Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shearling thickness (and other newbie questions)

AllanP

Familiar Face
Hi I am very new to the forum. I recently purchased a cheaper b3/raf type knockoff from a local leather shop, which made me do more research online about b3's and eventually got me to here.

I am looking at investing in a more authentic and well made shearling flight jacket in the future because I really like the knockoff one. I have went through a lot of threads on here and visited ELC, Aero, Lost world etc. websites

I am very curious and a bit confused about the thickness of the shearling. On the Simmons Bilt website, they give you an option of selecting 25mm or 15 mm. What is the normal thickness of a typical b3, does it vary greatly?, how does it affect the look of the jacket. I don't know what the current thickness of my jacket is, but i think it is thinner than a well made b3.

Also as a side question. Where do fellow Canadians purchase their jackets and what are the duties and taxes like ordering from the UK.

HPA Rep

Vendor
Welcome, AllanP!

The original wartime B-3 jackets had three different depths of wool: the body, the collar and sleeves, and the cuffs and wind flap. There can be found some vintage B-3's with cuff wool a bit longer than the specified 1/4", but the wind flaps are consistently on spec. at 1/4", the sleeves and collar 1/2", and the body 3/4", with 1" being employed on the earlier examples.

Many so-called repro B-3's feature wool that is too long, usually just one depth, which makes for a puffy, inauthentic, overly bulky jacket with an outlandishly large, thick collar. There are many other authentic considerations to assess when selecting a B-3 if total authenticity is your desire. It is widely considered by those in the know that Eastman produces the most authentic B-3's available as part of a production series of goods.

If you purchase your ELC B-3 from us, no Canadian customer pays duty because the purchase is treated under NAFTA as USA made, this we can assure as a regular retailer to Canadian buyers since 1989, though national and provincial taxes may apply just as they would for Canadian-made goods.

You would need to contact your own customs officials to accurately ascertain what the duty would be if purchasing from the UK, but it will likely be structured as a percentage of the amount paid, could include the shipping cost in this, too, and will also include a processing/handling fee. And, of course, your national and provincial taxes.

If you have any questions at all, please drop us a line or give a call. Good luck, and thanks for keeping the interest alive in this classic, rugged style.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn