Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Sherlock" BBC series.

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
James71 said:
Friends of mine loved the recent movie, but they had never read the books. I think that probably stands for most who like the modern adaptions as well. If you havent spent time getting to know Holmes in his natural setting then meeting him somewhere else is no big deal. If, like me, you love the original literature then the displacement into another era seems anachronistic.
I have to disagree with this. It's true that people who do not know the original Holmes stories will see no issue with certain "updates" like the Ritchie movie, but quite a bit of the enjoyment of the Moffat/Gratis series comes from the references to the original. Things like the nicotine patches, Watson's blog, and Holmes' army of homeless informants may pass by uninitiated viewers, but to those familiar with the original it strikes a chord of recognition. For me, half the fun of the series was seeing how they incorporated concepts from the original into modern versions of the same, without making it seem anachronistic.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Mahagonny Bill said:
I have to disagree with this. It's true that people who do not know the original Holmes stories will see no issue with certain "updates" like the Ritchie movie, quite a bit of the enjoyment of the Moffat/Gratis series comes from the references to the original. Things like the nicotine patches, Watson's blog, and Holmes' army of homeless informants may pass by uninitiated viewers, but to those familiar with the original it strikes a chord of recognition. For me, half the fun of the series was seeing how they incorporated concepts from the original into modern versions if the same, without making it seem anachronistic.

That was what I liked too.

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
Thought they were enjoyable, really missed the Edwardian setting though. The lad playing Holmes is excellent.

Jeremy Brett was Holmes though. So much so that it killed him.

Hereward

One of the Regulars
My wife and I went to the West End play featuring Jeremy Brett and whoever was Watson at the time. It was so long ago I've forgotten. The play was excellent in every way.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The first episode hit "Mystery" last night, or was it two nights ago, I cannot recall. Anyway, absolutely brilliant from title to title. What makes it interesting for me is the attention to character and the high quality of acting. I also like the awkwardness of Sherlock showing much of the Doctor Who influence that Moffat brought along with him. I also like the snippets into his thought process.

Minor pedantic points, it's inductive reasoning not deductive, when you extrapolate the broad from the specific, but whatever, it's a joy to watch.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I saw the first episode last night. Moving Holmes, et.al., to the present is an obvious gimmick... but you know, it works, even for an old hardcore Basil Rathbone fan like me.

I enjoyed this variation VASTLY more than the recent Robert Downey/Jude Law film. That movie kept the outward trappings of the Victorian period, but was far too contemporary in its character motivations, dialog, attitudes, and storytelling methods. Yet this series, while unabashedly set in today's world, captures the essence of Sherlock Holmes much better. Well written, well cast, well played. I'll definitely be watching the two remaining episodes.

Also, I don't think anyone above has yet mentioned that this Dr. Watson - Martin Freeman - is going to star as Bilbo Baggins in Peter Jackson's two upcoming films of The Hobbit!

It was just announced about a week ago, and now that the labor issue is finally settled, shooting is finally going to start in February. So... unless they're already working on them right now, this may cause a problem for the BBC doing another series of these Sherlock shows... They may have to recast Watson, since Freeman's going to be on set in New Zealand for something like the next year and a half!

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
It was just announced about a week ago, and now that the labor issue is finally settled, shooting is finally going to start in February. So... unless they're already working on them right now, this may cause a problem for the BBC doing another series of these Sherlock shows... They may have to recast Watson, since Freeman's going to be on set in New Zealand for something like the next year and a half!

Calling Edward Hardwicke! :D

I'll have to give this show a look. I'm less concerned with the time period than I am with their capturing the spirit of the characters.

I got the Big Green Holmes Granada Box back in March and the transfers are vastly improved over previous Granada Holmes sets. It was hugely discounted the day the Downey/Law movie was released. As for that film, I saw that on the flight back from London and while I enjoyed it as a sort of Victorian/Steampunk action story, it sadly lacked that Holmesian magic.

Lokar

A-List Customer
I am a real hater of the overly camped-up Holmes a la Jeremy Brett

Camped up? Maybe I'm not getting what you mean, but I don't see that at all.

Other than that though, I agree. Always nice to see a smart Watson (he was a doctor, after all). I enjoyed the shows more than I thought I would.

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
PBS is showing this now in the U.S. Just watched the second episode and can't wait for the third one next week. LOVE it! I have always like Martin Freeman, and kinda have a crush on him now :)!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Last night was a bit off. The first was better, brilliant in fact. Last night was still good, though nothing like the first.

As an aside, Alan Cumming; great style, manner, diction. A compelling and unique personality.

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
Oh, I agree...the first one was phenomenal!

And yes, the added bonus of Alan Cumming introducing Masterpiece Mystery is nice. His style is impeccable, isn't it?

Edward

Bartender
I have to disagree with this. It's true that people who do not know the original Holmes stories will see no issue with certain "updates" like the Ritchie movie, but quite a bit of the enjoyment of the Moffat/Gratis series comes from the references to the original. Things like the nicotine patches, Watson's blog, and Holmes' army of homeless informants may pass by uninitiated viewers, but to those familiar with the original it strikes a chord of recognition. For me, half the fun of the series was seeing how they incorporated concepts from the original into modern versions of the same, without making it seem anachronistic.

Absolutely. For all they changed, for me this was a truer reading of Holmes (and especially Watson) than many, if not most, screen outings for all they have been set in the Victorian era.

Calling Edward Hardwicke! :D

I'll have to give this show a look. I'm less concerned with the time period than I am with their capturing the spirit of the characters.

I got the Big Green Holmes Granada Box back in March and the transfers are vastly improved over previous Granada Holmes sets. It was hugely discounted the day the Downey/Law movie was released. As for that film, I saw that on the flight back from London and while I enjoyed it as a sort of Victorian/Steampunk action story, it sadly lacked that Holmesian magic.

I felt much the same about the Downey outing. I liked the idea of Holmes being a barefist boxer; this side to the character, for me anyhow, a lot of credibility to his connections with the underclasses and folks on the street - what otherwise sets him apart from others of the prissified middle and upper classes that they afford him the level of respect they do? for the most part, though, it was a bit too action oriented, too little detection. hinted nicely at Homles' sociopathic tendencies, but not to the sublime levels of Auntie's take. Overall, it reminded me rather a lot of The young Sherlock Holmes - a fun diversion, but nothing more.

There was also another Hollywood outing for the character in recent years, with Gerard Kelly(?) in the lead - Victorian set, a bit more conventional by the looks of it. It went straight to DVD in the UK, though that's rarely relevant as to quality. Anyone seen it?

The certain way in certain episodes, that he would flourish his cane, or flick his arm out to beckon Watson. Many of the mannerisms displayed in the Brett characterisation gave me a mildly camped-up impression. Almost over-acting the part for the viewers. Oooo, that 'Olmes, ee's a bit weird innee? Ahhh, moother, that 'ee is.

I fully accept that my impressions may be entirely localised in my own noggin.

Camped up? Maybe I'm not getting what you mean, but I don't see that at all.

Other than that though, I agree. Always nice to see a smart Watson (he was a doctor, after all). I enjoyed the shows more than I thought I would.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
The certain way in certain episodes, that he would flourish his cane, or flick his arm out to beckon Watson. Many of the mannerisms displayed in the Brett characterisation gave me a mildly camped-up impression. Almost over-acting the part for the viewers. Oooo, that 'Olmes, ee's a bit weird innee? Ahhh, moother, that 'ee is.

I fully accept that my impressions may be entirely localised in my own noggin.

I wrote a post on this last night and I don't know where it has gone!

I think the two of you may possibly be using different definitions of "camp". The earlier Holmes films certainly fit the ostentatiously theatrical definition of camp, if not the flamboyantly homosexual meaning that seems to be more associated with the term now.

Edward

Bartender
I've encountered that before, I think , with the US - afaik over there it tends to be read as "gay" and/or effeminate, as opposed to the much more nuanced sense in which we would use it this side of the Atlantic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland