can do what you can do
God made man
But the monkey applied the glue.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Dismuke

One of the Regulars
Vladimir Berkov said:
I don't believe scientists use the term "higher form of life." You have to remember that evolution and adaptation are linked. Evolution is also not directed or goal-oriented. There is no inherent reason why life would continue to advance to "higher" forms as time passes.

Isn't "higher form of life" usually used in reference to the range of of an organism's consciousness?

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

I have a comment on the original theme of this thread before it made de-evolution turn.

I am surprised that some see the people of NYC as dressing poorly. Until recently I lived in California where people dress like they are cleaning out the garage. I am always happy when I walk the streets of Manhatten wearing my trench coat and hat. Every tenth guy I pass is dressed like me. When I wore that in LA, people wondered if I were a flasher. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner