Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirley MacLaine

Hondo

One Too Many
She ran with the Rat Pack, made her film debut in a movie directed by Alfred Hitchcock and won an Oscar. But Shirley MacLaine says one thing she never did was sleep with anyone to get a job...

I recently renewed my love for Shirley MacLaine, I enjoyed her early films so much with the late Jack Lemmon so I took in The Apartment, Irma LaDouce (Shirley?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s early films in a small way tends to remind me of Renee Zellweger, if only Renee would stop the pouty look) and of course Sweet Charity and many more. The talent and her career is so outstanding I was surprised that she is 71, and with so many stars from way back passing on, I thought how sad and under rated she is or under appreciated these days compared to say Cameron Diaz, Jennifer Aniston, Nicole Kidman and the current lot of movie actresses we see today. Sure she had a strange film (and who doesn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t?) Cannon Ball Run, but it was played for laughs, that was the 70?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s for you.

shirl29.jpg

I found this article below last week and thought I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢d pass it on, wow she never had to sleep her way to the top (Top Billing in a film), I hope my path crosses with hers before its too late. What an outstanding woman, forever will hold a special place in my heart for an actress of the late 50?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s and 60?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s. This period in films, music was and forever will be my favorite.
What a doll, stay sweet girl :cool:

shirl28.jpg

Shirley MacLaine enjoys Hollywood renaissance
Wednesday February 22, 11:27 AM
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - She ran with the Rat Pack, made her film debut in a movie directed by Alfred Hitchcock and won an Oscar. But Shirley MacLaine says one thing she never did was sleep with anyone to get a job.
"You know I've never had a casting couch proposition in my life. I thought there was something wrong with me. Men always know if you're going to laugh at them, which I would if they did," she said in a recent interview, adding:
"It's nice not to have a career that's based on being a sex object anyway. When I was 20, I saw myself as a character actor, and I still do now."
With a career now in its sixth decade, an Oscar for best actress in 1983's "Terms of Endearment," 10 best-selling books and a reputation as one of Hollywood's sharper wits, MacLaine has earned her icon status.
But at 71, Warren Beatty's older sister has also become surprisingly a hot Hollywood actor. If you need a grandmother: please call.
She won rave reviews playing granny to Cameron Diaz and Toni Collette in the melodrama "In Her Shoes" and co-stars with Jennifer Aniston in "Rumour Has It," also as a grandmother. She also appeared with Nicole Kidman in the summer box office bomb "Bewitched."
The experience has given MacLaine a unique insight into today's modern stars. They are not a curious lot. Or at least, none of the above-named stars was much interested in MacLaine's past life as a superstar.
"Cameron used to spend the first hour of the rehearsal period talking about the problems she had getting out of her house and avoiding the photographers outside," MacLaine said.
"Nicole Kidman, who I adore, asked me questions about longevity when we made 'Bewitched' but nothing else about the business. Jennifer Aniston and I ... talked a lot of human emotion and truth since her problems with her husband (actor Brad Pitt) were then surfacing in the press, but she never asked me about the business either.
"When we made 'In Her Shoes' our rehearsal stage was where my dressing room was when I made 'The Children's Hour,' 'Two For The Seasaw,' 'Irma La Douce' and 'The Apartment.' I would have been happy to share my experiences just on those films alone, but Cameron and Toni never asked me anything off camera."
ADVICE PLEASE
But had they asked, what would she have told them? Apparently: "Don't screw up like I did."
"I would have given them an example of one of my own biggest mistakes. I regret turning down the lead role in 'Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore,' which Ellen Burstyn deservedly won an Oscar for.
"I said to myself 'Who is this (director) Martin Scorsese person? Why should I see this little film about 'Mean Streets'? It was a terrible, terrible mistake on my part. I didn't do my homework. I didn't see his movies. And it was an excellent role for me.
"Never get in a comfort zone where you're not open to new ideas and filmmakers with passion for their projects!"
As an actress, MacLaine so avoids the comfort zone that Curtis Hanson, director of "In Her Shoes" compared her to Russell Crowe, who worked for him in "LA Confidential."
"Shirley's his female counterpart. They're wild horses knocking against a fence post, trying to push and see how far their work can take them. I think being challenged as an actress keeps Shirley young," Hanson said recently.
Be that as it may, MacLaine says she doesn't feel like part of today's Hollywood, and her fondest memories are of times when she hung out with Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin, Jack Lemmon and Clint Eastwood, whom she calls her favourite Republican director.
"Every once in awhile I wake up and see my former life here, and it's fascinating to be this old and this experienced after so many decades of changes," she said.
"When I started women like Joan Crawford, Bette Davis, Susan Hayward and Lana Turner ruled the industry. Julie Andrews and myself were the last women out of the studio star system. When studios stopped having actors, particularly women, under contract they ceased to develop scripts for them, and the entire industry changed almost overnight," she added.
"I think Hollywood is making a big mistake not making films for people over 50. Young people are fickle. They'll stay home and play video games or go out and party instead of going to the movies on a regular basis unless they're dating someone."
Reuters/VNU

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the post. Shirley McClain has always been a favorite of mine, I could not even recall all the films I have seen. Some of my favorites: The Apartment, Irma La Douce, The Children's Hour, The Turning Point, Postcards from the Edge, and on and on.

And she is one of the few actors who can actually write, doesn't need a ghost writer...

karol

Feraud

Bartender
I find it amazing that actresses like Nicole Kidman, Cameron Diaz, and Jennifer Aniston would work with someone with 5-6 decades of experience under her belt and barely ask any questions! Can I also assume they showed no sign of deference?
The experience has given MacLaine a unique insight into today's modern stars. They are not a curious lot. Or at least, none of the above-named stars was much interested in MacLaine's past life as a superstar.
"Cameron used to spend the first hour of the rehearsal period talking about the problems she had getting out of her house and avoiding the photographers outside," MacLaine said.
"Nicole Kidman, who I adore, asked me questions about longevity when we made 'Bewitched' but nothing else about the business. Jennifer Aniston and I ... talked a lot of human emotion and truth since her problems with her husband (actor Brad Pitt) were then surfacing in the press, but she never asked me about the business either.
"When we made 'In Her Shoes' our rehearsal stage was where my dressing room was when I made 'The Children's Hour,' 'Two For The Seasaw,' 'Irma La Douce' and 'The Apartment.' I would have been happy to share my experiences just on those films alone, but Cameron and Toni never asked me anything off camera."
Not curious? What self-centered dummies. :eusa_doh: I can spend all day talking to someone like her about the business. And I am not in it!

Bebop

Practically Family
Shirley MacLaine is one of the sexiest women that I have ever seen. Those eyes and smile can't be beat. Not only is she beautiful but she is outspoken, firm in her beliefs and carries herself with an attitude of exemplary womanhood. I only wish she would do more movies.

Lena_Horne

One of the Regulars
With Dorothy Dandridge and Elizabeth Taylor, Shirley MacClaine is my favorite actress. Thank you so much for sharing this article with me. I read some of the article about her back in Interview Magazine (I think it was December's or January's) but I never managed to finish it.

L_H

Doh!

One Too Many
I loved her in "The Trouble with Harry." What other picture combines The Master of Suspense with "Leave it to Beaver" (Jerry Mathers is in it, too!)?

Hondo

One Too Many
Not curious? What self-centered dummies. I can spend all day talking to someone like her about the business. And I am not in it!

I find that so ironic as well about those "dummies" for not even doing a backgroup check on Shirley MacLaine, all so self centered, actors today are nothing like those from yesterday, its this reason that turns me off from the "dummies"; I also agree about Hollywood for not using actors/actress over 50. I too love Shirley?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s eyes, her face always cute, but she has more than looks, smarts to match. She is so strong, I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m happy for her, for the roles she can get, playing grandmothers, but I feel with her talent she could be offered better roles, scripts.
She is an outstanding woman, long may she live and thrive, what a doll :cheers1:

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I find it amazing that actresses like Nicole Kidman, Cameron Diaz, and Jennifer Aniston would work with someone with 5-6 decades of experience under her belt and barely ask any questions!

And with all her past lives, 5-6 THOUSAND YEARS of experience!

She's a fine actress, but maybe she's difficult to talk to, a bore, a little off her rocker... we don't know her any better than we know the three younger actresses who may very well be self-centred dummies, too stuck-up to talk to Shirl. Anyway, Nicole Kidman doesn't really need pointers on craft, and nothing Shirely MacLaine can say is going to help Cameron Diaz or Jennifer Aniston to become better actresses.

My favourite Maclaine movies are The Apartment, Two Mules for Sister Sara and The Turning Point. Terms of Endearment, Madame Soutaska (sp?) and Steel Magnolias... not so much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner