Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SHOCK GASP! Nail Biter needs help!

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
I hate to admit this to you ladies - but I am a nail biter and I need some tips to help me stop as my nails are absolutely wrecked beyond belief.

I did get some Jessica nail treatments a couple of months ago and managed to withhold from biting for a 'little while' maybe a week and a half? and these horrible very off white 'tabs' is all I can describe them as, grew but my patience wore thin and what with habit and stress and I ended up biting them all off. If they had looked vaguely like nails then maybe I would have been proud of myself and stopped.

Any tips?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
If you do it because you are nervous, try to substitute something else.

I use a smooth stone and rub it when i get worried...it does actually work, but you have to remember to do it instead of the nail biting. Also, start doing other things that are 'investing' in making your nails nicer, like having cuticle and nail cremes in your bag and applying them often, way more often then normal'

I found it was a thought process issue for me. If I remember that I am doing the cremes and things so that i have nicer nails, I also hesitate before sticking nails in between teeth.

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
I think it is a bit of both really - I kicked the 'habit' when using the jessica treatments so to speak as I focused on painting them and filing them. I eventually bit them because they weren't looking all that great and I was stressed anyway, so thought what the hell, the first bite was a concious bite and then it fell into a habit again if that makes sense!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Any kind of habit is a pain to break. I'm a nail biter as well and have to say that I second the acrylic nails option! This has been the only thing that has cured my biting habit. Another thing that helps me is finding a plastic thing-a-bob that is chewable...gets the gnawing need out of you ;)

Elaina

One Too Many
Acrylics are also a good pampering. I, and only I, am allowed into the salon. My husband and son "pay" for it, but I go in, one of them pays and they leave, and come back 40 minutes later.

They look real enough, I get rounded tips and do an american manicure painted on, 99% of the time. Occasionally I'll get a color. I need to go and get them done again. I don't bite them, because of the cost, and I feel prettier for it.

Elaina

One Too Many
:eek: That much! Oh my goodness! You can get a full set like...much less here. Do you have a beauty college that has nail techs? Here I pay $21 for a full set, tip and the extra cost of American manicure. Schools are about half that (but I can walk to the salon, whereas I'd have to drive half an hour for the school.) For you, it may be worth it.

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
I am sure local colleges would do them too, I may enquire about it. Everything costs double over here! It's a real pain in the backside but that's what VAT does!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I don't bite my nails, but I do have a habit of picking at them. I've finally gotten over that, but when I was constantly messing with my nails, acrylics were the only thing that worked. They look great and are worth the money. The other nice thing is that when you break a nail, you just go and get it repaired! No waiting on one finger to catch up to the rest. lol Fiberglass nails are also really nice and a little more natural looking, but also slightly more costly. Nail salons are so prevalent here - there's one in every parking lot strip center - that you can get a full set of acrylic nails for around $20, and a "fill" (maintenance visit about every 2 weeks) for around $13.

I last had my acrylics taken off just about a year ago. My natural nails are great now! I keep them looking nice with Sally Hansen's tinted nail strengthener and a whitening pencil under the tips. It gives a very neat French manicure look for minimal effort, and is easy to maintain. I also do my own manicures at home and use a salt scrub on my hands about once a week. I find that keeping my hands moisturized also keeps me from starting to pick. I use a cuticle oil over each nail, then apply the Nivea cream in the blue tin and massage into my hands. Wipe off any excess with a tissue, then I apply a cuticle cream and let it soak in while I'm driving to my office. It is a routine that has worked very well for me. I also try to apply a layer of hand cream at night before bed.

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
Ok, I know this is a powder room topic, but guys have nails too.

Will power. I used to bite my nails constantly, one day I just decided it was a horrible thing to do and stopped. I was amazed at how fast my nails grew and how often I needed to cut them.

But really, forget about the odd tasting potions.... just make the decision and stop.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I used to bite my nails like crazy. I stopped in High School by talking my mom into acrylics. I grew them long and then made taking care of my nails a habit. Nail biting over, although sometimes I chew on the loose cuticles, I've learned to keep clippers on hand. Cuticle scissors would be better, but even clippers are better than teeth.

Now I play with my hair, which is annoying too.

I need to find a new bad habit.

Foofoogal

Banned
Ok, I once again have to say I think science is dropping the ball.
I have bit my nails since I had my children and think it is hormonal.
I actually don't bite the nails but the sides.
When I took PTU for my thyroid I completely stopped for 6 months but am now back at it. I believe it has to do with my cycle as it is much worse a certain time of month. Like a PMS thing.
Hopefully in about 10 years someone is going to figure out all this stuff. lol
Sandy

SaraBell

Familiar Face
Kt Templar said:
Ok, I know this is a powder room topic, but guys have nails too.

Will power. I used to bite my nails constantly, one day I just decided it was a horrible thing to do and stopped. I was amazed at how fast my nails grew and how often I needed to cut them.

But really, forget about the odd tasting potions.... just make the decision and stop.
I agree, I just quit cold turkey about 2 months ago. I didn't actually think it would work as I had tried that before, but it did! I'm so happy I can actually wear red nail polish now, lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner