Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some tips to help those who are clueless about men's fashion

kyboots

Practically Family
The hips are supposed to be wider than the "waist"? I take it you don't live in the United States. Pass me the chicken-fried steak.
Guys: this has really been a good thread, much to be learned and shared. I am very grateful to dog for starting this, a great forum! As a Southern boy who listened to his mother when growing up on how to dress, we really did have some good rules( some bad ones too ). Since I am a guy who still likes pleats, and a vegetarian ( strange in the South ); my hips continue to be wider than my waist and I dress that way. Double breasted suits were always considered more formal than single breasted, and most of my suits remains single breasted, The less formal the better. I always thought then a double breast suit was a carry over from tails, is this wrong? Vests would always vary with the style and the size of the lapels, so it was purely whether the current style was a 2 piece or a 3 piece for me. Same thing with suspenders, during the 80s I wore a suit every day, and I wore suspenders that I wanted people to see and take note . A lot of bright ugly suspenders still reside in my closet. The bow tie phase lasted about 2 years,just long enough for me to learn how to tie them. Bow ties are not the way to go "never trust a man..." ( opinion remember ). I really thought I was hot stuff. In the late 90s I had a major sporting accident with several broken bones and those people who witnessed it, thought I was dead. Needless my vintage became one of jeans, Wesco engineers, and an Aero Bootlegger. The Bootlegger is as close to double breast formal that I want to be sometimes. I do believe this has been a good discussion, and there have been no bad comments; Just good disagreement to the rules, which are meant to be broken when it looks good. Please keep it up!---John

Last edited:

paul1889

New in Town
I wonder about waistcoat lapels. What are the rules (traditional/common ways) to wear vests that have lapels? Are there any?

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
The hips are supposed to be wider than the "waist"? I take it you don't live in the United States. Pass me the chicken-fried steak.
Point taken. I am not sure how one flatters that body type. I think suspenders are involved.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Point taken. I am not sure how one flatters that body type. I think suspenders are involved.

It would be difficult but a skilled tailor could probably make a suit to flatter such a physique. Sidney Greenstreet certainly looked quite sharp. High waisted trousers to give the appearance of a greater height to width ratio and padded shoulders on the jacket to make them appear broader than the waist would probably help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran