Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Severn Valley Railway 1940s Weekends - June 28, 29, & July 5, 6, 2008

Two Gun Bob

One of the Regulars
June 28, 29, & July 5, 6, 2008 see the annual 1940's Weekends on the Severn Valley Railway, the UK's finest and biggest preserved steam railway (railroad to my US friends!).

On these weekends the whole of the line and all its stations are turned back in time to take a nostalgic look at Britain - and small parts of the Europe - during World War II with period vehicles, costumes and re-enactments including British, American and German troops and British and other nations civilians.

What better opportunity for members of the Fedora Lounge to flash those fedoras - and your chance to dress to kill in a real time-travel setting, ladies! In fact if anyone's interested in meeting up at this event I'd be delighted to hear from you!

Highlights in past years included costumed re-enactors and Joe Public, military vehicles, battle re-enactment, Home Guard, spivs and civilians, evacuees and wartime weddings as well as big band music! A few of my photos are below to show you some of the fun and frolics :eusa_clap

The Engine House, the new Visitor & Education Centre at Highley, will play host to some additional themed activities (additional admission charge applies).

Fares to be announced - check with the SVR: http://www.svr.co.uk

I am not associated with the SVR or the organisers of this event but have enjoyed attending many times in the past, so this is simply a public service announcement from a satisfied customer :D

ChurchillHG.jpg

46443B.jpg

Austin.jpg

BrenMen.jpg

Comrades.jpg

HappyCouple.jpg

Go.jpg

TheKiss.jpg

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
My friend and I always said England is Re-enactor / Historian heaven. Whether it's your Civil War or WWII it always seem your country really takes it's History seriously. This is a great example I wish I could be there to eat "Bubble and Squeak" and Mutton ! I can eat plenty of Spam here so I'll leave it at that.......

Pip

A-List Customer
I'll be around again this year, probably doing USAAF or Polish Air Force.

Rude not to, as its 5 minutes from my house lol

Btw - thanks for posting the top photo, I'm 4th from the left (wearing glasses), that was my first year of reenacting (4 years ago now I think, I look back and cringe at what I was wearing haha).

Two Gun Bob

One of the Regulars
Well I never, it's a small world! lol

For what it's worth I thought you guys did a great job with the Home Guard, very entertaining.

I'm going USA civilian photojournalist this year, so if you see someone looking like an overweight Indiana Jones with a goatee beard and carrying an old camera round his neck feel free to say 'Hi'. :p

Pip said:
I'll be around again this year, probably doing USAAF or Polish Air Force.

Rude not to, as its 5 minutes from my house lol

Btw - thanks for posting the top photo, I'm 4th from the left (wearing glasses), that was my first year of reenacting (4 years ago now I think, I look back and cringe at what I was wearing haha).

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
Severn Valley weekends

hello all

Really looking forward to visiting these events this uear and being part of the whole thing.. Saying that though, my look is more Edwardian, 1920's, so will have to be quite careful to look a bit more 40's!!

Kind Regards
RBH

Two Gun Bob

One of the Regulars
I shall be there on the first Sunday and the second Saturday as I am acting as official photographer for SSAFA Forces Help at their Veteran's Awareness Day in Walsall on the first Saturday and am leading a countryside photography walk on the second Sunday.

Should be a fun couple of weekends anyway!

Sir RBH said:
hello all

Really looking forward to visiting these events this uear and being part of the whole thing.. Saying that though, my look is more Edwardian, 1920's, so will have to be quite careful to look a bit more 40's!!

Kind Regards
RBH

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Sir RBH said:
hello all

Kind Regards
RBH

If you are an older gentleman, there would be nothing out of place in you wearing 1920s clothes. If you look at pictures from the period lots of older people are wearing older clothes - the maxim being if it ain't worn out, wear it! Lots of people make the mistake of thinking they would be wearing the most up - to date styles which of course, in a time of war/rationing is far from the truth.

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
Miss Sis said:
If you are an older gentleman, there would be nothing out of place in you wearing 1920s clothes. If you look at pictures from the period lots of older people are wearing older clothes - the maxim being if it ain't worn out, wear it! Lots of people make the mistake of thinking they would be wearing the most up - to date styles which of course, in a time of war/rationing is far from the truth.

We do have a good time at these events.. and some very traditionally styled People too!

Pip

A-List Customer
Sir RBH said:
We do have a good time at these events.. and some very traditionally styled People too!

Where you the chap I was shouting across the train tracks to at Highley Station by any chance? :D

Didn't click who it was until 20 minutes or so after :eek: , massive blonde moment :eek: lol

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
Pip said:
Where you the chap I was shouting across the train tracks to at Highley Station by any chance? :D

Didn't click who it was until 20 minutes or so after :eek: , massive blonde moment :eek: lol
Hello there
No, It wasnt me.. but i saw you at one of the stations as we went past on the train..
Had a great day out
Must do some more of these.. Any excuse to realy go for it with plus fours etc!!

navyguyAl

New in Town
SVR 40s weekends

This has to be the 'best' 40s weekend (slightly wrong as it covers two weekends) that there is. Will be attending next year which will be my 4th for the full 10 days again. I am wearing my 40s Royal Navy Blue in my avatar pic. As this group is mainly US perhaps I had better change it to my USN 40s Dress blues!!:)

Two Gun Bob said:
June 28, 29, & July 5, 6, 2008 see the annual 1940's Weekends on the Severn Valley Railway, the UK's finest and biggest preserved steam railway (railroad to my US friends!).

On these weekends the whole of the line and all its stations are turned back in time to take a nostalgic look at Britain - and small parts of the Europe - during World War II with period vehicles, costumes and re-enactments including British, American and German troops and British and other nations civilians.

What better opportunity for members of the Fedora Lounge to flash those fedoras - and your chance to dress to kill in a real time-travel setting, ladies! In fact if anyone's interested in meeting up at this event I'd be delighted to hear from you!

Highlights in past years included costumed re-enactors and Joe Public, military vehicles, battle re-enactment, Home Guard, spivs and civilians, evacuees and wartime weddings as well as big band music! A few of my photos are below to show you some of the fun and frolics :eusa_clap

The Engine House, the new Visitor & Education Centre at Highley, will play host to some additional themed activities (additional admission charge applies).

Fares to be announced - check with the SVR: http://www.svr.co.uk

I am not associated with the SVR or the organisers of this event but have enjoyed attending many times in the past, so this is simply a public service announcement from a satisfied customer :D

navyguyAl

New in Town
WWII Navy

I should have added that if there is anyone interested in WWII Navy then please make contact through my website at: http://www.lanra.co.uk

navyguyAl said:
This has to be the 'best' 40s weekend (slightly wrong as it covers two weekends) that there is. Will be attending next year which will be my 4th for the full 10 days again. I am wearing my 40s Royal Navy Blue in my avatar pic. As this group is mainly US perhaps I had better change it to my USN 40s Dress blues!!:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy