Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Short Films

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
A feature length film is defined as a movie or documentary that is 40 minutes or more.

A short film is defined as a movie or documentary that is one minute to 40 minutes long. I know there are a couple of creators of short films on the lounge, but what about viewers of short films?

Where can we see short films or a short film?

What are some short films you have seen in a theater?

How about a film festival?

On the web?

Included in a DVD?

Here's two short films that I've shared numerous times, and will now share with you.

Rear View Mirror - Directed by Chris Valenziano

and here's an awkward one called Les Pantless Menace - Directed by Evan Mather

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
I have a DVD titled, Cavalcade of Comedy: The Paramount Comedy Shorts 1929 - 1933. Sixteen complete films starring; Burns and Allen, Jack Benny, Eddie Cantor, Milton Berle, Bing Crosby, George Jessel, Mack Swain, Ben Turpin and more. A lot of fun to be had in 216 minutes, total. :)

Lee

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm a huge fan of vintage shorts -- a chance to see Golden Era vaudeville-type performances which would otherwise have been lost forever. A lot of the recent classic film packages, especially those issued by Warner Bros, have been rich in vintage shorts, but the real prize will be the deluxe DVD release of "The Jazz Singer" this fall -- in addition to a restored version of the legendary Jolson part-talkie, the package will include an extensive sampling of rare Vitaphone shorts from 1927-30, featuring popular comedians, singers, dancers, dance bands, and novelty acts.

As to modern shorts, we usually book a package of Oscar-nominated and Oscar-winning shorts each year, becoming one of the few theatres where you can actually see these films as they were intended to be seen. My favorite of the recent crop was "A Note Of Triumph -- The Golden Age Of Norman Corwin," a look at the life and times of the radio poet-dramatist who continues to work well into his 90s.

twobarbreak

One of the Regulars
I enjoy Vitaphone shorts as well as Soundies and have a nice size collection from over the years. I simply cannot get enough!

I've uploaded a good handful on youtube if you want to check some out...my user name is the same as here.

Feraud

Bartender
twobarbreak said:
I enjoy Vitaphone shorts as well as Soundies and have a nice size collection from over the years. I simply cannot get enough!

I've uploaded a good handful on youtube if you want to check some out...my user name is the same as here.
Thanks. I will check them out.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Travelogues!

I love those Soundies and Vitaphone shorts, but I've only seen them on TV. I always get a charge out of Pete Smith Specialties. But I always loved the travelogues in the theaters! "And so, as the sun sets slowly in the west, we bid a fond farewell to . . . (fill in the blank). At the day camp I went to as a kid, when it rained they always pulled of the warbly old 16mm projector and showed us bleary old color films of people water skiing in Florida, or doing Highland Flings in Scotland. I loved them!
Also, in the early 50's Disney did a series of short films that were great. They included "Water Birds", "Bear Country", and "Men Against the Arctic".

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Once a year The Vitaphone Project - a restoration consortium dedicated to rescuing the early Warners sound-on-disc pictures - screens a short subject program at Film Forum in NYC. It's always a great show, very much oriented (as were the shorts) toward vaudeville.

Unfortunately, once the show is over, those particular films go back in the lockup, because Time Warner can't be bothered to license even a small run DVD set - their lawyers don't work cheap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran