Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shackleton's 1908 Arctic expeditionary diet

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
That's a crazy amount of food! MREs are around 900-1000 calories per meal, I think, and when we were in the Artic Circle they supplemented even that. I think I was eating about 3000-5000 calories per day, though, not per meal! Just thinking about a 20 oz steak puts me into a food coma!

Mojave Jack said:
That's a crazy amount of food! MREs are around 900-1000 calories per meal, I think, and when we were in the Artic Circle they supplemented even that. I think I was eating about 3000-5000 calories per day, though, not per meal! Just thinking about a 20 oz steak puts me into a food coma!

Put the steak in front of me then. I'll take care of it. ;) :p

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I like steak. I could probably eat 20 oz of it without much trouble (as long as I wasn't obligated to polish off any sides).

Of course, when food ran low, Shackleton's crew turned to dog steaks, and, eventually, to an all-fish diet, which in the end had to be eaten raw.

Mojito

One Too Many
As long as you don't wind up on the Scott-1912-Polar-Expedition diet!

Or - even worse - the Mawson-1912-Post-Losing-Supplies-and-Lt-Ninnis-down-a-crevasse diet. That's the one where you travel on, killing one dog at a time and eating every scrap you possibly can while slowing going mad from the resulting vitamin A poisoning.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
inuit arctic knife

I read this recently & it struck me as more amazing than any sci-fi lightsabre, klingon sword myth:

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/09/26/wade-davis-an-inuit.html

The Inuit didn’t fear the cold; they took advantage of it. During the 1950s the Canadian government forced the Inuit into settlements. A family from Arctic Bay told me this fantastic story of their grandfather who refused to go. The family, fearful for his life, took away all of his tools and all of his implements, thinking that would force him into the settlement. But instead, he just slipped out of an igloo on a cold Arctic night, pulled down his caribou and sealskin trousers, and defecated into his hand. As the feces began to freeze, he shaped it into the form of an implement. And when the blade started to take shape, he put a spray of saliva along the leading edge to sharpen it. That’s when the “shite knife” took form. He used it to butcher a dog. Skinned the dog with it. Improvised a sled with the dog’s rib cage, and then, using the skin, he harnessed up an adjacent living dog. He put the knife in his belt and disappeared into the night.

Story

I'll Lock Up
MrBern said:
A restaurant is offering customers the polar opposite of today's healthy diet - a 6,000 calorie menu inspired by an Antarctic explorer.

The only drawback is that the tables are set up in the meat freezer and you have to wear a filthy Anorak during the meal. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo