Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Share your favourite Jazz

Dagwood

Practically Family
Mel Torme is my favorite. Played drums for the Marx Brothers and, among other things, recorded with Bing Crosby.

A small sample of his "velvet" voice can be found here. Enjoy!

merkman

Familiar Face
gipsy jazz

For all of you Django fans out there, you MUST check out "Bireli Lagrene and the gipsy project" He is Django reincarnated. These guys can play!
It's as if you are listening to the original hot club but recorded with 21st century technology There is also a DVD "Bireli Lagrene and friends live in Vienna" . I think I got it at Amazon. Wonderfull to watch. Truly amazing musicians.......

Bud!

A new DVD came out with various video recordings of Powell in Europe towards the end of the 50s and early in the 60s. Clips of this have, of course, found their way onto Youtube.

Make of 'em what you will. This one (below), i think, is a solid representative of the great music Powell was still capable of producing even in his decline. There are complaints in reviews - largely written by non-musicians - that this isn't the Powell of old. damn staright it isn't. peopl make the mistake of comparing his product of the late 40s with his late 50s product. This is music produced by two very different people (by all accounts), and in my opinion cannot be compared directly. These periods of his life must be taken completely independently.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wDfdIf7Yi8M&feature=related

If you're interested by this period of Bud's music, i highly recommend Bud Powell Live at the Gyllene Cirkeln (vols 1-5) out on Steeplechase records.

bk

nightandthecity

Practically Family
merkman said:
For all of you Django fans out there, you MUST check out "Bireli Lagrene and the gipsy project" He is Django reincarnated. These guys can play!
It's as if you are listening to the original hot club but recorded with 21st century technology There is also a DVD "Bireli Lagrene and friends live in Vienna" . I think I got it at Amazon. Wonderfull to watch. Truly amazing musicians.......

Bireli and friends.......perhaps the best 8 1/2 minutes on the internet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZey9fRiH4w

Viper Man

Banned
Great Thread!

I love pretty much all jazz from the 20s to the late 60s (fusion and avant garde do not move me). In fact, I 'll be giving a guest lecture at the local community college in February on jazz. The topic will be Mainstream and I will focus on the Swingville label and profile two very different but in many ways similar musicians, Coleman Hawkins & Pee Wee Russell. I'm still doing research but it should be alot of fun. Great thread.

Viper Man

Banned
I have never had a full song show up in my dreams but I often have short passages. Most recently, I enjoyed dreaming of Bechet's "Lonesome Blues" but I also recall hearing "Forty Seventh and State" by Bud Freeman not long ago. lol and here I thought I was the only person dreaming of vintage jazz.

BTW, Love Hampton's "Flying Home" and highly reccommend the recently reissued "Complete Lionel Hampton on Victor" from Mosaic Records. Fantastic and timeless music and the remastering sounds incredible.

Viper Man

Banned
Today I'm listening to this...

c3850452qk4.jpg

Pres is fantastic! This album and his "Commodore" sides are some of my all time favorite jazz. In fact, just about everything released on the Keynote label is incredible small group swing. Highly recommended!

Viper Man

Banned
It's Keynote day! Now I'm listening to this one...

c38435p5e2u.jpg

Benny Carter is definitely underrated. He was one of the greats and not only was he an amazing alto saxophonist but he doubled on trumpet as well. He also was a gifted writer and arranger.

Viper Man

Banned
My fault...

Baron Kurtz said:
Didn't Carter sing, too, in the sessions with Hawkins/Reinhardt/Grapelli?

bk

OK, I thought I had this session but I don't. This is the disc I was thinking of and it does have Benny Carter with Django & Stephane but no vocals...

41QVHTSGHHL._AA240_.jpg

However, The sides with Rex Stewart are classic and the Coleman Hawkins stuff is great as usual.

Viper Man

Banned
This thread isn't seeing much action, huh? Lately I have been listening to "Genius of the Electric Guitar" the 4 disc Charlie Christian box set that Columbia released a few years ago. Really fantastic small group swing and I highly recommend it, especially if you're new to Charlie or BG's smaller groups. There are plenty of classic sides in this collection and besides Christian's consistently excellent work, there are some great solos by Lester Young, Benny Goodman, Lionel Hampton, Cootie Williams, and more giants of the golden age of jazz.

B00006JKFJ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Viper Man

Banned
Hi-Fi Salute to Bunny

Today I was enjoying some Mainstream Jazz, Ruby Braff's 1957 tribute to Bunny Berigan. It is most excellent and highly recommended. Pee Wee Russell is great on this one! They don't make 'em like this anymore!

nLP%20053_1.jpg

Viper Man

Banned
I am still on my Mainstream kick. Today has been "Ben & Sweets" day! lol
First I listened to this classic...

41YCD9YNWSL._AA240_.jpg

Followed by this one...

51QR9KCV88L._AA240_.jpg

And capped it off with this...

51W9WHxbD5L._AA240_.jpg

A veritable trifecta of classic small group swing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner