Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe storage...help, please!

Classydame

One of the Regulars
Hello,

I just would like to know how all of you ladies handle your shoe storage. I have about 24 pairs including tennies and sandals, but it is growing because I adore shoes. Currently I have an over the door holder with pockets. I am putting 1 pair in each pocket. I don't think this is correct, I think it is supposed to be one shoe per pocket. Yet, I still don't have enough storage. :( I will be moving into a room that has just been painted and that shoe holder won't work because it'll mess up the paint. So I thought about getting little cubbies but my whole closet will be filled with the cubbies because It looks like I can only fit one pair into each space.

So how do you handle the shoe storage issue? Your input is greatly appreciated.

Shellie

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I use the same method you mentioned, and I prefer it to the cubby and rack storage methods (because I have so many shoes, I have all types in my closet, and I am phasing out the other styles in favor of the over the door style). I can fit a pair in each slot, and this works just fine with all but my bulky 1940s platforms (even though they say to put one shoe in each pocket, I think that only wastes space.)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
One pair in each pocket lol

Right now I have shoe racks in my walk in. To shelves of them side by side. It works great. Altho I do stack two pairs in one space :eek:

Im guilty too.

LD

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
OH MY, I have well over 100 pairs of shoes.. and I'm not joking. I change out my summer and winter shoes, keeping the other season in a large plastic tote. I've bought 5 pair in the last month! I have another tote that is just "costume" shoes in case I ever need them.

I have two under-the-bed totes with wheels so I can slide them out, from Walmart. I put a lot of my flatter shoes in there, such as sandles and such. I keep out all of the shoes I wear most often in my closet.

As for my absolute favorite pairs and/or vintage shoes, I display them on shelves and such around the house.

They also make shoe carousels that hold about 24 pair.

If you have room, I also like the cute little storage benches that have flip down storage for about 10 pairs or so.

This is something I would LOVE to have, but don't know where I'd put it,
http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Wicker_60-Pair_Womens_Shoe_Storage_Chest/410/
I'd like to attach some 40's fabric to the front of it.

Here's the main link to other options on that site,
http://www.homedecorators.com/search.php?search=shoe+storage

Nikki

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Hummmm. I keep all my vintage shoes in shoe boxes, labeled so I know what is in there and then they just get piled up in whatever cupboard I can fit them in!

I too, have many pairs of shoes. Moving this weekend and have had to face up to how many there really are... (this does not stop me from buying more!):D

epr25

Practically Family
If you look at Walmart they have small shoe size plastic see though tubs that work quite well. They are only .85 cents so pretty cost effective too. I work at a copy place so this is easy for me but I take a digital shot of the pair of shoes and tape it to the outside. This makes it easy when they are in a big stack. I have probably 200 pairs of shoes. Not all vintage but shoes through the years of collecting that are worth keeping. I store them all on one basment wall with shelves from about half way up to the ceiling. I have put half rings underneath and store more purses and handbags there. It's a cluttered mess but seems to work ok.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Ahhh... I wish I had a basement so I could do that. Well, a basement that doesn't have a dirt floor and looks like a dungeon,lol!
Nikki

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I had to go count my shoes. I have roughly 40 pairs. But to be fair I just cleaned out my closet. :eek:

Believe it or not I got this idea from actress Aisha Tyler. I was randomly flipping channels one day and came across an interview with her where she was talking about her ridiculously large shoe collection.

Anyway this is what I do. KEEP THE SHOE BOXES! I store the shoes in their boxes. I take a picture of the shoe, print it out and tape it to the outside. That way I can stack shoes on top of one another and still know what's in the box without shuffling through 15 boxes! It's a great space saver!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm another fan of the over-the-door shoe racks -- I live in a very small house, with space at a premium, and they're the most effective system I've found yet for keeping the shoes organized and accessible.

I do save my shoe boxes though -- I keep my receipts in them for my taxes :confused:

BonnieJean

Practically Family
ohairas said:
Ahhh... I wish I had a basement so I could do that. Well, a basement that doesn't have a dirt floor and looks like a dungeon,lol!
Nikki
I've got a basement just like that!

I keep my shoes on a long wire shoe rack that can be either hung over a door on mounted on a wall. Mine is mounted on the inside side of the closet. My hubby and I share a very small closet and now that he's into vintage dressing, he's taking over the closet! I'm also looking for a more efficient way to store my shoes. I can't hang anything on my bedroom doors--they're already occupied!

Caledonia

Practically Family
I've got mine in transparent boxes (approx 70) and they just line two walls round a corner in the bedroom - about 9 boxes high with some of the bag collection on top. I saw a Garfield joke once where he was looking for his Christmas present. He looked everywhere! It was in fact in front of him the whole time, a huge box (containing all his family) that took up a whole wall. Ah ha, thought I - husband will never notice how many there are! :D

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I keep current-season pairs on a rotating shoe rack, and I keep off-season shoes in a wire mesh crate under my desk. I probably have about 35 pairs, not including boots. I try to keep it under this number if at all possible.

Classydame

One of the Regulars
Thank you ladies very much! I really appreciate your input. It seems that we are all in kind of the same boat. Anyway, I think that I will be using different types of storage pockets/racks that I can fit into my closet. I'm off the search the web for more ideas.:)

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
I used to use the ones that hung in the closet. Much like the over-the-door organizer, but it hung in the closet. Doesn't take up much room if you have it to spare.

Huh, hadn't seen this style before Link
Second style

But the ones I used to have were just like the ones that hung over the door, but it was 2 sided. Huh, didn't see any with a quick search.

Just found it

Classydame

One of the Regulars
GoldLeaf said:
But the ones I used to have were just like the ones that hung over the door, but it was 2 sided. Huh, didn't see any with a quick search.

Just found it

Thank you that is very cool!

How do you ladies find such great stuff online? I must be searching wrong.

Thanks again to all of you for your great ideas!

Shellie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails