Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sharps Rifles saga

Naphtali

Practically Family
Despite their sameness I enjoy watching most 90-minute episodes of Sharpes Rifles, my favorite being episode one.

After a hiatus of more than 15 years??, "Sharpes Peril" is a new episode with much higher production values - and one production facet that nearly renders other qualities moot. This new episode, that I viewed on DVD, is a two-parter, with closed caption (a first) and interesting bonus features (another first). The problem facet occurs with regularity because this episode has more "action" sequences than any other in the series. The flintlock mechanisms don't work yet the firearms go "boom." For me, this is disconcerting, AND it is something that either does not occur in the original series OR the cinematographer did not use so many loving close-ups that attention is drawn to the silliness.

Since the original series was filmed, I believe, in the Ukraine and "Sharpes Peril" was filmed in India, it is possible that this problem was forced on production because of some sort of bizarre firearms restrictions.

Last edited:

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Used to watch this series regularly when they first came out in the States. Had wanted a functioning reproduction 1806 Baker Rifle ever since, and a green coat to go along with it.

Cheers!

Dan

seahound

New in Town
I've seen them all and enjoy most of them. I found the earlier ones were the best and I wish he hadn't gone through quite so many women...made the series a little too melodramatic.

ukali1066

Practically Family
Yeah as history it's full of holes....but as daring do boys entertainment it's rather good.....I bet the real 95th Riflemen wished they got to blast though Spain hatless...romancing various wenches on the way....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner