Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes To Wear With Black Tie Ensemble

Which shoe?

• Shoe 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shoe 2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

David V

A-List Customer
scotrace said:
That simply isn't correct.

See also: The London Lounge "Nothing But Tails"

You can wear them as you like, of course, but traditionally, pumps are paired with white tie.

Sorry but there is nothing in the article which states that the pump is fit only for white tie.
It is the prefered shoe for semi and formal wear.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
David V said:
Sorry but there is nothing in the article which states that the pump is fit only for white tie.
True. And Etutee's piece did contain this tidbit:

salbreakcopy2to.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
And this from the Footwear archive, LL (which elaborates on the correctness of the pump for evening wear):

img0847ya5.jpg

I'll yield the either/or point. The case can be made either way.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
GWD said:
This is the most entertaining thread I've read in awhile.lol

Thank goodness my father isn't alive to see me belaboring under what conditions it is correct to wear little shiny slippers with pretty bows. lol

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
cufflinkmaniac said:
I think I will go for the Brutini pumps in calfskin.It would be nice if there were a place to get the bows needed for opera pumps,and then just take them to a cobbler to have the necessary slits cut into the shoe and attach the bow.I know the vamp is a bit high,but higher vamp opera pumps do exist.Case in point:

moreschishoes_com_calf_pumps_high_vampB.jpg

Strikes me that by the time you find an apporpriate bow, or have one made, and then have it installed on the shoes, you may be approaching what you would have paid for a proper pair in the first place if you shop around.

Imahomer

Practically Family
Bourbon Guy said:
Strikes me that by the time you find an apporpriate bow, or have one made, and then have it installed on the shoes, you may be approaching what you would have paid for a proper pair in the first place if you shop around.

Isn't that the way it always works? ;)

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
cufflinkmaniac said:
Every so slightly out of the 16 year olds budget.

Ah .... That's different. When you are on a very constrained budget, you really don't have money to waste on anything half-way or make-do. Decide what you want or what you think is appropriate (in this case patent leather pumps with a grosgrain bow), begin your quest for ONE pair that fits your budget, and settle for nothing else. Regularly search on-line auctions and discount shoe sellers, as well as second hand clothing stores, looking for your size. Do that for each component of your formal attire, and when you are done you will light up the room. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters