Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sheer Excitement!

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Much to my extreme joy, I have found out that my quaint little town has an actual big band! They perform quite often at the recreation center downtown, and they have an upcoming dance on the 28th of this month. As you can probably imagine, I plan to attend (despite not knowing how to dance :eusa_doh: .) The tickets are only $5.00 and that includes drinks, which is nice because I plan to invite a certain young lady to attend with me (I doubt that she will, but it doesn't hurt to ask [huh] .) Anyway, before this thread gets moved, here is the question. If I were to wear a red carnation or other colored flower (depending on what I can find) am I limited to a solid white pocket square? What about a white/blue checked PS? What about a white flower with a red PS?

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Sounds like good advice to me. Always exciting to see a local band I saw the local University's Big Band recently.
I hope she say "yes" it sounds like an excellent first date. Of course, this comes from a man who's first date with his wife was to the British Museum ;)

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Oh, I'm not going in black tie (I haven't pieved all of that together....yet.) I'll be wearing a navy pinstripe suit.

Marc Chevalier said:
According to some old (1930s) American guidebooks, red carnations were for black tie and white carnations belonged with white tie and tails. The pocket handkerchiefs were to be of white cotton or linen in both cases.

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Thanks!

Ethan Bentley said:
Sounds like good advice to me. Always exciting to see a local band I saw the local University's Big Band recently.
I hope she say "yes" it sounds like an excellent first date. Of course, this comes from a man who's first date with his wife was to the British Museum ;)

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
What do you think would go well with a red carnation? I may just go with a plain white PS, or a white flower and a red silk.

Marc Chevalier said:
In that case, feel free to wear a colored/patterned pocket handkerchief. :eusa_clap

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Sheer Disappointment

I called the rec center (where the dances are held) and the lady there said that most men wear sport jackets and several men go sans tie. I'm afraid my chosen attire may be entirely too much; navy pinstripe suit, white herringbone textured shirt with double cuffs, yet to be determined tie, sterling cufflinks, black punch caps, white boutonniere, red silk pocket square, and navy socks with clocks and gray braces. Does this attire sound like too much? I suppose I will 86 the suit in favor of a blazer, and the double cuffs in favor of button cuffs if need be. It also appears that I will be the only attendee under fifty, so I doubt that I will ask the girl to the dance.

dnjan

One Too Many
cufflinkmaniac said:
It also appears that I will be the only attendee under fifty, so I doubt that I will ask the girl to the dance.
You may need the young lady as protection from the older widows ...

On a serious note - is there a dance studio in town/near? You might see about recruiting a few additional "non-gray-hairs" to attend a future dance so you have more of a group there. When I was in college, one of the dance teachers would announce local opportunities like this in class. The dances would often end being fairly even mixes between people in their late teens to 20's and 50's-plus.

Heather

Practically Family
Oh, neat! :D This reminds me that I saw something on my school's bulletin board last night for a 50's dance that's going to be happening.The co-owner of my school is somehow involved. I'm very tempted but somehow I don't see my husband attending it with me. [huh] Oh well...have some fun for me, okay? ;)

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
I spoke to the lady in charge and she told me that I should have no issues with wearing a suit, and that I would not be the only person under thirty. I will ask the girl, now whether she accepts or not is anyone's guess.

kools said:
Oh man...I see no reason not to take the girl & dress how you prefer.

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Alright. ;)

Heather said:
Oh, neat! :D This reminds me that I saw something on my school's bulletin board last night for a 50's dance that's going to be happening.The co-owner of my school is somehow involved. I'm very tempted but somehow I don't see my husband attending it with me. [huh] Oh well...have some fun for me, okay? ;)

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Sheer confusion

I think that she accepted, but this girl is a bit difficult to read, I can't tell if she is serious or joking. It may actually be better if she is joking; her mother (which means my mother as well) would be coming along.:eusa_doh: Anyway, if she does come, I will have to switch out a suit for a blazer. I will gladly outdress everyone else there, but I don't think that it is very gentlemanly to outdress one's date (or the mothers coming with you shakeshead .) Anyway, if she meant it, great, if not, it really doesn't bother me that much.

dnjan

One Too Many
Rather than getting into trouble by making a comment related to the difficulty of reading women, I will instead offer my congratulations! It appears you will now have three women to dance with!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
And if you can find a place to get basic swing dancing lessons, so much the better. Bring the girl so you can both get the hang of it. It's not nearly as difficult as it looks. Unless the roof caves in on the joint, you should have a blast! Get pics!!!

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
I thought I'd give everyone the scoop. I went stag (she didn't RSVP) and wore a tan blazer, navy slacks, white/blue check shirt, red paisley tie, black split toes, black belt, navy/white/lighter blue/red argyle socks, Argyll and Sutherland watchband on silver w/ white face watch, and a light blue tartan pocket square. I didn't wear a boutonniere.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ormbingley