Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes To Wear With Black Tie Ensemble

Which shoe?

• Shoe 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shoe 2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Bourbon Guy said:
Ah .... That's different. When you are on a very constrained budget, you really don't have money to waste on anything half-way or make-do. Decide what you want or what you think is appropriate (in this case patent leather pumps with a grosgrain bow), begin your quest for ONE pair that fits your budget, and settle for nothing else. Regularly search on-line auctions and discount shoe sellers, as well as second hand clothing stores, looking for your size. Do that for each component of your formal attire, and when you are done you will light up the room. Good luck.

Thanks.

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
Imahomer said:
Isn't that the way it always works? ;)

Oh, brother, ain't it the truth! I gave up trying to cobble together something "just as good" a long time ago. Now "buy it once and be done with it" is my motto. Someone once told me that 5 years later you won't remember the extra $XX you spent on it. All you will remember is the pleasure you have derived from using what you really wanted.

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
cufflinkmaniac said:

You're very welcome. Mind you, that is just my approach. For the same money, I would rather have one excellent quality suit that fits me impeccably, rather than have ten junk suits that look like I've been shoplifting at Walmart. To each his own.

Geesie

Practically Family
Bourbon Guy said:
Strikes me that by the time you find an apporpriate bow, or have one made, and then have it installed on the shoes, you may be approaching what you would have paid for a proper pair in the first place if you shop around.

The Brutini pumps in the OP are $70. $261 - $70 = $191
I certainly hope it wouldn't cost that much to put a bow on the shoes.

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Bourbon Guy said:
You're very welcome. Mind you, that is just my approach. For the same money, I would rather have one excellent quality suit that fits me impeccably, rather than have ten junk suits that look like I've been shoplifting at Walmart. To each his own.

Same here!

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
You're right. I didn't actually do the math on this one. Although I suppose it depends upon how nice of a bow you want. ;)

I think you can find a pair of patent pumps with a bow without paying
Brooks prices if you really look around and wait for a deal to appear. Unless you need them next week, then I'd get the patents without the bow.

Geesie

Practically Family
As far as I'm concerned, I've got a formal ball for New Year's and then opera season starts. If I haven't found any in my size in the last 6 months, I don't think I'll find any soon enough.

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
Geesie said:
As far as I'm concerned, I've got a formal ball for New Year's and then opera season starts. If I haven't found any in my size in the last 6 months, I don't think I'll find any soon enough.

Time constraints change everything. If I had to have them right now the patents without the bow (number 1?) are hard to beat.

GWD

One Too Many
From Clothes and the Man, by Alan Flusser

Some more official documentation on the matter. In this day and age, the oxfords would probably be more practical. (I'd opt for the pumps)

web.jpg
web.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters