Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirts - Hanging or folded?

Feraud

Bartender
matei said:
After our trip to LA, space is a premium (came back with a load of shirts) so I'll probably consign some of the older shirts to storage in the meantime.
Matei, where did you get the shirts and are they vintage or new?

JamesT1

Familiar Face
I hang everything except undergarments, shoes, socks, sweaters (except cardigans), hats, and polo shirts.

I also found that it is worthwhile to invest in good hangers (I took mine from my old job doing shipment at a retail store).

Renee

Familiar Face
I launder, iron, and then hang my husband's shirts. The problem is that wardrobe space is at such a premium (no big walk-in closets like in the states) that sometimes the ironed and hung shirts get wrinkled. It's kind of a lose-lose situation ... :rolleyes:

JamesT1

Familiar Face
Renee said:
I launder, iron, and then hang my husband's shirts. The problem is that wardrobe space is at such a premium (no big walk-in closets like in the states) that sometimes the ironed and hung shirts get wrinkled. It's kind of a lose-lose situation ... :rolleyes:

I don't have a walk in either, only an two dressers, two closets and a wardrobe.

matei

One Too Many
Feraud said:
Matei, where did you get the shirts and are they vintage or new?

Hi Feraud,

I'm afraid that I went with new shirts, due to the fact that vintage in my size (17.5" neck) can be hard to find.

Here in the UK there is a dearth of icky spread collar shirts, so I picked up quite a few Van Heusen fitted point-collar shirts. With the small-knotted vintage tie the longer collars look great. Even though they are fitted, they're still rather blousy.

I actually picked them up at the "Citadel" outlet not far from downtown LA. It is the one with the big, faux-Art Deco facade.

Hammelby

One of the Regulars
I launder, iron (and sometimes starch collars) and hang
I feel pretty neat ironing my own shirts (when i have the time
to do it) Otherwise if in a hurry i think its a drag!

My Pop's Closet

New in Town
I launder, hang dry and fold my shirts. Before I put on a clean shirt, I usually spray a little water on the shirt before I iron it. Afterwards and depending on the shirt, I'll use spay starch. I do have one of those no-iron dress shirts. It cuts my time considerably.

I don't take my shirts to the dry cleaners anymore. Too many shirts returned with burn marks and missing or cracked buttons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou