Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shakespear on TCM

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Todays lineup on TCM has several good classic Shakespearian films including 1944's Henry V with Sir Laurence Olivier. This is a take or leave it subject for some. But for those that enjoy Shakespear I think these are a must see. The only one that is missing is Orson Wells 1948 MacBeth.

Cheers!

Dan

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Last night TCM played all of these very early silent clips, from 1908 to 1915 or so, of Shakespearean scenes. Some of these you have probably seen at the end credits of TCM's documentaries.

Still, watching these images is very spooky. There is something alienating about these vintage speckled images of people long-dead dancing in elaborate costumes, smiling forever in one moment of white-faced frozen eternity, over and over. -Or maybe it's just me! It is fascinating stuff.

DanielJones said:
Todays lineup on TCM has several good classic Shakespearian films including 1944's Henry V with Sir Laurence Olivier. This is a take or leave it subject for some. But for those that enjoy Shakespear I think these are a must see. The only one that is missing is Orson Wells 1948 MacBeth.

Cheers!

Dan

Are they showing Richard Burton's Hamlet? That's one of the best filmed Shakespeare that i've seen. Henry V is good too.

bk

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
Are they showing Richard Burton's Hamlet? That's one of the best filmed Shakespeare that i've seen. Henry V is good too.

bk

It happens to be the Sir Laurence Olivier version they are playing tonight. Mel Gibsons version was closely modeled after this one.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Well it was a evening of Sir Laurence Olivier on TCM.
hamletolivier.jpg

I can see why they Knighted him. A fabulous Shakespearian Actor. I only wish that they had played Orson Welles Macbeth. It was so well done in it's time.

Cheers!

Dan

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
Richard Burton's "Hamlet" doesn't show up on TV. In fact, it's not even supposed to exist. The deal was to film the stage production (which John Gielgud directed) on an early form of video-to-film transfer, distribute it, as I recall, to classrooms on 16mm, and then recall and destroy all prints after a certain amount of time. But someone with a sense of history saved one, and if anyone one of us has seen it (I saw it eons ago -- in a classroom!), that's the source. Personally, my favorite Shakespeare on film is Olivier's "Richard III," which also wasn't shown on TCM, though his "Othello" is pretty durn good, too. For the record, the worst (IMO) Shakespeare on film is the Peter Brook "King Lear," which is an insomniac's dream (no irony intended...okay, it was intended...sue me).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland