Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ship Geek

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
"Bringing you the Gayest of vacation pleasures..."
...s'pose he might be trying to tell us somep'n there? :rolleyes: NTTAWWT!

Plenty interesting info there, tho, once you get past the overly splashy writing style.

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
OOOOH! I'm in love! I'm a big ship nerd! I'm going to be getting married aboard the USS New Jersey next spring and everyone I tell gives me the "you're nuts" look. But I love ships, especially battleships!

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family

plain old dave

A-List Customer
Only time I have ever been at sea was "haze gray and underway", but travelling civilian on the high seas might be worth lookin' into....

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Some day

I am in the same boat, pardon the pun, as Cherry Bomb and Plain Old Dave. I love battleships and the only time I have been at sea is "haze gray and underway". I would someday like to go to sea on a civilian ship and experience the sea without all the work.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
As John Masefield said "I must go down to the sea in ships".
I just checked out shipgeek's list. His numero uno is SS United States, which was designed to be a fast troop ship. Great ship, certainly, but IMHO not the greatest. I'd pick Normandie, myself.
My girlfriend, when she was very little, went to Europe on the Liberte, Ile de France and the France, and she hardly remembers it at all! Gak!
BTW, according to the SS Maritime website, the SS France/Blue Lady is on thre verge of being saved. She's been beached at Alang, India all winter, waiting for the cutter's torch, while legal battles were being waged. Miraculously, it looks like a group of investors is going to rescue her and turn her into another Queen Mary. Hooray!

Yeah, I'll out myself as a nautical-geek, in addition to being a railhead and a wingnut. (My major vice is collecting models and miniatures, I plan to use 'em as visual aids when I retire and start teaching history classes--I always hated droning lecturers, so I want to make it as engrossing for my future students as possible!)

Anyway, for some reason I've been on a geek-out of late about the various ship designs by the US Shipping Board (WWI) and Maritime Commission (WWII), and came across this site for the MC hulls:
http://www.us-maritime-commission.de/
It's cruelly ironic, having to turn overseas for information about one of the world's biggest Merchant Marine programs...

Cruising the one time I tried wasn't my thing, but that's 'cause I made the mistake of unwittingly booking on a party-hearty line when I'm not a party animal. I always wanted an entire ship all to myself for some reason...

broadway

New in Town
regarding fats waller lyrics

those fats waller lyrics are marvelous.
too bad the music on the radio you hear today is so bad.
and the music you hear is bad.
most of it.
it's just sounds and beats.
very boring. very, very boring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR